Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, my wife gets home from oil change at dealer and it smells like oil. I assume its the drippings, happened before. A week later, still smells like oil in the garage. I happen to pull the van out into the driveway for another reason and lo and behold there is a small puddle of oil on the garage, in more than one place. Lovely. I bend over and look under the van. Oil is seeping from the drain bolt or what appears to be the drain bolt.

Go back to the dealer and am told it was a "faulty" crush washer and that we definitely changed it oh yeah, definitely, just faulty, and it happens. I smell oil, and a lie. Or am I overreacting? Has this happened to anyone else? A "faulty" crush washer? I hold judgement in case it has happened to anyone else.

I've already had to purchase a torque wrench to make sure my wheels get properly tightened everytime I rotate tires at the dealer even though I feel I shouldn't have to. Maybe now I will need to buy a drain pan and jacks to start changing my own oil as well. I'm getting to old for this crap.

rant done
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,606 Posts
That and among other reasons is exactly WHY I do all my oil/tranny fluid changes myself.

BTW, with the many Honda's we've owned, I have NEVER replaced the crush washer and it has NEVER leaked from that area in over 30 years with the many Honda's we've owned.

Just make sure to orientate the washer correctly.

There is a distinct possibility the dealer over tightened the bolt and stripped the threads not allowing proper torque to seal the hole?

Of course they'll not admit to the error.....

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,163 Posts
The most likely problem is they didn't tighten the drain bolt. Using the old crush washer is no problem. If you mic the old and new crush washer you will find they are within ,001 inch of each other. They call it a crush washer but in my opinion it is just a acurately machined washer and is really not much softer than the aluminum housing. Develop the habit of checking your fluid levels regularly and double check any maintenance done by others. It could save you a blown engine someday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,235 Posts
chiody said:

BTW, with the many Honda's we've owned, I have NEVER replaced the crush washer and it has NEVER leaked from that area in over 30 years with the many Honda's we've owned.
Same here. The only washers I've replaced were those on vehicles I've purchased used and had a few Iffy-Loob visits under their belt. Other than that, they could last the life of the drain bolt. The other recommendation that cracks me up is the use of a torque wrench for the drain bolt! You gotta be kidding me!!

Joel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
310 Posts
bryan11 said:
Ok, my wife gets home from oil change at dealer and it smells like oil. I assume its the drippings, happened before. A week later, still smells like oil in the garage. I happen to pull the van out into the driveway for another reason and lo and behold there is a small puddle of oil on the garage, in more than one place. Lovely. I bend over and look under the van. Oil is seeping from the drain bolt or what appears to be the drain bolt.

Go back to the dealer and am told it was a "faulty" crush washer and that we definitely changed it oh yeah, definitely, just faulty, and it happens. I smell oil, and a lie. Or am I overreacting? Has this happened to anyone else? A "faulty" crush washer? I hold judgement in case it has happened to anyone else.

I've already had to purchase a torque wrench to make sure my wheels get properly tightened everytime I rotate tires at the dealer even though I feel I shouldn't have to. Maybe now I will need to buy a drain pan and jacks to start changing my own oil as well. I'm getting to old for this crap.

rant done
I bet they don't give you half off for doing only half the job they should have. Don't get discouraged. Find another dealer service if possible.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,606 Posts
MTPockets08 said:
Same here. The only washers I've replaced were those on vehicles I've purchased used and had a few Iffy-Loob visits under their belt. Other than that, they could last the life of the drain bolt. The other recommendation that cracks me up is the use of a torque wrench for the drain bolt! You gotta be kidding me!!

