Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Saturday night, drove over 2 hours to a wedding with 4 people on the van. From 101 N, we got off Kanan road went up the hill, the van reved real high but going quite slow. I pulled over and tried again, it seemed it wouldn't shift from 1st gear and we can smell the burning oil. Checked the fluid and it was ok and confirmed the smell was from the trans fluid. If I waited for about 10 mins it seems to work better but then repeated the problem. Had it towed to wedding place and checked again about 3 hours later. It drove almost like normal in the parking lot. Didn't want to take the risk, had it towed home and to the dealer on Monday. Service manager called and said it need new trans, $4000+. I told him to call Honda for help and am waiting for him to call back. He also said the side motor mount was bad.

It has about 105k miles on it and drove flawlessly, EXCEPT FOR THE WHINNING NOISE from the trans (I believe many of us have this noise). We drove it up to Mammoth lake this past December with no signs of prolem. The van did have the judder problem before at around 50k miles and was fixed with the new rear motor mount.

Wife is pissed, this is our first Honda (we were Toyota fans) and it was my idea because i like its handling.

It's an 05 EXL

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
Sounds like the clutch pack is worn out - the flaring and burned ATF are the clues. A dealer transmission is the priciest option, unless you can get a reduction through Honda. In the meantime, call around and get some other estimates, especially from Jasper or Gator which several owners recommend.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honda is helping and now we pay $2600, not sure if it includes the side motor mount. This is a refurbished unit from Honda and comes with 3 yrs warranty.

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
I would price Jasper or Gator and compare it with your out of pocket costs with Honda's help. I would NOT go for a replacement Honda if I can get a Jasper or Gator for a few $$ more. Honda does NOT fix design issues with their trannies. Jasper and Gator do seem to be modifying the passageways for the prior gen. Ask lots of questions to both Jasper and Gator to see what they do for 2005 trannies.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. I must have missed the posts about Jasper or Gato as I have never heard of them. It's probably too late but I'll do some search on them.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is the link from Jasper, they only sell the refurbished trans, not install. The way I read the link below, it cost $3177 for the trans and another $1800 if they don't get the core. Or is it $3177 minus $1800 if they get the core? If $3177 with the core, it's too much for just the part alone and we have to have the van towed to an installer. They do modify the some parts and it sounds promising but I can't justify the cost, almost $5000 compared to $2600.

Vehicle Owners Find A Price | Jasper Engines

·
Registered
419 Posts
I would take all the help I could from Honda, get the re-man tranny which comes with 3/36, and sell in a year. I don't think you are going to get a Gator or Jasper installed for 1,400 or whatever the difference is. Also, does your Honda deal include the ECU (computer)? And, if they are doing the trans, they should NOT charge you for the labor on the mount and just charge for the part.

I had the same deal on my Acura, Honda paid 2200 and included the ECU with 3/36. One of the mounts needed replacing and they did not charge me the labor, just the price of the mount.

I've heard that Honda did update the design after 05 with a bigger case and moved the oil jet kit on the inside.

Good Luck with your decision.

Pat

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You meant the engine mount or the trans mount, or are they the same? SM did tell me the side motor mount was bad and needed replacement.

It's too late to change because I told the service manager yesterday morning to go ahead with the repair. I was just currious about Jasper/Gator.
We probably need to change car less than 3 years from now anyway so the warranty will give us a piece of mind until then.

I think there are only a few of us with the 3rd generation Ody that have a failed trans. I wonder at what mileage did the others fail and if the whinning sound was an indicator.

·
Registered
419 Posts
The engine mount. There are 4, front, side, side, rear. In order to replace the trans, the engine has to be supported and that is the best time for the bad engine mount to be replaced. Its not too late, I'm sure if you told him yesterday to go ahead, they then ordered the trans. I don't see them having that in stock.

If the mount is bad, call back and have them do it. Also, at 105K is time for timing belt and water pump, you get those done?

Also, is the ECU included in the price of the trans with help of Honda?

P.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just curious as a new Ody owner. Did you change your transmission fluid pretty religiously? I have heard the Odys have transmission problems, but I have also heard that changing the fluid more often helps relieve the issues to some extent.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The engine mount. There are 4, front, side, side, rear. In order to replace the trans, the engine has to be supported and that is the best time for the bad engine mount to be replaced. Its not too late, I'm sure if you told him yesterday to go ahead, they then ordered the trans. I don't see them having that in stock.

If the mount is bad, call back and have them do it. Also, at 105K is time for timing belt and water pump, you get those done?

Also, is the ECU included in the price of the trans with help of Honda?

P.
Yup, water pump and timing belt changed. Trans fluid changed every 30k and actually it was changed twice between 90k and 105k (by my mistake)

·
Registered
4 Posts
FYI: I have 116,000 on my 2004 and have the whining sound. Trans flush has been done a couple of times and the dealer (last week) told me not to worry about it, but it is a sign of eventual failure. They quoted me $3,500.00 for a rebuilt and 3 year warranty.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I forgot to ask, what is the ECU ? isn't it for whole car's control unit? and why it needs to change with the trans? is it standard procedure?

·
Registered
7,511 Posts
The term ECU (engine control unit) is used synonymously with PCM (powertrain control module) by many mechanics, pro or shadetree (like me).

I believe on the Gen 3 Odys not only did Honda change a tranny when warranted, but also flashed the ECU with new software to make change the shift pattern for better tranny life.

OF

·
Registered
419 Posts
I got 50/50 from Honda and they told me that a new ECU went with the new reman tranny. Whether is standard I don't know. All I know is that I paid 2200 for the tranny, ECU and 3/36.

P.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Payor, your signature shows you have 04, 08 and now 10 Odyssey. Did you have trans problem with the 04 and 08? All people I know that have Honda van, had problem with their trans and motor mounts, yet they continued to buy the newer Honda van to replace the old ones. I don't get the idea.

Areproberts, I have a friend who is a mechanic and only drives Hondas (4 cylinder only). He said Honda Trans went down hill after 1988 era and the newer trans need to replace the fluid at 15 kmiles, not 30.

·
Registered
419 Posts
My experiences with the tranny is with my 03 tl, same tranny as the 04 odys and possibly the 05, 06. My 04 did not give me any issues with it and I was able to sell before trams problems. The 08, was wrecked (no fault of my own). My 10 was a great deal for the last gen3 touring.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Also both my Acura/Honda dealer, same name have done most everything to keep me coming back to them.
My oil changes are almost free and I've yet had any reason to go anywhere else.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Just curious as a new Ody owner. Did you change your transmission fluid pretty religiously?
That's my question too.

Just out of curiosity, what's the service history on this 2005's transmission?

Joel

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My answer was posted up there, every 30 kmiles (with the major service). Between 90k to 105k, It was done twice. That was the first thing the sm looked at when I asked him to call Honda. It it wasn't done properly, he might not have called. As someone stated above, the whinnig sound is the sign and if yours has this sound, change every 15k instead.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts