Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe the rumors began with a video from TFL Truck Video about the Tundra being delayed. Buried in that video was small snippet about the redesigned 2021 Sienna going hybrid-only for 2021:

Report: 2022 Toyota Tundra - The New Tundra May Be Coming Later Than We Think (Video) - The Fast Lane Truck

Then it was picked up by others:

Rumors Swirl About 2021 Toyota Sienna Hybrid and Fans Weigh In | Torque News

Toyota Venza crossover may be making a return as a hybrid

Hopefully the Odyssey redesign is a lot more than just cosmetic to keep up. It could use a hybrid option and add some other lacking features: a 360 degree camera, panoramic sunroof, full speed cruise control, etc.

As a fan of Honda / Acura I always assumed I would get an Odyssey for my growing family. But I admit the reliability issues have me concerned and combine that with with the lack of features (compared to the Sienna and Pacifica) and I'm leaning to Toyota later this year. Time to step it up Honda...

·
Registered
324 Posts
I could be wrong, but I don't believe Honda design team is reading these forums for insight.

Reliability issues have been addressed by going to 10 speed only.
Safety ratings on 2018-2020 Odyssey are the best in class compared with all three major competitors.

As for what Toyota is doing - that's entirely up to them. But with nightmares that Chrysler is going through with their hybrid vehicles - I'm not sure it's a good indicator that it's time to go hybrid. Batteries are large and they gotta go somewhere. In chrysler - you lose your stow n go for 30 miles of all electric range. Plus the risk of fire. So we would be losing some of the storage, and I don't know about most - but we bought our van for space, not for fuel economy. Not worth it in my book. Although I am pretty impressed with the MPG we have been getting in the Odyssey with the 10 speed.

Again, most of mid cycle redesigns see minor tweaks in exterior design and maybe a slight tune to get more out of the same engine. I doubt they'll go testing a hybrid implementation, especially after just now finally getting their reliability where it needs to be with the transmission.

To my knowledge, none of the vans feature full speed range cruise control but I could be wrong. Honda will still stop with emergency braking if need be even after shutting off the ACC at low speeds. I go to full manual anyways in Seattle traffic as I don't trust some of these drivers who don't even look at the road, lol.

As for lack of features - which features are you lacking when comparing top trim Pacifica and Sienna vs Odyssey Elite?

·
Registered
433 Posts
My friend just picked up a Kia Telluride, pretty nice. If you’re open to spending in the $47k range, the Hyundai Pallisade, which is the more luxurious sister, is packed with technological and practical features yet to be found in any Honda or Toyota.

·
Registered
680 Posts
What nightmares are there for the Pacifica hybrid? They are selling so well that dealers can’t keep them in stock. And they sell for small discounts. Waymo is also ordering a lot of them for their self driving taxis.

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
As for what Toyota is doing - that's entirely up to them. But with nightmares that Chrysler is going through with their hybrid vehicles - I'm not sure it's a good indicator that it's time to go hybrid. Batteries are large and they gotta go somewhere.
Toyota has a long history of building reliable hybrids. I have no doubt that they would also produce a reliable hybrid Sienna.

Finding a place for the batteries would indeed be a problem though...

·
Registered
121 Posts
What nightmares are there for the Pacifica hybrid? They are selling so well that dealers can’t keep them in stock. And they sell for small discounts. Waymo is also ordering a lot of them for their self driving taxis.
Really? Have you been in a cocoon?
FCA is forcing the hybrid down dealers throats - that’s actually why we got an Odyssey.
The $51k+ Pacifica Hybrid - which is a pig (weight) and loses Stow-N-Go due to battery - is not what we wanted.
The Limited steering wheel - designed for bling not common sense - is wicked hot or frigid cold.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think it’s believable since the Sienna is a lower volume vehicle only 73k sales for 2019. They sold 93k RAV4 Hybrids last year. I think it will have E-AWD which will allow fit the spare as well underneath a common complaint for current awd Sienna with mechanical awd. FCA is bringing AWD to next years model as well which is more confirmed than the Sienna rumors.

My prediction is Honda’s mid cycle refresh is gonna be meh and Toyota will sell over 100k 2021s like Honda did last year and Honda’s sells go down 20%.

I just wish the new Sienna was available sooner as I plan to buy next month and the Odyssey is probably the current best offer.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Really? Have you been in a cocoon?
FCA is forcing the hybrid down dealers throats - that’s actually why we got an Odyssey.
The $51k+ Pacifica Hybrid - which is a pig (weight) and loses Stow-N-Go due to battery - is not what we wanted.
The Limited steering wheel - designed for bling not common sense - is wicked hot or frigid cold.
No injuries or crashes because of this recall though, so why was it a big deal? Recalls happen a to now a-days. Odysseys aren't immune to recalls.

So the Pacifica Hybrid doesn't have the stow and go compartments, well then its just like any other minivan like the Odyssey. But at least the Pacifica has dual a/c units with superior roof vents, 360 degree camera, radar cruise control that can bring it to a stop, led interior lights, dual screen rear entertainment, etc, etc. Honda de-contented the new Odyssey so much that it should be ashamed. I'm hoping the MMC will fix these short comings.

·
Registered
121 Posts
No injuries or crashes because of this recall though, so why was it a big deal? Recalls happen a to now a-days. Odysseys aren't immune to recalls.

So the Pacifica Hybrid doesn't have the stow and go compartments, well then its just like any other minivan like the Odyssey. But at least the Pacifica has dual a/c units with superior roof vents, 360 degree camera, radar cruise control that can bring it to a stop, led interior lights, dual screen rear entertainment, etc, etc. Honda de-contented the new Odyssey so much that it should be ashamed. I'm hoping the MMC will fix these short comings.
Can't disagree with some of your comments above (we liked the Pacifica better), but a pissing contest over "rollaway risk" is different from "car shuts off on the highway."
The shutoff happened to a car magazine IIRC.
And I'm sorry, dude, de-contented or not, Honda has (albeit more shaky in recent years) better reliability with their vehicles than FCA.
This is reflected in lease rates.
When we looked at the Pacifica, it was $100 more/month due to residual (for transparency sake, the Pilot Touring was $60-70 more than the Ody Elite because of money factor).
In my area (Atlanta), we saw a bunch of Pacificas in 2017-2018, but that has completely eroded. Every (now former) owner of the Pacifica we spoke with had various issues.
We see only one of them at our 850-student elementary school - a white with the black wheels and blacked out grille.
As we've spoken with parents, all the others have been traded for Odysseys or (more recently) Kia Telluride and Honda Pilots (lease rates above have come back down). Folks aren't "upgrading" to Audi, BMW, Lincoln, etc. - they're side-grading (lateral) to get away from FCA.

·
Registered
355 Posts

This recall has already taken place in 2019, so either CR is late in getting out it's warning or the data you was looking at was made in 2019.

My elite was done in August 2019, no problems found with transmission and yes they did check the battery leads.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Can't disagree with some of your comments above (we liked the Pacifica better), but a pissing contest over "rollaway risk" is different from "car shuts off on the highway."
The shutoff happened to a car magazine IIRC.
And I'm sorry, dude, de-contented or not, Honda has (albeit more shaky in recent years) better reliability with their vehicles than FCA.
This is reflected in lease rates.
When we looked at the Pacifica, it was $100 more/month due to residual (for transparency sake, the Pilot Touring was $60-70 more than the Ody Elite because of money factor).
In my area (Atlanta), we saw a bunch of Pacificas in 2017-2018, but that has completely eroded. Every (now former) owner of the Pacifica we spoke with had various issues.
We see only one of them at our 850-student elementary school - a white with the black wheels and blacked out grille.
As we've spoken with parents, all the others have been traded for Odysseys or (more recently) Kia Telluride and Honda Pilots (lease rates above have come back down). Folks aren't "upgrading" to Audi, BMW, Lincoln, etc. - they're side-grading (lateral) to get away from FCA.
If reliability was your main metric, then why aren't you driving a Sienna? lol. When the 2018 Odyssey came out it ranked below the Pacifica in reliability ratings. Just FYI. But I know that perception is reality, even though as minivan owners, we already don't care about perception.

·
Registered
121 Posts
If reliability was your main metric, then why aren't you driving a Sienna? lol. When the 2018 Odyssey came out it ranked below the Pacifica in reliability ratings. Just FYI. But I know that perception is reality, even though as minivan owners, we already don't care about perception.
Again, do you have a fifth-gen Odyssey?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hybrid AWD 8 seater minivan with a new Toyota/Lexus look? YES PLEASE!!! I'll trade in my Ody for it right away!

Pretty sure Ody won't be redesigned for another 3-4 years

·
Registered
121 Posts
If reliability was your main metric, then why aren't you driving a Sienna?
because Toyota's infotainment (including Lexus) is one of the most counter-intuitive, cobbled together rubbish. I now run when I see a Toyota at Hertz.
I've rented the Sienna. It feels like a truck. It drives like.. a two-generation old Camry.

·
Registered
13 Posts
because Toyota's infotainment (including Lexus) is one of the most counter-intuitive, cobbled together rubbish. I now run when I see a Toyota at Hertz.
I've rented the Sienna. It feels like a truck. It drives like.. a two-generation old Camry.
It drives like a two generation year old Camry cause it is indeed on the Toyota K Platform that served on three generations of Camry since 2001 and from 2003 on Sienna.The 2021 Sienna will be on the new TNGA platform like the 2020 Highlander which is different than the current gen Sienna. Also it will have the new Infotainment from the new 2020 Highlander which will include Android Auto and Toyota Safety Sense 2.0. Hence the interest in the 2021 Sienna.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Do you even own a Sienna?

·
Registered
121 Posts
It drives like a two generation year old Camry cause it is indeed on the Toyota K Platform that served on three generations of Camry since 2001 and from 2003 on Sienna.The 2021 Sienna will be on the new TNGA platform like the 2020 Highlander which is different than the current gen Sienna. Also it will have the new Infotainment from the new 2020 Highlander which will include Android Auto and Toyota Safety Sense 2.0. Hence the interest in the 2021 Sienna.
I think there is a Toyota community....

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think there is a Toyota community....
Indeed Siennachat. Is this forum only for 2018+ Ody owners and comparison of other vehicles not allowed? I ask as I don't have very many post and new, looking to possibly buy an Ody next month. Also, you've posted to this forum subject 6 post, which is more than everyone else and also mentioned Pacifica which there is a community for that as well so I don't understand your comment.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts