Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Currently in the market for an EXL. Could someone help me out with these questions?

1) One dealer is charging 299 for "extra tint". Has anyone needed this? Don't all Odysseys come with built in factory tint on the back windows? Is the factory tint dark enough tint for the average Joe?

2) I understand that Roof Rails should be installed by the dealer due to the complicated nature of adding them. Correct?

3) Is it possible to the average guy to put on his own wheel locks, splash guards, and roof cross rails (once the roof rail added)? I would like to buy these online for cheaper prices and then add them myself.

I've been following this forum for awhile - thanks to EVERYONE for the great info contained here!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi,

Currently in the market for an EXL. Could someone help me out with these questions?

1) One dealer is charging 299 for "extra tint". Has anyone needed this? Don't all Odysseys come with built in factory tint on the back windows? Is the factory tint dark enough tint for the average Joe?

2) I understand that Roof Rails should be installed by the dealer due to the complicated nature of adding them. Correct?

3) Is it possible to the average guy to put on his own wheel locks, splash guards, and roof cross rails (once the roof rail added)? I would like to buy these online for cheaper prices and then add them myself.

I've been following this forum for awhile - thanks to EVERYONE for the great info contained here!
1. You really don't need it, at least in my opinion (then again I've never tinted any of my cars). The Odyssey has plenty of tint on the back two rows of windows (I don't think there's any on the hatch window), and it has been plenty for me.

2. Don't have them, so I can't comment on that.

3. Absolutely. These options are all quite easy, but I'd recommend that if you're not too adept with this kind of thing that you look on collegehillshonda.com or something like that to get instructions.

·
Registered
88 Posts
^^^what he said.

As far as installing the roof rails, I haven't put them on yet either, but from watching the video on collegehillshonda.com, it doesn't look too difficult if you are comfortable enough in your own skills. Take a look at the video, that should help you with your answer.

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
A wheel lock just replaces a lug nut. Simple enough. But you should tighten it with a torque wrench to the torque specified for the 2011 model.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The $299 for extra tint is a rip-off and just added profit for the dealer. The 2nd and 3rd rows do not need any tint at all and you could have the front 2 windows done for probably $75 max

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I request a quote from the internet sales dept, I tell them no dealer add ons. My last 2 vehicles had tint and the 2011 EXL also had door edge guards and mud guards installed for 32,999.75 OTD. The add ons had been done but were not billed on the invoice.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The $299 for extra tint is a rip-off and just added profit for the dealer. The 2nd and 3rd rows do not need any tint at all and you could have the front 2 windows done for probably $75 max
Not necessarily, I was in the second row this weekend and the fall sun at cerain times of the day is very bright (some people have the sunshades and some don;t). The rear windows did not do a great job of blocking/dulling the light. My two front windows that I had tinted aftermarket at 20% charcoal did a much better job of dimming the light.

I think the rear windows could actually use more tint for people looking out from in. I did this with my sunroof and I am very glad that I did, I added 15% charcoal tint to the already tinted sunroof glass and it like how it came out.

Now looking in from outside the factory tint is plenty dark enough.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts