Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O'reilly is running a very good deal for their synthetic oil and filter change special, it is around $18 for 5 qtrs of oil and a filter. Does anyone have any experience with this oil in their Ody? Is it any good?

·
Registered
39 Posts
It is manufactured by Omni Specialty Packaging out of Shreveport, La. They are not affiliated with any major oil company but they do buy the base stock from major oil comanies.
I'd use it on a reasonable OCI. Maybe do an oil analysis on itto see what it looks like after running some miles.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
OReilly oil is very good.

Oil Filter: I use only BOSCH, stay away from Fram. I posted a thread on Bosch oil filter.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What would be an appropriate change interval with this oil and WIX filter? The sales person at orielly said that the oil is comparable to Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec synthetic oils. I am not sure how true that is, anyone had any experience with that? I did 8k intervals with Mobil 1 just want to make sure this holds up similarly.

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
Considering that Honda recommends a 7,500-mile OCI with straight dinosaur oil, I don't see why the O'Reilly synthetic wouldn't be good for at least that amount of mileage with a quality filter like Wix (or Bosch, Mann, Purolator Pure One, etc.)

OF

·
Registered
39 Posts
In my opinion that the cheaper oils are basicly all the same. Just slight differences are in the blend of additives. I feel a lot of the times you pay for a brand name. If the oil is API certified and it meets Honda's minimum criteria then it will be ok. I have used what ever Costco has on the shelf or what ever is cheap at WalMart for years and have never had an engine problem yet. What I think is important is the quality in the filter, it is the filter that does all the cleaning and all the (dirty work). I have always used wix or Napa Gold. I have had horrble experiences with oils that are not API approved. The place i work uses BG oil and we have had major engine failures do to the lack of lubrication. Besides the oil not being API approved they went to much longer OCI and that was also a contributing factor. So i guess what i am saying is that in my opinion if the oil is approved by the API then it will be be ok as long as it is changed in an appropriate time.

·
Registered
613 Posts
My experience

I've used Mobil 1 for years, but in my older ragged out cars I decided to try the Walmart version of Tech full synthetic oil which was available at a huge discount.

I can tell you it "burns off" or gets used much faster than Mobil 1. Also, I developed a hydraulic lifter tick that would leak-down on my high mileage GM van. Eventually it would go away but still was annoying.

I switched back to Mobil1 and the start-up tick went away! I know it costs more but I am believer especially after what Jeremy Mayfield did without coolant in Nascar using Mobil 1 at Richmond ( was leading but coolant leaked out and he finished the race on only oil cooling with Mobil 1 in engine and won - burned his back from hot oil tank behind the seat.

Also the oil is spec'd on high performance cars like my Sky turbo right on the oil filler from GM. And I worked for Shell but would still use Mobil 1.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see what you are saying and I would not be trying to use a generic synthetic oil on a high performance vehicle. But with a price lower on full synthetic than on most dino oils that they carry I figured it would be worth a try for something like an my 04 EX-L. Like a post above it can't be any worse than most dino oils.

·
Registered
39 Posts
ya it is tottaly safe to use

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
greg, kinda off topic...but I'm a Mobil 1 user, too. Also, AmSOil ATF. Lately, I've been routinely getting 400 miles per tankful, in town, on my Ody which rarely sees any highway miles as my commuter / family-of-six taxi vehicle.

The engine is a little quieter, most noticeably on startup, with M1 in the crankcase. The AmSOil ATF difference? Shifts feel like when the car was newer, and it sure seems to coast a little longer when I ease off the gas pedal. Just changing to these fluids, without changing anything else (tires, tire pressure, driving habits, weather) achieved these differences and going from low 300's to 400 miles routinely on a tank of gas.

So, back to topic. I think the O'Reilly synthetic is "safe" (if it has the proper API classification). And yes, with M1 (or other high quality synthetics) you're paying for "a name"...but usually that "name" means they have a team of petrochemists continually working the angles to put their product's performance delivery as high up in the marketplace as possible.

But, the OP's question of "how good is it? (O'Reilly synthetic oil)" Probably "good enough", but that's all I can say. I can't even say if it's better (or worse) than the best dinosaur or dino-syn mix oils out there.

OF

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For what it's worth-the bottle of O'Reilly synthetic does say that the oil is API certified.

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
Then, it's "good enough," and good-to-go.

Happy day-before-Labor Day, velo!:)

OF

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is there anything else on the bottle, other than the API certified symbol, that would tell me that the oil is "good enough"?

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
As long as the API seal says "For gasoline engines", you are good to go. It should also have an "SL" rating on this "API donut" for 2001 and later vehicles. The ratings are backwards compatible. SM rating, the most current API oil rating, can be used on any car that specifies the earlier SL rating. It will probably also say "energy conserving" in deference to the 5W20 viscosity.

OF

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
Hmm...after hashing out all of this, wouldn't it be just easier to get a 5-qt. bottle of Mobil1, grab a quality filter, and call it a day? The M1 will meet SM, SL, and SJ API specs with zero problems.

OF

·
Registered
613 Posts
There are some monster oil discussions on other forums, but seems the OP wanted an inexpensive alternative to conventional oil, and the oil in ? would appear to meet that criteria. If you are looking for the best mass produced commerically available motor oil the O'Reiley's brand more thanl likely would not make the cut. GM has a list of brands that meet its stringent requirement for its high performance engines
GM ratings of engine oils

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After reading all the replies I went ahead and grabbed a qrt of Mobil 1 full synthetic and O'reilly full Synthetic that I had sitting in my garage. The O'reilly oil had the following API Service ratings: SJ, SL, SM, and ILSAC GF-3 and GF-4.
Mobil 1 had all those above plus ACEA A1/B1, A5/B5.

I would need to do more research regarding the difference and what all those ratings stand for and if ACEA are important.

The only reason I am even considering this Orielly stuff is because with a good quality filter (WIX) the total for 5 qtrs and a filter with tax came to $21. All I am trying to do is save a few dollars and hopefully not suffer on the quality much.

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
Dirkdaddy said:
... but seems the OP wanted an inexpensive alternative to conventional oil, and the oil in ? would appear to meet that criteria. [/URL]
100% agree. Seems like it's a good choice.

OF

·
Registered
39 Posts
I love that site a lot of good info there

1 - 20 of 27 Posts