Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 06 Odyssey has now just shy of 130k kms, goign this saturday for a B2 service, this will also be the last time the car will be service under the warranty period( no relation in there just a fact to poiint out).
im going to ask the dealer to check for any outstanding recalls or software updates and for any noises or issues(THERE ARE NOISES BUT IM ALWAYS TOLD ITS NORMAL...). thing is, i noticed today an oil spot(a few actually) on my parking spot(only I park there). it might not having anything to do with, but i noticed thaT IN THE PAST 2 weeks my oil temperature is around 80 degrees celsius when i could bet that before was always at 90 or just around 90. im going to point out the leak to be checked, but should i be alarmed?what could cause the leak? the engine? the transmission?

·
Registered
9,318 Posts
First step is to determine what the fluid is. Put a white piece of paper under the van and catch a drop. Transmission fluid is red. Engine oil is brown. Coolant is green or blue.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I wouldn't be alarmed. In fact, I'd love the timing if your warranty is about to go out. If it's the oil pan gasket or valve cover and you have seal and gasket coverage than you should be good to go (minus your deductible if you have one).

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my power train warranty and full warranty both finish now at 130k kms(got extended warranty) having less than 700kms to reach that limit. i would say the leak started within the last 3 weeks(which would match the time aroiund when i noticed the temperature not being at 90 or around...i am confused. well will let the mechanic inspect it..

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Where under the car is the leak? near the oil pan? To one side or the other? Another thing which can leak brownish fluid is the side engine mount when it fails (we're at 120k mi. and I have replaced the front and side motor mounts (reasonably straightforward - we have an EX, so normal-ish mounts, rather than the obscenely expensive one in cars with VCM...)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
driver side right behind the motor. i got all 3 mounts replaced last year in july, but the van lately seems as rough with VCM ON as it was when the mounts were damaged... was told the "new" mounts wont "break" that easy....

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i dropped the ody in the dealer(ready Honda Mississauga) and i will have a nissan altima v6(pretty nice car actually, surprised with it) loaded:D:D until Wednesday...
i will report back then with all the details, but according to the dealer i would have been looking at a $2000 repair bill if i didnt have warranty. oil pan was fine as it was the engine mounts, but three different places were leaking including an area between the engine and the transmission. my previous AC compressor noise wasnt that but something else(although the dealer were i bought the car told me it was normal and i shouldnt be worried...). power steering pump will be replaced as well...
boy, a few things to be replaced but i will only pay for the B2 service...
as soon as i get the repair report, it will follow a letter of complaint to honda of canada about the awesome( /NOT) service Midtown honda gives to their clients. I will make some noise about this. They knew my warranty was almost up and ignore every single complain i have made.

·
Registered
54 Posts
i dropped the ody in the dealer(ready Honda Mississauga) and i will have a nissan altima v6(pretty nice car actually, surprised with it) loaded:D:D until Wednesday...
i will report back then with all the details, but according to the dealer i would have been looking at a $2000 repair bill if i didnt have warranty. oil pan was fine as it was the engine mounts, but three different places were leaking including an area between the engine and the transmission. my previous AC compressor noise wasnt that but something else(although the dealer were i bought the car told me it was normal and i shouldnt be worried...). power steering pump will be replaced as well...
boy, a few things to be replaced but i will only pay for the B2 service...
as soon as i get the repair report, it will follow a letter of complaint to honda of canada about the awesome( /NOT) service Midtown honda gives to their clients. I will make some noise about this. They knew my warranty was almost up and ignore every single complain i have made.
Not to downgrade your concerns, but is the dealer (any dealer for that matter) supposed to know or have a computer program that detects when someone is about to go out of warranty and then correlate that data with past complaints then come to the conclusion that what you need is something the extended warranty (you may or may not have a Honda plan) would want to cover for you as it is an insurance policy and they are looking for ways to spend extra money on you, not. I've never heard of a Service Advisor that didn't want to make money. If they can get an extended warranty to cover something, they make money just like customer pay.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Having had some exposure to the ways manufacturers structure their sales and marketing ploys, let me tell you a little bit about the warranty hows and whys, and how to get around them. ;)

The normal expected expenses of in-warranty repairs are baked in to the price of a new vehicle, plus a generous buffer. It's wrapped up in advertising and goodwill and customer retention. Manufacturers know there will always be warranty repairs and adjustments, and plan for them. They also make sure you, the buyer, don't start abusing their system, therefore causing the generous money buffer, that you paid for, to shrink or (horrors!) disappear altogether. :D

The manufacturers also know that once you own the vehicle, inertia sets in. Within the first 30-90 days of ownership, you'll find some niggly details you wouldn't mind having them take care of (a mark on the carpet, a small paint boo-boo, some rattle in the dash). But some other minor things, though, you will decide, "it's not worth my time to drop the car off to get this little thing fixed, I'll just live with it." After driving the car a while, you just go with the flow, and consider it a part of your new car's character. :coolio:

What they ideally want you to do is to bring the car in for some bigger things, maybe once or twice in the warranty period, and with a big laundry list of everything that's wrong with the car, so they can handle it all on the same day. That saves them trouble and money, and keeps you happy. Most people don't do it this way, but that would be ideal for them. :mad:

And what if they have your car up on the lift and notice a warranty-covered issue that you didn't report? Hah! Usually... They will not bring it to your attention. They would rather you run out the warranty and return with a billable complaint after the warranty runs out. That's a good way to make money, you know. However, and here's the kicker: If you bring up the problem to their attention, they are legally- and honor-bound to resolve the problem to your satisfaction. :mad:

We seldom keep a car past its warranty period, but in the past, with vehicles that we drive seldom or we have an attachment to, we approach the end of the warranty period with a specific protocol, meant to save us a lot of time and trouble... and money. We don't put enough miles on any of the cars to bump up against a mileage limit, it's always time for us. :rollingeyes:

Here's what I always do: I bought My Beloved a new 2002 325Ci for an anniversary present, and we kept that car until last year's anniversary (when I replaced it with the SL550). But a month before the end of the coverage, I took the BMW to a BMW-centric Indy, with instructions to go over it with a fine-tooth comb, and provide us with a laundry list of everything needing replacement, repair, or attention that would be covered by the BMW factory warranty. Lo and behold, after gladly paying him a couple of hundred dollars for a few hours of his time, he provided me with a list of ten or twelve items that would be covered (noisy window regulator, some suspension issues, a power steering issue, and a lot of other things). I drove to my BMW dealer with the list on his letterhead, said "here," and left the car with them for two days. After picking it up, we got an invoice marked "no charge" for about $5200 of repairs at retail that we would have incurred, had we waited. :p

If you're approaching the end of your warranty... I suggest you find an independent mechanic and have him do a bumper-to-bumper inspection of your vehicle, with warranty repairs in mind... and bring that to the dealer. That way, you'll know you have many (hopefully) trouble-free miles ahead when you're pantless... :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just over a week of having the odyssey back from the dealer, the following was repaired:
Leak in the rear main seal(their code was: ENG-MECH-FLYWHEELEND-SEAL-REPL) and 4 wheel alignment
noisy power steering pump (leaking at the O ring)
timing belt tensioner (was leaking)
all under warranty(had less than 500kms left of it at the time)
only paid for the B2 service=$422(i know i know, my mechanic would have charged me just above half of that money)

the funny thing is the dealer where i bought this odyssey didnt find anything 2 weeks prior to this repair...other thing was, i was told by the same dealer that brake discs needed to be replaced cause they were less than 4mm(they were brand new(bout 10k kms on them) and the dealer who repaired measured them at near 10mm.. LOL? same thing with tires, one measures at less than 4/32 and again the last measurement was 8/32.
i will probably buy more honda's in the future, but will never ever buy again from midtown honda. worst costumer service post sale i have ever seen.
now im looking for a altima v6 SE 3rd gen to buy as a second car, really liked it. nice kick it gives :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts