Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I thought that I would wait a week before writing any comments on our new Ody, this way I could give a little more opinion than "I just bought it and I love it!" My opinion is "I've lived with it for a week now, and I love it!" My wife and I got a SS EX-L RES with the following options: tow package, cd changer, subwoofer, splash guards, wheel locks, and cargo tray. We would have gotten the fog lights, but the salesman said "they were marked up just last week..." I don't remember exact numbers but I believe it was about $700 installed. Thanks to this forum I will be doing that mod myself. Anyway, back to my original post...My wife, two kids, (one will be three at the end of the month, the other will be two the first week of May) and I love this van. It handles superbly for such a large vehicle. Also, I haven't heard the dreaded gas tank "thump" reported by so many. We are on the second tank of gas, and I constantly listen, but I guess I am just missing it. There is a little more road noise than I expected, but it is not as bad as some would have you think, it's all a matter of personal opinion I guess. The front seats are a bit firm, but still very comfy, I like the second row captains chairs better though. Everything seems to be very tight and as of yet we haven't developed any squeeks or rattles. I still haven't had a chance to slide underneath to check for any drip, but everything looks great so far.

Just to say it one last time, we love this van, and hope to have it for a very long time.

Nak

------------------
'02 SS EX-L RES (tow package, cd-changer, subwoofer, splash guards, wheel locks, cargo tray, fog lights coming soon)
'88 Black 4 Runner SR5
'78 28' Holiday Rambler Camper ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
We've had our '02 GG EX-L RES for just over a week, and I agree entirely. I've been very happy with the driving experience, with the exception of the road noise. We haven't noticed any squeaks, rattles (...except from the RES remote and its holder, which I stopped with a little foam), buzzes, or the gas thump. I have looked, but couldn't find any signs of fluid leaks. So far, so good.

·
Registered
46 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by The Nak:
Well, I thought that I would wait a week before writing any comments on our new Ody, this way I could give a little more opinion than "I just bought it and I love it!" My opinion is "I've lived with it for a week now, and I love it!" My wife and I got a SS EX-L RES with the following options: tow package, cd changer, subwoofer, splash guards, wheel locks, and cargo tray. We would have gotten the fog lights, but the salesman said "they were marked up just last week..." I don't remember exact numbers but I believe it was about $700 installed. Thanks to this forum I will be doing that mod myself. Anyway, back to my original post...My wife, two kids, (one will be three at the end of the month, the other will be two the first week of May) and I love this van. It handles superbly for such a large vehicle. Also, I haven't heard the dreaded gas tank "thump" reported by so many. We are on the second tank of gas, and I constantly listen, but I guess I am just missing it. There is a little more road noise than I expected, but it is not as bad as some would have you think, it's all a matter of personal opinion I guess. The front seats are a bit firm, but still very comfy, I like the second row captains chairs better though. Everything seems to be very tight and as of yet we haven't developed any squeeks or rattles. I still haven't had a chance to slide underneath to check for any drip, but everything looks great so far.

Just to say it one last time, we love this van, and hope to have it for a very long time.

Nak

</font>
We've had our GG EX-L RES for 11 days and I have similar opinions. We love to drive it and my kids love riding in it.

I've noticed a very slight thump in the gas tank only when backing up and stopping quickly. Nothing to be upset about. Ours is tight as well with the only noticeable sounds being the DVD remote when it's in the holder and the slight rattling in the power doors when I hit bumps at slow speeds. That is my only concern at this point.

What type of gas mileage did you get on your first tank?

ODY'S ARE GREAT!

·
Registered
46 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Odynut:
We've had our '02 GG EX-L RES for just over a week, and I agree entirely. I've been very happy with the driving experience, with the exception of the road noise. We haven't noticed any squeaks, rattles (...except from the RES remote and its holder, which I stopped with a little foam), buzzes, or the gas thump. I have looked, but couldn't find any signs of fluid leaks. So far, so good.</font>

It took me a while to solve the mystery of the rattling remote. I thought I had serious problems with some lose trim or something until I noticed what it was.

The Michelin's are a little noisy on our van too on certain surfaces.

·
Registered
62 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by htown:

It took me a while to solve the mystery of the rattling remote. I thought I had serious problems with some lose trim or something until I noticed what it was.

The Michelin's are a little noisy on our van too on certain surfaces.
</font>
Wow, thanks for solving that mystery! We received our RES one week ago. I too have noticed a rattle coming from behind me somewhere and because I drive it mostly by myself I hadn't been able to check it out. Well that will be an easy fix! I love this forum!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Congrats to you guys for the new Ody. You'll enjoy it.

------------------
Check out many pictures of the 2002 Toronto autoshow, our 01 GG EX, other 02 Odys, and various model cars at http://community.webshots.com/user/ddakrt

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since I didn't didn't fill up the first tank (was full from the dealer) I didn't even check the mileage, mainly because it looked like it would be rather low. I will definately check the second and subsequent tanks for mileage/improvement. I put our RES remote in the glove box as my kids are way to small to do anything but break it
. Maybe I will throw the kids in the van and try to find some semi rough roads and roads with a lot of expansion joints to check for any squeaks or rattles

Nak

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by The Nak:
Maybe I will throw the kids in the van and try to find some semi rough roads and roads with a lot of expansion joints to check for any squeaks or rattles
. Nak
</font>
Is that squeaks and rattles from the kids, or from the van?

·
Registered
596 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Steve P:
Is that squeaks and rattles from the kids, or from the van?
</font>
If I were to "throw" the kids in the van, all I would hear would be the kids screaming.

Fred

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My kids are rough and tumble so "throwing them in the van" would be all fun and games for them
! As for squeaks and rattles, I would be listening for those from the van and hopefully not hearing them. Since we got the RES all I would hear from the kids is squeals and giggles
. I also forgot to mention (how I forgot I don't know) we are also expecting another in August, that was the main reason for buying a minivan in the first place. My wife would be mad if she knew I neglected to mention the new addition to the fam.

Nak

------------------
'02 SS EX-L RES (tow package, cd-changer, subwoofer, splash guards, wheel locks, cargo tray, fog lights coming soon)
'88 Black 4 Runner SR5
'78 28' Holiday Rambler Camper ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts