Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago I notice a quarter sized puddle of oil after parking in my garage. It is on the passenger side.

I took the vehicle to Honda of Fort Myers FL, they put it on the lift and after inspection, invited me to have a look as well. I must have that attitude that gave the service manager that impression as he said to me "you look like the kind of guy that wants to see for himself."

They pointed out to me two areas in question.
One was where the mechanic had removed a small cover plate over the transmission shift cable connection. They stated that the seal on that sahft was leaking and needed to be replaced.

The other spot was on the passenger side of the engine block at what appeared to be about a 5mm headless hexed bolt into the block. I asked what that was and the svc mge replied "Some sort of oil galley"

The kicker... Although this bolt is somewhat near the right drive axle I had a clear view. The svc mgr stated it would be $170 to remove / check / replace that bolt beacuse they had to remove the axle to do so!

It was going to be $120 for the seal replacement on the trans connection.

I have worked on cars for 40+ years and it sure seems to me that with a flex head ratchet and / or a universal joint, that bolt would be accessible witout removing the axle!

Anyone else have similar experiences?

$270 to replace a 3/4" seal and put a little teflon tape on a bolt seems just a bit exhorbitant to me.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Yea, you'd use ingenuity. They have to go by the book and use processes that have been researched to work perfectly over time.

Try a independent.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Search here on "2000 oil leak" for previous experiences. Black button top right.

I'd get another opinion too.

·
Registered
355 Posts
You may want to have an independent shop have a look at it for a quote. I just had the same seal replaced at the shop I use, as well as replaced the timing belt, water pump, all pulleys and tensioners, and the serpentine belt for $770.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had my timing belt done at somewhere aroud 105K.

Do you remember what the itemization was on that trans shift seal?

All in all that seems a bit high on that work but I guess it depends on which area of the country you are in.

·
Registered
355 Posts
The front crank seal was $21.95.

The labor portion on the work I had done was only $395, the parts were the killer. Some were a little higher than list others were cheaper than list, it worked out to the same as ordering from Majestic Honda and paying shipping so I was fine with it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! I just ordered them.

Had heard about some type of airlift kit in the past but no one I spoke to in retail, including dealership, could ever locate anything for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts