Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i trade-in my civic hybrid for my ody and damn... gas is expensive. in two weeks of owning odyssey, i already spent $140 on gas. typically i spend $50 a month on hybrid. i know i shouldn't compare this car w/ hybrid, but my wallet is empty and my credit card debt is raising.. so far, i've driven 1000 miles and i'm getting average 23 miles/gallon (which is better than epa estimate).. would there be anything else i could do to improve gas mileage? if this keeps up, i'm thinking of driving w/o the 2nd row seat kekeke

·
Super Moderator
13,875 Posts
Wow. You get 23 mpg mixed and you're complaining? Have to seen any posts by Wild Willy yet?

You did buy a big van and it is going to suck more gas than the civic hybrid. Not sure how you can get a lot more than 23 mpg out of it however. Even if you remove seats and what not, I don't see how that will push up your mpg to say 30. It might give you a mile or two more which on a 20 gallon tank is 20 - 40 miles.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Put the car in Neutral and push and i guarantee you will get better gas millage then a hybrid; Also you will get in shape !!

:DD:DD

I'm worried about going from 4cylinder civic to this van.
I can't imagine your pain of hybrid to van gas consumption.

This is the price you pay for getting married and having kids !

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
23 is good mpg.

I don't mean to get in a financial debate here, but if ur credit card debt is increasing because you spend more on fuel, what sort of logic landed you a new minivan vs a used one?

·
Registered
730 Posts
i trade-in my civic hybrid for my ody and damn... gas is expensive. in two weeks of owning odyssey, i already spent $140 on gas. typically i spend $50 a month on hybrid. i know i shouldn't compare this car w/ hybrid, but my wallet is empty and my credit card debt is raising.. so far, i've driven 1000 miles and i'm getting average 23 miles/gallon (which is better than epa estimate).. would there be anything else i could do to improve gas mileage? if this keeps up, i'm thinking of driving w/o the 2nd row seat kekeke
What kind of mileage did you think you were going to get? I average 23 mpg in mixed driving and have seen as high as 30 mpg. I'm very satisfied with the mileage. Coming from a hybrid nothing is going to compare favorably.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is there something wrong with my Ody because I'm averaging 17 mpg mostly on city driving... is this normal? I'm basing this from my dash meter... I have about 1100 miles on the van now... anyway to improve this?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Switch to a bicycle, or a rickshaw, and your mpg and credit card troubles will disappear.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i learned from my hybrid to be a fuel efficient driver.

i went from paid off hybrid with $50 a month on gas to $350 car payment with estimated $300 on gas. so basically my monthly cost of living increased $600.

i usually pay off all my credit card every month so my current financial debt is $320,000 ($300k from mortgage and $20 from honda odyssey).

my utility bills are $230 from verizon wireless on 3 smartphone, $100 on cable (internet & tv), $25 on drinking water, $40 on water, $50 on electricity, $20 on gas, and $150 life insurance policy.

my auto insurance is around $1700 on 2009 acura tsx and 2011 odyssey (new odyssey policy was $50 cheaper than my old hybrid, $1000) and i have property tax of $4800 this year!!! i hate you county of orange (they say the property value has gone up by .07%, which i think is bullsh*t)

i'm a big yelper. i use to dine out 5 nights out of a week. now, i eat heathly choice's, hungry-man, and lean cuisines for lunch. for dinner, i have rice and kimchi...

thanks to my child, my bachelor's life is ruin. i hate him yet i love him to death...

·
Registered
118 Posts
The reality is your average mileage is pretty good and other than driving less you will likely not have a lot of success with any significant reductions in cost.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
i learned from my hybrid to be a fuel efficient driver.

i went from paid off hybrid with $50 a month on gas to $350 car payment with estimated $300 on gas. so basically my monthly cost of living increased $600.

i usually pay off all my credit card every month so my current financial debt is $320,000 ($300k from mortgage and $20 from honda odyssey).

my utility bills are $230 from verizon wireless on 3 smartphone, $100 on cable (internet & tv), $25 on drinking water, $40 on water, $50 on electricity, $20 on gas, and $150 life insurance policy.

my auto insurance is around $1700 on 2009 acura tsx and 2011 odyssey (new odyssey policy was $50 cheaper than my old hybrid, $1000) and i have property tax of $4800 this year!!! i hate you county of orange (they say the property value has gone up by .07%, which i think is bullsh*t)

i'm a big yelper. i use to dine out 5 nights out of a week. now, i eat heathly choice's, hungry-man, and lean cuisines for lunch. for dinner, i have rice and kimchi...

thanks to my child, my bachelor's life is ruin. i hate him yet i love him to death...
Waaay too much information man. Sorry to hear your dilemma, I hope you were able to take it out at least, but I think the problem is not the Odyssey mileage here, it won't help much even if you jump to 27mpg. The problem, as posted earlier, seems to be related to managing family finances:

Money 101 - Financial Advice & Lessons Made Easy

Now, Odyssey related :), please post how you manage to get 23mpg?

·
Registered
86 Posts
"i went from paid off hybrid with $50 a month on gas to $350 car payment with estimated $300 on gas. so basically my monthly cost of living increased $600."

This doesn't make sense unless you're also driving a whole lot more than you used to. Your mpg gets cut in half from 46 to 23 but your cost for fuel goes from $50 to $300?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
With only 1 kid you shouldn't 'need' a minivan.
btw, your mixed driving econ is still very good. My suburb/city driving is in the 16mpg range. On the highway (granted the van is pretty loaded when we go on trips) is no more than 25mpg.

·
Registered
427 Posts
What kind of mileage did you think you were going to get? I average 23 mpg in mixed driving and have seen as high as 30 mpg. I'm very satisfied with the mileage. Coming from a hybrid nothing is going to compare favorably.
Exactly... I've gotten as high as 32mpg highway which is very impressive for a vehicle that can seat 8 and weighs 4300+ pounds. The highway EPA gas mileage on the touring Oddy van is the same or higher than the Highlander hybrid, if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
730 Posts
With only 1 kid you shouldn't 'need' a minivan.
btw, your mixed driving econ is still very good. My suburb/city driving is in the 16mpg range. On the highway (granted the van is pretty loaded when we go on trips) is no more than 25mpg.
If your thinking ahead and getting the van in anticipation of an ever increasing family, then good on you. I see too many folks with brand new (or late model) extended cab trucks with a couple of car seats wedged into the back. The seats barely fit let alone two adults or children. Oh, and then there is the money spent on accessories. Tells you a where their priorities are. "Get me another beer woman!"

·
Registered
122 Posts
TMI, I hope that your situation get work out somehow without giving up one of your cars.

23 is pretty good for van. I dont like to tell you this but My wife s 06 ody get better or close to my focus gas mpg. It s so embarrassing that i have to come up with my excuses(to my wife) to protect my pride and my ego:)

You are experiencing big change economy to luxury:)

Enjoy your new van.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Oh....another thing you can save up pennies and get used chevy/geo metro to get around town if you can find it. You still have 3 three cars.....i dont know. Just saying smile.

·
Registered
55 Posts
We purchased a new 04 odyssey when we began our family, 144000 miles later it performs flawlessly except regular ware and tear. Would love to have a new beautiful ody but is hard to get another one untill this one dies. Picked up a 2001 but for $2,500 to zip around in. Everthing is paid for. Guess it is what your priorities are. My van gets aroun 22mpg mixed.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts