Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Honda Odyssey EX-L in Slate Green Metallic 115k
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, was poking around my 2009 ex-l the other day and found a small sweating oil leak on the passenger side, coming from under the motor mount, above crank pulley. Can anyone advise on what is leaking? What to replace?

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
This looks very insignificant to me. It’s possible that it is power steering fluid dripping from above. Any sign of seepage from the hose that goes into the top of the pump? Especially look at where the metal piece crimps onto the rubber hose.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like it was the hose into the power steering pump. Thanks all! Gonna try to get one of the screw hose clamps and secure it on.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Looks like it was the hose into the power steering pump. Thanks all! Gonna try to get one of the screw hose clamps and secure it on.
You can try that but I doubt that it will work or last. When you buy a new hose be sure to get a genuine Honda part. This is also a good time to flush the power steering fluid and install the new and improved reservoir.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Something I have a learned from @John Clark, I had an issue like that....not as a big, but the screw holding the bottom hose (low pressure) was wet on steering wheel fluid. I thought it was the clamps holding the hose, per @John Clark recommendation was to replace the low pressure hose and leave the clamps alone. I ended up replacing the hose and keeping my old oem clamps and so far dry as a bone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can try that but I doubt that it will work or last. When you buy a new hose be sure to get a genuine Honda part. This is also a good time to flush the power steering fluid and install the new and improved reservoir.
New and improved reservoir? Aftermarket part?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
No, Honda part. The new power steering reservoir has a white dot on it as I recall. Several threads about it.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Honda improved the filter screen in the reservoir but kept the part number the same. The new improved reservoirs have a white paint dot on the top. I don’t know if they still do that or not.
It is very inexpensive. Less than $20. You also need to buy a new red cap as it does not come with the reservoir and the old one fits too loose.

I recommend you go to Bernardiparts.com and buy a new hose, reservoir, cap, and several bottles of Honda power steering fluid. The fluid is cheap at around $3 a bottle. Cheaper than aftermarket fluid. Buy 6 bottles so you can do a thorough flush. I don’t recall if the new hose requires new o-rings or not. Free shipping at Bernardi.

·
Registered
13,424 Posts
Also, in addition to a new OEM inlet hose I recommend changing the o-rings for the plastic inlet fitting on the side and the pressure hose on the top. Additionally, keep an eye on the pressure hose on top as those like to start leaking at or near the crimp fitting with age and miles.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I assumed, perhaps mistakenly, that he was referring to the hose at top with metal crimp. That's why I was skeptical of a metal band clamp working at that location.

·
Registered
13,424 Posts
Yeah, put a new hose on that. Cheap and will fix you up.

Reactions: kaimanson

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Reuse that spring clamp. Much better than those screw band clamps in this application.

·
Registered
13,424 Posts
Reuse that spring clamp. Much better than those screw band clamps in this application.
Correct. If the new hose doesn't come with the clamps you can reuse. The issue is not the clamp. It's the old and dried out hose.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts