Honda Odyssey Forum banner

OTHER than the appearance, what are the pros and cons of 2009 vs. 2010 vs. 2011?

7K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  PhilZJ 
#1 ·
Yes, I'm new here, and let me start by saying that I did do a search to review what has already been posted! However, when comparing the last gen Odysseys to the 2011...a major focus is on the appearance. I'll be honest with you - I'm really fine with EITHER style.

So, that being said, is there anything to really make one of these models stand out against the others? I'm really interested in reliability, and I feel like it's too soon to make a call on that with the 11s.

I'm looking at a couple of Certified EX-Ls with RES. One is a 2009 with 17k miles on it. The other is a 2010 with 13k miles. Price on both is 28,900. Both seem like pretty good deals to me, given that they are certified, so it adds an additional 12k to the manufacturer warranty (at least that's how they explained it). On the other hand, that also puts me pretty close to the price of a new Ody. Close...but at least 5k off...so I might want to save that 5k, especially if the 09 or 10 is perhaps a better car.

I know there are strong feelings on this and I'm not trying to start a war...and like I said, let's just pretend appearance DOESN'T matter, because I really am indifferent between the 2 gens!!

#2 · (Edited)
I would say that there are some technological upgrades to the 2011, but the 3rd gen also has some advantages, aside from the styling. If you have kids and care about the LATCH system or putting 3 car seats in the 2nd row, the 2011 wins with no question. On the other hand, if you like having a clear center isle (like I do), you want the 3rd gen as the 2011 only has one armrest on each captains chair. If you are going to have people in the 3rd row a lot I would also advise against the 2011. I have sat in both and its a lot more claustrophobic. I hope this was the sort of info you were looking for. If you give some more background info (what it will be used for, kids, pets, hauling, traveling, work, etc.) it might be easier for people to help. Also, what 2011 model Ody are you looking at?

#3 ·
As for 2009 vs 2010....I think you'll probably find in general the reliability should be the same. There's some nagging issues that seem to have made it all the way from 2005 to 2010...like power steering and VCM operation being a bit rough. The 2011 feels a little more substantial and buttoned down to me...and the brakes are better. The interior on the 2011 is also a big improvement in terms of fit/finish/feel. Cooler box is nice on the 2011. I believe you also get 100k mile powertrain warranty with the certified unit.

#4 ·
Thanks! These are exactly the kinds of comments I'm looking for!!

On the 2011, I'd also be looking at the EX-L with RES. So for all 3 years, I'm looking at the same model.

The van will be replacing a 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT. It will be used for hauling around my family, which consists of me, my husband, and 3 little girls aged 7, 6, and 5 mos. The older girls still sit in boosters (not legally required to anymore, but I still have them use them b/c due to their size, it's still recommended). My Dodge has captain's chairs, so we are accustomed to using all three rows. Of course, the bulk of the time, the van is used by just me...during a really long commute in and out of downtown ATL!

In any/all of these Ody's, can the kids in the 3rd row still see the LCD screen for the RES?

#5 ·
I've never heard any complaints from the 3rd row and believe me they would tell me. I have three girls as well:DD

Kids will have no problems getting to the 3rd row down the center isle. It's a little tight for an adult as mentioned above because of the arm rests...but those arm rests are also really nice to have. There is a removable seat that can fit in the 2nd row so in a pinch you can seat 8. We used it when the kids were smaller so my wife could sit between them and tend to the smallest.

#6 ·
The tire pressure monitors on the 2010 (and probably the 2009 as well) will display the pressure in each tire separately. Apparently on the 2011 you can no longer see the pressures of each tire, as there's only a generic indicator that pressure is low in at least one tire (but you aren't told which tire).

#8 ·
The biggest con for me (though I do not see another Honda in my near future) would be the fact that the 2011 is the first model year. I like to leave the growing pains on others to bear. :)

Reactions: robertwards
#10 ·
My guess as to why the individual tire pressure readings were deleted is that they never would have been available on the 3rd gen if it weren't for PAX, a system for which they were required. Once they dropped PAX, they kept the current system.

#13 ·
I hear what you're saying, but it doesn't completely make sense. Honda dropped PAX with, what was the year, 2008 or 2009? I have a 2010 Touring (with no PAX) that has the individual tire pressure readings. Honda could have continued including it on the 2011, just like the 2009 and 2010. Just because the feature is not required for the type of tire doesn't mean Honda is required to discontinue the feature.

A single low pressure light is so much less useful than individual tire pressure readings.

#11 ·
Well, thanks so much for the feedback, everyone!! Unfortunately, the 2010 I was looking at has already sold, and my husband just went and looked at the 2009 tonight...he said it has a number of dings on it both inside and out, and that the interior has a somewhat odd smell to it...so that's a no go as well!! Maybe it's time to hit the dealers again and see if I can get a good deal this weekend. It's the last weekend of the month/quarter...so maybe I'll get lucky and find one that needs to sell one to meet a target. If not...I'll keep my eyes out for a super low mileage 2010. Thanks again!

#12 ·
I wouldn't count on a 2010 being a really great deal. Good maybe, but not great. It would probably be cheaper than a 2011 and would be lower than it was new a year ago, but I have been told by my salesman that because of the new Ody design, the used Ody market has become pretty competitive and prices are at a premium.

#14 ·
Would be very tempted to go with a late model from the last generation if it has the features you are looking for.

Ask yourself how much you are willing to pay for any upgrades. The 2011 is quieter, especially in Touring trim. The 6-speed is supposed to grant better gas mileage, but periodicals are finding FE to be about the same. I didn't find the driving experience in the 6-speed to be better, it shifted more often, I found that to be an annoyance, but it depends on the roads you drive. The new Ody gives you nicer handles and grip on the wheel, but the steering is lighter in a way that few have liked. Visibility may be slightly hindered in the new van. I find the new wheels in the sub-Touring trims to look cheap. Interior materials on the newer Ody may be no better or worse than the Gen3 Ody. I found the driver seat narrower.

It's a real close call, with similar COO. May come down to whether you find the newer van's styling to be tolerable. If you like it, get the new one. If not, the 2010 is a solid vehicle with everything you need.

#15 ·
I know there are strong feelings on this and I'm not trying to start a war...and like I said, let's just pretend appearance DOESN'T matter, because I really am indifferent between the 2 gens!!
:argue: :D

Just test-drive both if you haven't so. I also looked at the 2010, I was able to get a good deal on a new one but a couple of things turned me off: interior is so dated, there are tons of them in my area and the middle seat (2nd row) was a no go for my needs...

1st gen issues: I guess they will always exist, but to me they are minor compared to the actual benefits of the car...

#16 ·
My wife and I looked and test drove a 2010 touring. To be honest, we liked it, but it had a dealbreaker to me. Past 55mp, the wind and road noise was more than I was willing to put up with (perhaps it was just the one we drove, I don't know). We drove a Pilot immediatly after, and that one was very acceptable as far as noise goes.

In the 2010 Odyssey, to me, the dashboard and button clusters looked like everything was an 'addition', nothing really blended (minor issue really). I also wished that it had HID headlamps, or atleast projector beams so I can more easily fit HID beams to it. The large halogen conversions don't look right mostly for motorists traveling towards you.

In favor of the 2010, I have to say is the captain chair in the 2nd row.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.