Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 Odyssey with almost 150,000 miles. Have used Mobil 1 5w20 or 5w30 from Day 1. Just noticed an oil leak. It appears to be coming down the back of the oil pan and collecting on the back and bottom of the pan. Looks like I've lost a quart over several weeks, not a lot of driving. It may be a coincidence, but the leak did not start until just after I had the front and side engine mounts replaced.

Two questions:

1. Does the location of the leaking oil suggest anything as to a likely source of the leak?

2. Would/could replacing the engine mounts disturb something so as to cause a leak?

Thanks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have pics and it's (sort of) cleaned up now. But, to describe it a bit more fully, it's a pretty broad area that's covered with oil, including the pan and the transmission, and appears to be coming from the back. I realize oil can get sprayed around by wind and such, but I really don't think the filter or the drain plug is the source.

Where is the oil pump area in the engine compartment?

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
The best way to find out is clean everything up good and then monitor to see where it gets oily first. Shops have something they can put in the oil then look at it with something a black light. It could be anything, valve cover, oil pressure switch, etc.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let's suppose it is something pricey like the rear main seal. Is there any harm done in trying Lucas Stop Leak and/or moving to a higher viscosity oil? I know the only oils that Honda OFFICIALLY recommends are 5w20 and 5w30 as a temporary substitute, but I wonder if there are some high mileage oils that might be worth trying.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have this exact same issue on my 2002 Ody with 140,000 miles. Only started within the past year. During that time I've had the timing chain replaced, new motor mounts installed (mechanic found old ones were broken during timing chain replacement), and had the transmission rebuilt. Bought the vehicle new in 2002, and didn't notice any oil leak issues for the majority of the life of the vehicle. It is definately oil, not transmission fluid and appears to be coming from above the level of the oil pan seal. Have it on a lift now and am going to try to clean the oil off, run the engine, and observe to see if I can identify the source.

I've read the post regarding engine block porosity, but assume that is not something that would just begin to start after 8-9 years. Appreciate any advice on most likely suspect locations to watch and check.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Similar problem while doing a timing belt service. Doesn't seem like the front or rear engine crank seal leak, and the cam seals don't leak. I did notice that the dipstick washer was super worn and damaged, so this could cause part of the leak, but there is too much oil for this to be the primary cause. Super late reply.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts