Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Oil weight with VCM

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  dvpatel 
#1 ·
Hello all. New to the forum here. Seems to be quite an informative one too! Just wondering....
I have always been a Dodge guy so I am familiar with the MDS system on the Hemis and know that it is critical to run a 20w oil for the solenoids in the mds to work properly.
We just purchased our second Odyssey. It is an 07 EX-L with the VCM. We have an 04 that we are going to sell. So my question is....does the same apply for the Honda VCM? Not sure on how it works first off, but was wondering if I put a 5w30 synthetic in it if it will mess with it. The reason I ask is because I am an Amsoil dealer and already have 5w30 sitting on the shelf and would rather not order a bunch of 20w if I don't have to. Thanks!

#3 ·
Amsoil... :tongue:

Ask yourself this:

What particular weight oil does Honda recommend for this particular vehicle? Since they conceived this particular engine, engineered it, assembled it, tested it, investigated it, tested it again and again to determine warrantability and durability and reliability, and after all their R&D efforts, recommended it for a reason.

Then... use that. :rollingeyes:

I've never understood "experts" who think they know more than manufacturers. :mad:

/thread.

#4 ·
Oh Joy. Yet another oil weight thread where we have this "experts" v/s mfrs discussion. There are older ones on this and it was already proven by oil analysis that using 5W30 does NOT harm your engine in any way shape or form in the older discussions. Perhaps a search for those older topics is on order.

FWIW I personally use 5W30 full synthetic in all 3 of my cars. One came with a 10W30 recommendation (Maxima), one with a 5W30 recommendation (Accord) and the last one came with a 5W20 recommendation (Ody). No issues using 5W30 year around.

Several other old timers on here and other newer ones who religiously get their oil tested use 5W30 without falling for the big mfrs mpg race mandatating the 5W20.

#5 ·
Nothing wrong with the 5w-20 either. Go with what will help you sleep at night. These engines are not hard on oil. I am close to 200k on 5w 20 and engine runs great and is not burning any oil or anything else. I too am tired about this whole debate, both weights will do fine. I do not think the honda engines are as picky as the hemis with the msds.

#6 ·
5W20 choice is a mix of politics (fuel mileage to make the government happy etc. etc.) and perhaps science.

I have done this for years on my 2001 Ody (cold) and my current 2007 Ody:
- WINTER: 5W30
- SUMMER 10W30

Van runs tight, zero problems.

#7 ·
I have an '05 EX-L with 82k miles - and have used either 5W-20 or 5W-30 (I'd say 5W-30 more often) over the van's life with no issue. I even notice mileage increase in the past 10k - although I don't mean to say this is due to my choice of oil.

#8 ·
Well wasn't really goin for a "which oil is better on gas mileage or engine wear" debate. Honestly just wanted to know if it was critical to proper function of the VCM. In the Chrysler MDS it is so I wondered. I could honestly not care what numbers Honda puts on the oil cap because as most people realize a 30w oil isn't going to destroy a motor that calls for 20w oil unless we are talking hipo race apps or something. I don't have an issue running 20w either. Just wanted to know if it was mandated for a mechanical reason or just a "yeah, that weight sounds good" by Honda. Sorry for the soap box but it is a bit annoying when u ask a question and u get the few that have to say "dig in the archives" and find it. Quit wasting my time." response. If u don't want to answer the question, don't. Let someone else. That is what a forum is for, otherwise there would b no reason to have one. I have been a member of the Hemi Truck Club for years and my first impression is this is not going to b the same...sorry. They are always more than happy to answer a question even if it was addressed two years ago. Or to nicely refer to an older post with a link. Not a "do a search and figure it out" attitude. Just some food for thought....:)

#9 ·
Just wanted to know if it was mandated for a mechanical reason or just a "yeah, that weight sounds good" by Honda.
I would guess, just guessing here, that Honda has a lit-tle more respect for their vehicles than the manufacturer of Hemi trucks... and would have a valid reason for their requirements, thanks to exhaustive R&D, instead of an approximation. And the posters here are perhaps just a lit-tle startled that the question would even come up, since it has been answered and discussed over and over and over and over... ;)

So, once again: What particular weight oil does Honda recommend for this particular vehicle? Since they conceived this particular engine, engineered it, assembled it, tested it, investigated it, tested it again and again to determine warrantability and durability and reliability, and after all their R&D efforts, recommended it for a reason. :rollingeyes:

Then... use that. :p

Those who think they can outsmart the manufacturers of engines and automobiles tend to keep mechanics' retirement accounts flush... Just saying... :DD

#10 ·
My point exactly. And as I would agree that Honda and even Toyota make a superior product, i find it interesting that the Chrysler MDS never posed such a blatant wide spread issue on the HTC. Their biggest complaint is the after market exhaust sounds funny due to the 4cyl mode. Guess they got something right. And in all honesty as much as i love Honda I wouldn't buy another truck other than a Ram. Had two and loved them both. Just was making the point that a forum is here to help. If a topic was posted in the past, the friendly way to approach a repeat is posted above. U can either get it or not...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.