Joel
Yeah, with my 3/8" drive ratchet I can estimate adequate torque to keep the drain bolt in place. Its NOT rocket science afterall!! Even with oil filters, hand tightening is enough as with heat cycling, the filters tightens up quite a bit hence a wrench is required to remove it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
bryan11,

you don't even need jacks. you can reach under to remove the drain plug without jacks. only thing is your nose gets pretty intimate with the plastic engine shield :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,127 Posts
bryan11, Do name the dealer. It is not against any rules around here and may help others. If dyi oil changes are not your thing, using another dealer is always an option. (sometimes essential) Also (and I have done this) calling the service manager, usually mid-afternoon when they aren't slammed, and pointing out their short comings politely will or should be greeted welcomely. My complaint was that after service, my tires (and the tires on my wife's Ody) would be set to 32 lb. He of course wanted to know what tech. I had to tell him it was multiple vehicles and several techs. I suggested bring the importance of correct tire pressure up at a meeting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,553 Posts
DIY is best

chiody said:
That and among other reasons is exactly WHY I do all my oil/tranny fluid changes myself.


Same here. Haven't let anyone else do my oil changes for 30+ years. And unlike the dealers those of us that do our own changes we crawl underneath once we are done and check for leaks (engine running). We also lube the oil filter gasket with oil and even prefill the filter (if possible)...
I have never seen dealers do any of these things, they give the task to the most junior staff and want the vehicle in and out in the least possible time.. (when i pull the drain plug I find something else to do for a least 1/2 hour so as to let as much of the oil as possibe drain out)...


I switched to a Fram Sure Drain so I never have to worry about crush washers or stripping the drain plugs threads since its installed and torqued up only once and never removed...Others have uses fumoto valves...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,606 Posts
Richie_Richie said:
bryan11,

you don't even need jacks. you can reach under to remove the drain plug without jacks. only thing is your nose gets pretty intimate with the plastic engine shield :D
Nahh, just shove the sucker up out of the way!!!

;) ;) ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,606 Posts
Re: DIY is best

bbylon5 said:
Same here. Haven't let anyone else do my oil changes for 30+ years. And unlike the dealers those of us that do our own changes we crawl underneath once we are done and check for leaks (engine running). We also lube the oil filter gasket with oil and even prefill the filter (if possible)...
I have never seen dealers do any of these things, they give the task to the most junior staff and want the vehicle in and out in the least possible time.. (when i pull the drain plug I find something else to do for a least 1/2 hour so as to let as much of the oil as possibe drain out)...


I switched to a Fram Sure Drain so I never have to worry about crush washers or stripping the drain plugs threads since its installed and torqued up only once and never removed...Others have uses fumoto valves...
I like to have it sit overnight if possible for a "complete" drain. Yeah, I'm anal!!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
egads said:
bryan11, Do name the dealer. It is not against any rules around here and may help others. If dyi oil changes are not your thing, using another dealer is always an option. (sometimes essential) Also (and I have done this) calling the service manager, usually mid-afternoon when they aren't slammed, and pointing out their short comings politely will or should be greeted welcomely. My complaint was that after service, my tires (and the tires on my wife's Ody) would be set to 32 lb. He of course wanted to know what tech. I had to tell him it was multiple vehicles and several techs. I suggested bring the importance of correct tire pressure up at a meeting.
Clawson Honda in Fresno, CA.

This particular dealer also tried to charge me for a brake repair, but my wife argued it was covered under a TSB and they relented. Why all this fighting for decent service?

I've since moved to LA county now and once again I am having a dealer issue. I made an appointment (Norm Reeves West Covina) to have the power steering pump checked out and the inside sliding door handle sticking issue. They want 160 dollar just to diagnose. (80 per half hour??) I am under warranty. What a pain. I know they won't find anything, so why bother. I canceled the appointment.

The power steering only acts up when in parking lots and turning the steering wheel fast from right to left for example. Think the dealer will find it? nah. Makes me want to get rid of the van before the warranty runs out. I was considering the new Acura MDX, but now have little confidence in Honda. I have little confidence in all car makers though. Toyota hasn't been great with my Prius either. Some of the stuff they do is just plain laughable. (I caught them not rotating my tires by setting the pressures to something crazy. When I got the car back, same tires, same pressures. No rotation but I paid for it! How many times did they do that? They apologized and rotated but jeez) BMW, the same. They gave me slack on repairs and treated me like they were doing me a favor. At least they gave me free starbucks. :mad:

Anyway, should I complain to Honda about the mandatory diagnostic fee of 160 bucks, or just let it go?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,127 Posts
All dealers will ask for a diagnostic fee. If the diagnosis reveals a warranty repair, the fee is waived. Your best bet is to search here for any problems. Power steering, sliding door handles, if it's a common issue, we have a thread or 2 (or 20 because newbies don't search) on it. That way you can go into a dealer armed with what it is and in some cases, a copy of Honda's own service bulletin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,074 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
310 Posts
Every time the dealer service changes my oil or other fluids I pull over in a parking lot a few blocks away and check the levels and look around for leaks. Always. I don't want to go home and get a nice oil stain on my driveway and have to go all the way back to the dealer for them to tell me "oops, sorry".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Ok, the diagnostic charge was standard protocol from their website, which is how I made the appointment because my wife called and they said no charge bring it in, so she did.

Of course, they found nothing wrong with the power steering. It only acts up in parking lots and you have to drive it regularly to feel it. They also didn't find the handle sticking on the sliding door but that doesn't bother me. The power steering is an issue for me because I am almost out of warranty. (32000 miles) That will be an expensive repair at a later date.

I need to make a decision now to either get rid of it and buy another new car or keep it til it dies so to speak. I know its cheaper in the long run to keep it and repair it, but I hate dealer repairs. I hate dealing with service depts....most are inept and/or arrogant. I have been keeping cars under warranty for a while now just to avoid the expensive repair costs and dealing with what seems to be monkeys in the garage. Problem is, I need to start being more responsible with my money and not so spendy american consumer. Just so much easier to buy a new car. But where? I looked at other forums and same thing. Inept service depts and arrogant car makers are the norm.

So I just try to buy a car I will be most happy with, like from Honda. I think they make great driving cars for a relatively low price. BMW is my favorite but boy are they pricey. I have my eye on the new Acura MDX because of the performance factor it brings. 300 hp, adjustable suspension, better brakes. Everything I wish my Odyssey has. Oh and sigalert traffic control, nice. Just no sliding doors, bummer. Of course, buying a luxury brand like Acura doesn't mean better service.

*Edit* Oh, I took the TSB for power steering in and they rejected it because it said only in cold weather does the noise manifest itself. I understand their concern, they might not get paid from Honda by doing the repair. I know the steering is having issues though.
 
E

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
i had my power steering and brakes done at Spirit honda but of the adviser was a b***h, had to get my dad to fight for it to get done..:rolleyes: ...but the mechanic was extremely help full.
When i went to Diamond Honda, where i had good service before, i saw this lady and i was like..."she looks familiar" that when i realized it was the same adviser from Spirit and she got transferred.:rolleyes:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,606 Posts
eneka said:
i had my power steering and brakes done at Spirit honda but of the adviser was a b***h, had to get my dad to fight for it to get done..:rolleyes: ...but the mechanic was extremely help full.
When i went to Diamond Honda, where i had good service before, i saw this lady and i was like..."she looks familiar" that when i realized it was the same adviser from Spirit and she got transferred.:rolleyes:
Try a third dealer, you know what they say about things happening in 3's? I wouldn't be surprised you'd see her again?

:) :) :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I just had a 90,000 tuneup in April and took my car to Showcase Honda for a oil change and went to go shopping this morning and I have oil dripped on my driveway. I go back to the dealer and they look at it and come back out and tell me it is the valve cover (I just had replaced in April with my tuneup). I put a sheet of white paper under my car and will check in morning if still dripping and will go back to the shop where I had my 90,000 done. I didn't have any problems prior to taking in for an oil change.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top