Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 05, 290k miles, is now showing some smoke. Especially when I did a 1000 lb trailer tow. Just 60 mile trip and watched for torque converter slippage and nursed the shift-er.

Does anyone have experience with using a higher wt oil. And or using Restore oil additive?

May just be the valve guide seals are finally going away.

Thanks
Charles

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
You'd do well with a compression check first. That would quickly define if it was worn rings or valve guide seals.

Also, at those miles, it could be both. :(

OF

·
Registered
8,382 Posts
When does the blue smoke appear? At startup? When coasting? Under heavy throttle?

I agree with doing a compression test.

Change to a higher oil viscosity only as a last resort. Doing so might possibly reduce oil burning, but could cause other engine problems. Fix the real problem if possible before trying a band-aid solution.

Dave

·
Registered
583 Posts
According to "scotty K", Using a "higher vicosity oil", in modern engines, a bad idea. May damage engine components. :(

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Don't change the oil viscosity, that could bring other issues. Is this a VCM motor? My van was using oil until I added a VCM disabler at 190k miles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the inputs. I could not find this thread even when I searched my own ID so I restarted it.
I previously accidentally created a viscosity problem. I was running Amsoil 0-30 and ran out so I was adding some left over 20-50 racing and did not realize how much I had added over time. I began to have a low idle problem. I swapped to mobil 1 0-20 since it was on sale and idle problem ended. I plan to go back to Amsoil. Hopefully I can get the oil loss rate down.
BTW I changed from Honda oil to Amsoil at 15k miles and checked my gas logs at 30k miles. No appreciable freeway mileage change but local driving went from 16 to 18 mpg.
Cheers
Charles

1 - 8 of 8 Posts