Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 2018 odyssey with 16k. Dealership performed first oil change for free. I just did the 2nd oil change myself. I own a 2009 odyssey with 300k, and I expect it'll go at least 500k. I'm leary of this 0W-20 oil honda changed to. Has anyone used 5W-20 in their newer odyssey? I don't want to sacrifice engine life for fuel economy. I scoffed at Mobil 1's marketing BS "advanced fuel economy". Nobody buys engine oil based on fuel economy, do they?

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,403 Posts
Nobody buys engine oil based on fuel economy, do they?
No, people buy engine oil based on the recommendation of the manufacturer. And Honda says 0W20 is the proper grade.

There are a number of owners of 4th generation Odysseys (which also all use 0W20) around here with north of 250,000 miles on the odometer. The recommended grade of engine oil is not the limiting factor on the lifespan of these engines. Don't get too cute and don't overthink it. 0W20 is fine.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,691 Posts
Ah yes, yet another oil debate.

I think if there was any reason to worry about oil vs fuel economy, it would have been discussed already. If there was a way to get better fuel economy, Honda would be jumping on it. If they're willing to do things like VCM for fuel economy, I'm sure they'd be happy to use different oil for better fuel economy. So if they aren't, there's probably nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,335 Posts
Stick with 0W-20 for now. When your van gets to high mileage and the engine is more worn, like 200K+... maybe burns a little more oil, oil pump is probably weaker, tolerances are not as tight... then maybe it's a good idea to switch to 5W-20.

Reactions: Vicarious_Lee

·
Registered
9,447 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Odyssey EX
5 Posts
Both behave as 20 weight oil (similar viscosity) when at operating temperature so there should be no real difference in wear (or efficiency) once the engine is up to temp.

0W will be slightly thinner than 5W when cold, so it will be easier to pump and reach bearing surfaces faster when starting, reducing cold engine wear (and improving fuel economy in the short time it takes to warm up).

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
My 2003 Acura TL and 2002 Ody EX say to use 5W20. 185,000 miles and 213,000 miles for each, and the oil consumption remains the same (about 20 ounces over the course of 10,000 miles) when using 0W20.

The "W" in 5W20 or 0W20 (or any other range of viscosity) does not stand for "weight". "W" means "winter" as a measure of cold weather viscosity, again covered by TSQ.

Been using 0W20 in both, as I can now just keep one oil type in my garage cabinet for all of our Hondas, the Acura and Corolla. That's the only reason I did that. Have not observed any change in fuel economy.

I don't view it as harmful for the reasons TSQ mentions.

OF

Edited, text added, to add clarity.

Reactions: DJVAN

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
I also switched to 0w20 in my '03 with just over 200k miles on it, due to the cold winters where I live.
Original engine and tranny and it had around 125k miles on it when I bought it.
I change oil (and filter-Fram Ultra) usually between 5-7k miles. Don't have to add any oil between changes.
I also noticed no difference in mpg when I went from 5w20 to 0w20.
So, I agree with Odyfamily once again.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
...So, I agree with Odyfamily once again.
Buffalo4
Would it be too presumptuous to say "Great minds think alike"?

😁 😁 😁

OF

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Hey, that’s my cat! :D

Really, that does look exactly like one of my cats….minus the cool Darth Vader gear.:cool:

Time for cat treats (and serving cats their breakfast) before chores. (y)

OF

Reactions: DJVAN

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I’ve used Mobil1 0-20 since my 2011 was new. 232K miles and never need to add oil between changes. I change at the initial pop up with 15% left. Use good filters and just lots of general maintenance when required. As others have said don’t overthink it. 0-20 is really light but no wear from what I can tell and results speak for themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,403 Posts
The truly weird ones are 0W16, 0W12 and even 0W8. It's like I can't even fathom how those can work, but they apparently do.

The first time I saw 0W16 oil was in a Toyota parts department and I stared at it so long that it got awkward. The parts guy behind the counter followed my eyes and actually said, "No, that's not a misprint and yes, that's what the new ones use. Now, how can I help you?" :p

Reactions: 0dyfamily

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
0W-16 and 0W-8? I should google who uses that but we’re at sewing machine oil at this point!

·
Registered
206 Posts
0W-16 and 0W-8? I should google who uses that but we’re at sewing machine oil at this point!

This is just one manufacturer, Pennzoil. Click on "Why is Pennzoil now selling SAE 0W-16 motor oils in North America."

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
In Alaska my next door neighbor (passed away 3 years ago) was a metal millright and worked with whatever company that installed the oil pipeline. he said that the majority of the heavy equipment (all diesel) cranes, front-end loaders, graders, track mounted excavators tractor with trailers, dump trucks all in the winter time switched over to 0W-0W oil. This was strarted in 1975 and they did not have any synthetic oil for Diesels then. Gene (next door neighbor said that we they started in the first few years in was averaging -30 degree days. In order to start the diesel equipment, they did not use ether, as it would blow huge hunks of cast iron off the block by the cylinder walls. So with the 0W-0W oil and starting a small fire under each rig from wood and blocked the sides of the rig with plywood. It was to dangerous to leave the heavy equipment just idling as the fuel injectors would start dripping diesel drops as the engines was not under load so it would get to cold and the fuel drops would not ignite and eventual work it's way through the cylinder walls and into the oil and of course that would thin the oil out and eventually the bearings would seize. Why do we use 0W-20? The temperature extremes of below 0 degrees and when the oil change to 20, the engine bearings and seals and camshafts are so designed to give the best wear and performance at this weight. If some one can prove anything different by doing all the oil analysis testing to give to these engines in the ODY, by test oil data, cylinder data, valve data, camshaft dat piston data, crankshaft rod and main bearing data instead of just empirical data, then I will believe them. :unsure:

Reactions: 0dyfamily
1 - 18 of 18 Posts