Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replaced the spark plugs in my '05 EX-L (w/120k mi) and two plug hole coils had oil on them. Both of the respective coils had seals at the top that had popped out. I can't get the seals to stay back in and wonder if that is what is causing the oil to pool on the spark plugs. All spark plug tips and threads were clean of oil so it's obviously coming from "above". I've search this forum but can't seem to find any past experience with this issue. Otherwise, the van has no apparent misfire or ignition issues.

Should I just replace the coils (just to get new seals) or is there another issue that I'm missing?

Thank you!

Brandon

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Indeed--I sat down and did some head scratching and realized the spark plug tube must have a gasket at the bottom end as well as the top. Looks like both front and rear gasket kits will include the "Seal, Spark Plug" that look to be leaking (one tube is leaking on each bank, wha-who).

Now the question is whether I should just replace the valve cover gaskets or have my local mechanic adjust the valves in addition to the gaskets.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Indeed--I sat down and did some head scratching and realized the spark plug tube must have a gasket at the bottom end as well as the top. Looks like both front and rear gasket kits will include the "Seal, Spark Plug" that look to be leaking (one tube is leaking on each bank, wha-who).

Now the question is whether I should just replace the valve cover gaskets or have my local mechanic adjust the valves in addition to the gaskets.
+1 on the oil tube seals that are leaking. Some cars have valve cover gaskets with integrated seals, some come separate.

If you pick just the valve cover gasket route, would you do the job yourself? If so, just learn how to adjust the valves. Eric the car guy has a video on youtube and adjust valves yourself or leave them alone.

If mechanic would do you covers to begin with, ask how much extra for valves. If the price is reasonable, then go for it.
Max

·
Registered
174 Posts
Fel-Pro VS50607R for J35A6.
VS50607R1 for J35A7 (EX & Touring)

About $36 or $37 on eBay, includes the spark plug tube seals and exterior grommets where the hold down nuts/bolts are.

·
Registered
449 Posts
You have to remove the complete valve cover. Check utube for Odyssey valve cover

1 - 7 of 7 Posts