Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On 10/16/2004, 6.48 years ago (2365 days), we picked up our 2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L with Navigation and DVD and 16 miles on the Odo (First year model). That comes to 30864 Miles/Year (84.56 Miles/Day). And it's still running strong and smooth!It regularly tows our 18.5' Open Bow Ski Boat during the summer both close by and down to Pueblo Reservoir, although I'm looking for a Pilot or MDX for this year since she's getting up in mileage.

It's been an INCREDIBLY reliable car having just $700 in repairs ($500 for A/C Clutch @ 170K and $200 for Battery Cables @195K). Only problem now is a driver's side slidiing door that won't unlock and therefore, won't open. It's been that way for about 20K miles. Here's hoping she can go for another 100K and more!

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wow! Congrats on the milestone you have achieved! Thats good news to hear... Always good to know there are vehicles out there that will go the distance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I assume you are not counting expected maintainence like timing belt, coolant, plugs etc.?

BTW - can you give us an idea of your maintainence intervals for transmission fluid, oil changes and so on?

I am at 110K for a 2005 Touring.

On 10/16/2004, 6.48 years ago (2365 days), we picked up our 2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L with Navigation and DVD and 16 miles on the Odo (First year model). That comes to 30864 Miles/Year (84.56 Miles/Day). And it's still running strong and smooth!It regularly tows our 18.5' Open Bow Ski Boat during the summer both close by and down to Pueblo Reservoir, although I'm looking for a Pilot or MDX for this year since she's getting up in mileage.

It's been an INCREDIBLY reliable car having just $700 in repairs ($500 for A/C Clutch @ 170K and $200 for Battery Cables @195K). Only problem now is a driver's side slidiing door that won't unlock and therefore, won't open. It's been that way for about 20K miles. Here's hoping she can go for another 100K and more!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Out-Of-Pocket repairs only, not including maintenance or the time my wife slid into my 2006 Civic Hybrid (in 2007) or the curb a few months ago...OUCH! Timing Belt, Coolant, Plugs, Water Pump all done at ~105K, so we're about due again. Numerous pad replacements on brakes as well as tires. Still have the original "free update" Nav DVD that had a software update from mid 2005 or so.

I've neglected the tranny, though. The transmission fluid was changed about every 40-45K miles and I didn't do it numerous times to completely flush it out. Just one drain and fill each time. That includes when I am towing, too! I can't remember what brand I used, but it wasn't Honda. It might have been Valvoline Special Import Blend, but I'm not sure. I couldn't find it the last time, but the one I got was still "recommended for foreign vehicles". The tranny just started shifting a bit harsher into second within the last 10K miles but all other shifts are still really smooth. So, I imagine that if I had been faithful, it would still be shifting as smoothly as new. (OK...I know I've been bad. Let the flaming begin! )

Oil changes are done at intervals recommended by the maintenance reminder using Fram Oil Filters and whatever motor oil is cheap including Pep Boys, Checker or Walmart Brand. The Ody consumes about 3/4 of a quart between intervals which is typically ~6K miles as most all of our driving is in-town. I've never used synthetic oil on any of my Hondas (15 since 1980) and the majority went well beyond 100K miles. The ones that didn't were traded in on something else except our '92 Civic Sedan that was totaled by a teenager with a suspended license driving a Ford Exploder while talking on a cell phone. Only my 1978 Civic had to have an engine rebuild (~125K miles) and none of them would consume oil greater than a quart every 2K miles and those were generally the pre-1990 models. i know there are a lot of people that will only use synthetic and say that Fram are the worst filters on Earth. But I can't complain about the results I've had over the last 30 years (and probably around a million miles).

There were a couple of warranty items repaired including the rear engine mount and the DVD player. I've never bought an extended warranty on my Hondas...never needed it (knock on wood). That's why I've had 15 Hondas vs one '97 Dodge Grand Caravan (sucked), one '03 Chevy Suburban (good, but filling the tank was painful) and one '07 Toyota FJ Cruiser (didn't like it).

So, even though my Ody was one of the first Gen 3 models made (first NAV/RES off the lot from our dealer), it's still been a fantastic vehicle. I've had several first year model Hondas...'82 Accord, '92 Civic, '94 Accord, '99 Ody, '03 Pilot, and the '05 Ody. All have been awesome cars and I still would have no problems getting a first year model.

Hopefully, your Touring will be just as good. Just be better with the transmission fluid changes than me!!! GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One thing about the battery cables. I couldn't tighten them onto the post enough and they would loosen up. This was causing all sorts of strange problems. Slow crank, then no crank and couldn't jump start (not so strange). Turn the ignition completely off and then it usually started again. I thought the started solenoid was going bad.

But then, we had intermittent check engine light, then finally the VSA light start flashing and the engine would cut power. Once the engine was stopped and re-started, it was fine for another couple miles. When we took it to the dealer, I asked if it could be related to the cables and he said it might be. He checked the codes and VOILA! "Low Voltage" Changed the cables and it's been perfect ever since.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thats great to hear. With all the doom and gloom in this forum seeing a van make it to 200K is really impressive!

·
Registered
57 Posts
we had the same issue...

One thing about the battery cables. I couldn't tighten them onto the post enough and they would loosen up. This was causing all sorts of strange problems. Slow crank, then no crank and couldn't jump start (not so strange). Turn the ignition completely off and then it usually started again. I thought the started solenoid was going bad.

But then, we had intermittent check engine light, then finally the VSA light start flashing and the engine would cut power. Once the engine was stopped and re-started, it was fine for another couple miles. When we took it to the dealer, I asked if it could be related to the cables and he said it might be. He checked the codes and VOILA! "Low Voltage" Changed the cables and it's been perfect ever since.
ran through check engine lights...random codes...needing to be jump-started...

did you get new cables form Honda? my independent service guy simply snipped the ends of the cables (with the Honda terminals) off, dipped the fresh clipped cable ends into baking soda for a bit to clean off any corrosion/acid (and there was...turned the solution blue)...and simply clamped on some "old school" terminals...

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes. Got the new cables from Honda.

I considered doing what you did, too. But the cables are so tight in length, I was afraid I'd clip off the end and wouldn't have enough to get a good bite on the replacement clamp. We were about to leave on a trip from Denver to Ontario, CA, so I didn't want to take a chance. After 190K miles, the $200 for cables was worth it. But I'm glad it worked for you. When I have to replace them at 380K, I'll know what to do!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2006 Honda Odyssey Touring R + N - approx 85K miles as of 5-JAN-2011
Wow...Your Ody's just a BABY! :DD But, I'm surprised that your cables loosened up already.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts