Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the original owner of a 99 ODY with 70,000 miles. So far so good with the tranny, as it continues to shift smoothly. Today while diving at about 40MPH, I got a shudder that others have described as going over a washboard. I took my foot off the gas and it immediately stopped. About a half an hour later, it happened again. I then drove for another hour and one half, even stopping at traffic lights and it did not re-occur. Reading these threads, I see tranny, EGR, motor mounts etc. as possible causes of the problem. I had tranny service about 20,000 miles ago. I was told last year that I should consider new motor mounts. The van has always been serviced by Honda. However, I hesitate to allow them to do a trial and error service, until the problem is solved. Considering all of the above, any suggestions on what might be an orderly approach, in dealing with this issue.
Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
As you stated, there are several possible answers... I would probably start with the suspension ( Ball joints, struts, tie-rod ends, etc) as those are pretty easy to check. Then, if your engine mounts were suspect a year ago, I am sure they haven't improved. Rear engine mount is a pain, but the others are fairly easy... oh BTW, no way to visually inspect the rear mount, without removing it, then you may as well replace since you have it that far apart. Mine was completely separated at 125K. Check the easy things first, then go for the more difficult ones.... Your local tire center may have a free suspension check (Les Schwab in the NW does), which could help to eliminate some of the questions if you are not a jump into it yourself kind of person. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts