Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Ok to top up brake fluid with generic dot3

2K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  gomst1 
#1 ·
As the title says, is it ok?

#5 ·
When we had the brake master cylinder repair under warranty extension done @ 60k mi on our 06, they said only use Honda brake fluid. Prior to that we had a flush using DOT3 at a indy shop. Not sure if there’s any truth to that statement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
When we had the brake master cylinder repair under warranty extension done @ 60k mi on our 06, they said only use Honda brake fluid. Prior to that we had a flush using DOT3 at a indy shop. Not sure if there’s any truth to that statement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Of course a Honda dealer is going to say to use Honda fluids. No need to do so however

Another reason to avoid going to dealer for service.

#10 ·
I think only DOT 5 is silicon based.
DOT 3 and DOT 4 are glycol based. They are compatible with each other. 4 has a higher boiling point than 3. Our Odyssey’s use 3 or 4. Dont use DOT 5. It is not compatible with DOT 3 or 4.

#15 ·
First, you might have air in your brake lines. Did you open the brake lines? If not, there should not be air in system.

What type of pads did you use, as some of the more 'sporty' pads, don't feel good until they get hot. This is not a good thing for normal driving.
Nope. Didnt open the lines or try to bleed brakes. Just replaced pads and rotors.
No performance parts, raybestos rotors and akebono pads.

#17 ·
It's a good idea to use OEM brake fluid because of this recall on my 2006 Toyota Avalon. Pls read.

Recall Number
10V499000
Recall Date
10/21/2010
Component
SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:FOUNDATION COMPONENTS:MASTER CYLINDER
Summary
TOYOTA IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2005-2006 AVALON, MODEL YEAR 2004-2006 HIGHLANDER, MODEL YEAR 2004-2006 LEXUS RX, AND MODEL YEAR 2006 LEXUS GS AND IS VEHICLES. BRAKE FLUID CONTAINING POLYMERS IS USED THAT ACTS AS LUBRICANTS FOR CERTAIN BRAKE SYSTEM COMPONENTS. IF REPLACEMENT BRAKE FLUID IS USED THAT DOES NOT CONTAIN SUCH POLYMERS, OR THAT CONTAINS ONLY SMALL AMOUNTS, A PART OF THE RUBBER SEAL LOCATED AT THE REAR OF THE BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER MAY BECOME DRY, AND THE SEAL MAY CURL DURING MOVEMENT OF THE PISTON. IF THIS OCCURS, A SMALL AMOUNT OF BRAKE FLUID COULD SLOWLY LEAK FROM THE SEAL INTO THE BRAKE BOOSTER.

#19 ·
Consequence
A LEAK OF BRAKE FLUID COULD LEAD TO A CHANGE IN BRAKE PEDAL FEEL AND OVERTIME A DEGRADATION IN BRAKING PERFORMANCE INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
What Owners Should Do
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE SEAL WITH A NEWLY DESIGNED ONE. THIS SERVICE WILL BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON NOVEMBER 15, 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT TOYOTA AT 1-800-331-4331 AND LEXUS AT 1-800-255-3987.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.