Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've purchased a 2013 Ody Touring with 111k miles a month ago. VCM is deactivated for now by unplugging the oil pressure sensor near the front bank. When I purchased it, the oil life was at 90% as reported by the speedo cluster and that made sense because there was a maintenance done by the dealer before they sold it to us (at around 110k miles). So I was under the impression that the oil life will gradually drop and at about 117-118k I would have to do an oil change at which point I would do tranny, spark plugs, air filter. Luckily, timing belt was done at 108k.

Now the problem is I'm at 112.5k miles (so 1.5k mile since purchase) and my oil life dropped to 15% yesterday with a service soon message, today it dropped to 10% first and a couple restarts later (we were out grocery shopping), it reported service now and 5% oil life remaining.

My question to you all is what is going on here? I've already got the oil for both the engine and the tranny and happy to do it, but I just wonder if oil life is purely a mileage and perhaps # of engine restarts, or is it based on some sensor data, at which case me unplugging the VCM oil sensor caused the oil quality indicator to drop?

Any ideas would be appreciated!

·
Registered
699 Posts
IMHO, oil life, is calculated by an "algorithm", (software program). I would just check the oil level, dipstick. And change the oil/ filter every 5000 miles. Or wait slightly longer if you use, synthetic oil and "quality oil filter".

·
Registered
169 Posts
The oil life estimation is indeed calculated by an algorithm using input including but not limited to odometer mileage, temperature and probably oil pressure (the algorithm may weigh low pressure input as more potential wear on the oil). When one unplugs the cable from the oil pressure sensor it will input false numbers into the equation and will result in erroneous output.

The beauty of the VCM deactivating devices is that it still passes through data that apparently does not affect the oil life calculations. Would be wise to deactivate your VCM a different way and then see what happens to the oil life calculator. It would be a bummer if the short oil life indication was due to something else.

Or you could go old school as Iozawa recommends and change the oil/filter every 5000-7500 miles or at least once a year--apparently the oil life calculator does not take into consideration the time since oil change (or actually time from just resetting of the indicator).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts