Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Honda Odessey was forced off the road by another driver....it hit a tree mainly on the right side....do you think it totaled it?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear you were forced off the road - that sounds awful. Given the cost of body damage and the extent I'm assuming you've got along with the value of your older van, I'm guessing it would be considered a total loss by the insurance company.

·
Registered
657 Posts
You have no insurance claim to fix your car if you have only liability coverage. Your only claim would be from the other party. Their liability insurance will cover your car repair if they admit to it and did not just drove away. Did they hit your car? Or you dodge the hit/contact then hit the tree? How bad is the damage on the tree? What year is your van? Maybe between $1-4K?

·
Registered
975 Posts
I hope everyone involved is okay.

Pretty much any body damage that involves two or more body parts on our older vans, results in a totaled out vehicle. Is it still driveable? What body parts got damaged? If you are handy you can repair it yourself using parts out of wrecking yards. My grandfather backed into my Van years ago that resulted in a dented and rusted fender and the front bumper cracked the following winter plowing through unpaved streets and it only cost me $80 to replace both parts. Of course I had to wait for a white wrecked honda with a good front bumper and fender.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I hope everyone involved is okay.

Pretty much any body damage that involves two or more body parts on our older vans, results in a totaled out vehicle. Is it still driveable? What body parts got damaged? If you are handy you can repair it yourself using parts out of wrecking yards. My grandfather backed into my Van years ago that resulted in a dented and rusted fender and the front bumper cracked the following winter plowing through unpaved streets and it only cost me $80 to replace both parts. Of course I had to wait for a white wrecked honda with a good front bumper and fender.
Agree with you.
We bought a 2002 Ody bumper car about 4 years ago to drive into and out of Atlanta several times a week. It had a heavily damaged liftgate, rear bumper, right side sliding door and left front fender. No real structural damage except rear frame (unibody) cross support was slightly distorted. Bought all necessary parts at a pull your own lot for $240. With the help of this site and a Haynes manual, removal and installation was pretty easy and was done in one weekend. The distorted rear cross support was just as easy. 2 4x4's and a bottle jack to placed in the rear seat well and a 4 pound hammer as a helper were used to push the support back in line. When done the lift gate closed securely and like new.
We have also replaced the front bumper for about $50 since then. No repair took any real effort and could be done with simple garage tools.
Very pleased with this generation of Ody.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Agree with you.
We bought a 2002 Ody bumper car about 4 years ago to drive into and out of Atlanta several times a week. It had a heavily damaged liftgate, rear bumper, right side sliding door and left front fender. No real structural damage except rear frame (unibody) cross support was slightly distorted. Bought all necessary parts at a pull your own lot for $240. With the help of this site and a Haynes manual, removal and installation was pretty easy and was done in one weekend. The distorted rear cross support was just as easy. 2 4x4's and a bottle jack to placed in the rear seat well and a 4 pound hammer as a helper were used to push the support back in line. When done the lift gate closed securely and like new.
We have also replaced the front bumper for about $50 since then. No repair took any real effort and could be done with simple garage tools.
Very pleased with this generation of Ody.
Glad to hear of the success story.
That's a very important point about whether the damage was on replaceable parts (doors, bumpers, hatch, plastic snap-in panels, etc.) that can be picked up at a junk yard and DIY'ed for cheap vs. other body damage that will be out of DIY range of most people, and will cost a lot more.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Glad to hear of the success story.
That's a very important point about whether the damage was on replaceable parts (doors, bumpers, hatch, plastic snap-in panels, etc.) that can be picked up at a junk yard and DIY'ed for cheap vs. other body damage that will be out of DIY range of most people, and will cost a lot more.
Over my many years, I have found that there are many repairs, including minor structural, that can be done DYI. In most cases people are just concerned that they will mess up. When the thing is already messed up and you cannot afford a replacement vehicle, it is at least worth a try. I would rather repair a machine that I know than purchase a machine that I have no familiarity with, if at all possible. That is one of the functions of sites like Ody Club.
In my experience, severe structural damage must happen to make a restoration impossible. Barring that, most other damage is repairable DIY but might take patience and some research. In my experience, the Gen 2 Ody is a very robust vehicle. It can take front, rear and side collisions with little structural damage to the unibody. Do not give up on them without research. We have a 2001 (approaching 300K) and a 2002 (approaching 400K). Both have been hit with external damage but nothing that I could not repair after researching on this website. One rear end on the 2002 in Atlanta totally destroyed a late model Mercedes while only damaging the rear bumper and the impact structure (both easily replaced) on the Ody. Tells you something about the robustness of the design.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Some repair shop will, for a much lower cost, do a "make it not obviously wrecked" repair. I had a Toyota Corolla a while back that was rear ended and pushed the driver side back corner forward about 6 inches compared to where it should have been. My repair shop got it pushed (or maybe pulled? I wasn't there to watch) back to about where it was supposed to be, did a little touch up hear and there and for $500 I drove the car another 5 years. They totaled it for about $2500, and I paid the $100 to keep the car and kept the rest

1 - 8 of 8 Posts