Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, 265K 97 ODY, timing belt replaced 6k ago. Oil light comes on flashing first at idle after a good 20 mi drive. No rough idle, no more new noises like not enough oil on moving parts. Then in park after flashing oil light, a solid light. Checked oil and its full, with clear fluid and new filter two weeks ago. I thought kicking up the RPMs would get rid of the light but to no avail. Also, if its related, when turning on the A/C, at idle the motor is loud, but quiets when disengaged. Hmmm and wanting to get this resolved. Where is the oil pump located? Is there such a thing as an oil pressure sensor? if so can I change it out? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Have the pressure checked at the senser. Replace the senser. I would definitely have the pressure checked as with that many miles the wear on the bearings or pump will cause loose fitting and pressure drop. Not familiar with that engine but there will be a pressure senset on the block that turns on the light.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Pull the single pin wire off the pressure switch. If the light stays off then it is a bad switch. If it stays on then that wire is grounding out somewhere. The light is grounded through the switch, so actually a fairly easy diagnosis.

·
Registered
164 Posts
have the pressure checked asap, if its the sensor easy fix and no worries, if the bearings were worn you should see some blue smoke, however if the oil pump is weak the motor could still be in decent condition as of now but low pressure could lead to catastrophic failure.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Blue smoke only if the rings or valve guides are worn. If the bearings are worn you will get low oil pressure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That sounds great, now can some one tell me where this switch is located? Also. to add no blue smoke, we just got back from a 50 mile round trip journey with no oil light on. We have snow flurries right now and almost freezing temps. Could the weather have any bearing (no pun here) on the oil pressure? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
William Wiles said:
Blue smoke only if the rings or valve guides are worn. If the bearings are worn you will get low oil pressure.
And noisy as the crank pounds up and down. I think it is better to start simple here, just pull the wire and see if the light is off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts