Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to change my oil very soon.

Before hand, I plan to put in Chevron fuel additive and fill up my tank. Just about when Im at 1/4 tank of gas, I will change the oil filter and oil.

Thanks to CNN's article, I found the drain bolt and oil drain. However, I cant seem to find Bosch 3233 at my local auto store at a good price.

Where are you buying your oil filter for Bosch or WIX? Im considering eBay.

I can find the Tough Guard at AutoZone for $7.99. I was told this is good for Synthetic oil. In the past I would just use the normal Fram, but now Im worried that it can break down quicker and I should use heavier duty filters like Bosch or Wix since I use synthetic. I don't change my oil and filter until 9 - 10K miles.

Thoughts?

thanks guys..

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I usually grab mine at NAPA. The Gold filter is a good WIX unit. Usually $6-$7.

·
Registered
73 Posts
same here, NAPA

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
The Chevron fuel additive is OK, but a better choice is Red Line SI-1 Complete Fuel System Cleaner. The reason is that it is the only cleaner that still reports on its spec sheet that it contains polyether amines – a powerful solvent. If you cannot find SI-1 at the auto parts store, then Sea Foam Motor Treatment is a good 2nd choice and seems easier to find.

Oil filters and oil are like politics and religion, every body had an opinion. Visit Bob is the Oil Guy to find out more than you ever want to know. Some of the filters motioned above have issues with bypass valves and separation of the filer medium from its attachments. This is not the place to pinch pennies. I would recommend the Mobile 1 filter (M1-104) and Mobile 1 synthetic oil.

If an oil "beaks down" as you mention, it will just fail to lubricate properly and its additives will get used up -- no filter, heavy duty or not, will rescue the oil. Just change the oil frequently.

The best practice is to change your oil every 3,000 miles.

However, if you are driving it like you stole it, then – never mind.

Red Line Synthetic Oil - Gasoline Fuel Additives - SI-1 Complete Fuel System Cleaner

Welcome

Sea Foam | Motor Treatment

Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filters

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Any particular reason you guys do not use OEM Honda Filters? They are pretty cheap.

·
Registered
164 Posts
If an oil "beaks down" as you mention, it will just fail to lubricate properly and its additives will get used up -- no filter, heavy duty or not, will rescue the oil. Just change the oil frequently.

The best practice is to change your oil every 3,000 miles.
There is no need to change oil every 3,000 miles. Please don't waste oil!

+1 on using OEM Honda oil filters

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
+1 on using OEM Honda oil filters
Especially if your van is still under warranty. One less thing they can blame the engine failure on............

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
There was some issue with Honda O.F. Maybe they used Fram as supplier.
Whatever it is, Fram is garbage.

Mobil1 is made by Champion Lab. This study is a bit old but it gives you an inside look at how these O.F.'s are made:

Oil Filters Revealed - MiniMopar Resources

I have been using Bosch filters in my VW, Volvo, BMW, Honda for 20 years, no issues whatsoever. Therefore I stick to Bosch products.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Oem filters are ok, but I also use Wix and have been quite pleased with their construction.

3000 miles is way to soon to change oil. These engines are not hard in oil and you can go much further depending on your driving style.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
There was some issue with Honda O.F. Maybe they used Fram as supplier.
Whatever it is, Fram is garbage.

Mobil1 is made by Champion Lab. This study is a bit old but it gives you an inside look at how these O.F.'s are made:

Oil Filters Revealed - MiniMopar Resources

I have been using Bosch filters in my VW, Volvo, BMW, Honda for 20 years, no issues whatsoever. Therefore I stick to Bosch products.
I use them in my MR2.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Any particular reason you guys do not use OEM Honda Filters? They are pretty cheap.
Here is the quote from my local dealer

FILTER, OIL (FILTECH TOYO ROKI)
$16.19 Dealer Price

My local dealer is a THIEF! and that pisses me off and makes me go out of my way to ensure they never get a dime of my money. I have a personal problem with outright price raping.

At some online stores, I see OEM Honda filters for $5 + shipping, so I could buy 6 of them for about $40 shipped (need to buy quantity to offset shipping)

I get the Pure One from Amazon for $5 with free shipping.

I beleive the Pure One to be a more consistent higher quality filter for slightly less money after shipping. I have no real proof though. I have also read about people getting counterfeit Honda filters on ebay, so I tend to stay away from those deals.

I will use other filters bought locally if I see a deal. I just had a napa gold filter in the Ody from a deal they had last year, buy 5 quarts of synthetic oil and a filter for $15.

I took my old Camry 150k miles on the low end regular old purelator oil filters from pep boys. I bought them in bulk when they went on sale for $2 each, that car never burned a drop of oil or smoked (and was not driven gently)

I am really not sure how much the filter actually matters if you only keep a car 150k miles. I just know that a catastrophic filter failure can take out the entire engine (RE: Fram) and that is that single largest thing I want to avoid (not worth saving a $1 over), as for which filter actually filters slightly better, not sure it matters that much in the big picture.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Traditionally...they have always been about 5 bucks at the dealer....Last week it was 7...........paid no attention....I will be going to Bosch nest time

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
FYI,

I did an autopsy on the Bosch Oil Filter 3323, this is what it looks like, very solidly built, great product!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Motorcycle Oil Filter Cross Reference I know this reference is for motorcylce filters but there is some interesting information here similar to what cnn posted above. FWIW I'm a Purolator Pure One user in all applications and have zero affiliation to the link provided. The full grit coating on their filters is a nice feature for easy removal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sinbad is absolutely correct - everyone has a solidly held opinion about oil filters - and tires for that matter. Here is my spin, and I got this from a buddy of mine who is a certified Mobil "lubrication engineer". With modern oils, the weak point of any automotive oil system is the filter. He recommended to me to use full synthetic oil (I use Mobil 5W30 because it is readily available at Sam's or Costco) and change it every 10,000 miles. He also recommended that I change the filter every 2500 miles or so. With the Ody, this is pretty easy - with the engine cold, turn the wheels all the way left, spin off the filter -you'll lose about 1/4 cup of oil, and replace with new. I do use OEM filters as I have some warranty left, and I don't want to give Honda any way to wiggle out of it. I've had people tell me this is overkill, but it's cheap overkill. This method is also easy to keep track of just using the odometer. OBTW, my local oil change joint reclaims my oil for me - do I feel guilty? Not!

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Update,

I was at the Honda dealer and see that they still have this on the Oil Filter Label:

"Honda Genuine Part, Honeywell, Made in Canada".

So, the bottom line is Honda O.F. is still made by Fram (Honeywell).

Anyway, I am sticking to Bosch 3323 Oil Filter ($6 at Autozone), zero issues for the last 10 years using Bosch brand (on my 2001 Ody and my current 2007 Ody).

·
Registered
372 Posts
FYI,

I did an autopsy on the Bosch Oil Filter 3323, this is what it looks like, very solidly built, great product!
Do you have an autopsy of the OEM Fram/Honeywell/Honda Genuine Filter?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Sorry, but for $21.99 at my local Honda dealer, not a chance I am climbing under the van to change oil and I already verified they use Honda oil filters and Honda-labeled 5w-20 oil. The van will fall apart before I actually wear the engine down to care too much about something as unproven as oil filters comparisons, even with cut open examples. Instead of climbing under the van, I get to relax in their comfy leather couches with my laptop (free wifi), drinking my free cup of Starbuck's, eating my free Dunkin' Donut and watching SportsCenter on ESPN. When the time comes to change the wipers, I only pay the $11 for the actual wipers and they even put them on free. They tell me how much brake pads I have left, run the van through the computer to check for recalls and then park my newly washed van outside. I pay, they say thank you, and a week later I get a thank you letter with another $21.99 oil change coupon along with several other service specials if needed.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts