Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
UPDATE TO ORIGINAL POST

The local Honda dealer replaced the oil pan, and changed the oil and filter with full-synthetic oil. The "quick oil change" place paid for the repairs and the oil change. The total was $754.57.

Interestingly, I spoke with the mechanic. He said that the engine did not need to be raised in order to remove/replace the oil pan. He said the old/new pans slide out/in easily without bending the oil pickup.

Also interesting, the dealer does not carry full-synthetic high-mileage oil. This is what I wanted, but they only had full-synthetic "regular mileage" oil.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
Also interesting, the dealer does not carry full-synthetic high-mileage oil.
Makes sense actually. Most cars in dealers' bays are of the newer variety that wouldn't have a need for high-mileage engine oil.

If you wanted HM oil for a leaking oil seal, try adding a can of ATP-205 interim to the next oil change.

Glad you got the oil pan issue resolved. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had to take off my oil pan because of a leaky oil pump gasket. Had to do the job 3 times total because the sealant would develop a leak after a while. Used Hondabond , permatex then finally reinzosil, and let it cure for 3 days before putting oil in.

·
Registered
2012 Honda Odyssey EX
52 Posts
no way would I go the way of an oil pan replacement and no way is the quick oil place going to pick who's gonna work on my van. I would have them give me an estimate of from who would do the work and strongly suggest they just pay me the cost in cash. I then would use one of the above methods to fix it.
what are you doing in the meantime for an oil plug ???

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
What are you doing in the meantime for an oil plug?
The "quick oil change place" stripped the pan about 2-years ago. At that time, instead of using the OEM plug (which wouldn't hold and couldn't be used anyway), they used a "Mercedes" plug. A Mercedes plug is much longer than the OEM plug. Thus, the Mercedes plug was able to grab the threads deeper in the pan and there was no leak from the plug. However, over time, as they continued to do oil changes, the Mercedes plug began to leak. The leak was bad enough to put some drops of oil on the garage floor every night, but not bad enough that I needed to add oil. It was at this time that the “quick oil change place” paid the Honda dealer (whom I had selected) to replace the oil pan.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts