Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking here for a few years as an Odyssey owner, learned many good things reading through the topics here.

Since safety is a primary concern for many parents out there, I thought I'd share our story.

We had a 2010 Odyssey EX-L that we bought used and it was up to ~150K when it protected us from a very serious accident.

We were on our way home from dinner with extended family, it was myself, the wife, our 7 year old son, 5 year old daughter and our small dog. It was dark and lightly raining I was doing 45 mph in the left lane about 1/4 mile from the left turn off the main road into our neighborhood. A 17-year old driver on the other side of the road was speeding (60 in a 45) and aggressively weaving through traffic. He lost control of his late 90's Ford Explorer, jumped the median slamming into the front left corner of our Honda Odyssey. That front impact pushed us into the center lane front of a vehicle in the center lane causing a secondary high speed rear impact, a 3rd impact occurred as the first vehicle slammed into the left rear corner, those 3 collisions occurred in less than 1 second. We had spun to a stop in just under 4 seconds, having spun almost 360 degrees. There were 8 cars involved in total. The teen driver was ejected from his SUV on impact and knocked out, but apparently came to and was able to get up and walk around after a few minutes... 6 people involved were taken via ambulance (4 of them from our car). I had lacerations from head to mid leg from the broken glass from the windshield and side window, minor surgery was required to remove a few chunks of glass a month later. My knees did hit the dash (I'm over 6 ft) and had some internal joint bruising. My wife partially tore her hip labrums, herniated 2 disks, some internal internal knee damage, fractured a tooth and had PTSD. She has ongoing nerve damage/sensation loss in her leg, 2.5 months on crutches. Our two kids were in the second row in forward facing boosters, son had minor internal joint bruising in his hip and PTSD. Daughter had mostly bumps/bruises. Everyone had whiplash which resolved withing a couple months. Dog was surprisingly OK and rode with the firefighters to a few more calls before a family member was able to collect her.

The firefighters had to use the jaws of life to pop the driver door open as there was no way to actuate the latch, but after that it opened ok. Passenger door opened fine, rear doors were able to be opened manually with just a little shoving from the firefighters despite the damage. Multiple emergency service personnel said they were expecting fatalities when they saw the crash scene and were surprised to find us all alert and with non life threatening injuries. Other than my wife we were all able to walk with minimal assistance needed once we had been gotten out. I credit our Odyssey with how well we came away. Considering the fact that the first impact was a smaller offset and approaching 100 MPH and the second rear impact was at least 40 MPH the Odyssey absorbed a ton of energy and didn't collapse or allow us to be crushed. I will say the angle of the front impact was important, the front left of our Ody hit the right front side of the oncoming explorer as he was skidding sideways, had we hit more nose to nose I'd likely have been more critically injured or killed as the full weight of the oncoming vehicle would have been in line with me and there is only so much force the structure and the human body can take. Despite being an older generation Odyssey, it still held up extremely well, airbags did what they were supposed to and the car's structure absorbed a ton of energy and held together very well. I credit the Odyssey with us being alive and in generally good shape.

We are a couple years out from the accident and we are doing generally OK, wife still has some numbness in her leg and her back/hips get a little sore if she over does it, but she has an active job and is able to still do that and keep up with two active kids.

Car Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle
Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Tire

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle
Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover

I did have dash camera's outside and inside, I do caution you if you watch this is going to show the front inside cabin of the Odyssey during the crash, and us getting thrown around/hurt. No visible blood or anything like that, and no audio on the inside during the crash but it may still be something not everyone wants to watch. So don't watch if seeing a car crash will upset you. I have not included the video of the second row cause seeing the kids getting thrown around and hurt is not something that needs to be seen.

And finally, of course we had to replace the 2010 Odyssey as there was no chance of saving it. We didn't even bother looking at anything else, we found a nice 2016 Odyssey EX-L with 40K on it and brought it home. We used some of the settlement money to replace our aging 2008 CRV with a 2017 Pilot touring as well. We felt both of these new cars will keep us safe going forward :) Be safe out there everyone!

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
4,849 Posts
Wow. That was brutal. So glad to hear everyone made it out alive.

When it comes to safety Honda is probably the first brand that comes to my mind. Even today as other parts of their vehicles have become less desirable, their safety still remains at a very high standard. Seeing these stories reaffirms my decision 16 years ago to get an Odyssey for my family. It has kept us safe on multiple occasions, which I am very grateful for, and my Accord also kept my family safe in a wreck.

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
Hoolee crow! I've seen newsreels of crashes with less damage but with fatalities. You are all very fortunate to have survived, thanks to your Odyssey.

Glad to hear everyone is doing well now.

Your story is a reminder that while cars are machines that can sometimes tax our patience, the important thing is that they get everyone home safely.

·
Premium Member
8,559 Posts
...Impressed how your wife is still holding the pizza box through all that!
An amazing detail, for sure.

I was waiting for things to start coming apart in terms of cabin integrity. Cannot, cannot believe it all held up so well...that was a bunch of major collisions bundled into one string of almost-disasters.

I saw the video only once, and now it's stuck in my head. Can't "un-see" it.

Glad that nobody was badly, badly hurt. I always wondered about the solid safety ratings for Honda products. Now, I know what it all means.

Young teenage males and SUV's ... their premiums are usually really high for a $%#@ reason, yet parents keep thinking, "Oh, my high-school aged son can drive an SUV. He wouldn't drive dangerously."

OF

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Wow wow...this is certainly a very interesting threat, specially with the dashcam view. I'm glad your family and everyone involved made it. Accidents happens really quick as we can see, and glad as you said that the angle he came from, wasn't straight forward. I always recommend having a dash cam in the car for situations like this. One thing that I noticed is that the passenger side "side curtains" didn't deploy. Question, how was that dash cam attached to the ceiling?..after the crash was still holding tight...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow wow...this is certainly a very interesting threat, specially with the dashcam view. I'm glad your family and everyone involved made it. Accidents happens really quick as we can see, and glad as you said that the angle he came from, wasn't straight forward. I always recommend having a dash cam in the car for situations like this. One thing that I noticed is that the passenger side "side curtains" didn't deploy. Question, how was that dash cam attached to the ceiling?..after the crash was still holding tight...
Yea the right side curtain/seat airbags didn't deploy, however we didn't take any direct hits to the right side... where as we took two hits to left and then we were rear ended on the right corner sorta... the rear collision was odd. Typically when you get hit in the front in a offset crash the back end of the vehicle lifts off the ground a bit due to the sudden deceleration and moves sideways as you pivot about the point of front impact (to see this look up the small overlap crash test video on the odyssey). Looking at the damage of the car that we got shoved in front of it appears we made contact just above their left front wheel (so we were likely still wheels off the ground in the back) and they rode under us until about the A pillar on their sedan reached the rear frame of the odyssey which deflected them out from under us and sent them off the right side of the roadway into a tree. So in that sense the right rear crash was an uncommon type of collision and not the standard rear end impact which might explain why it didn't trigger the right curtians as it may not have fit the profile the sensor is looking for... It's debatable if the rear collision should have triggered them in the first place, maybe. It's also possible that after the front airbags deployed (which occured before the front has fully been crushed in) the damage that occured from that impact damaged the airbag electrical system and it couldn't fire the right airbags on the subsequent right rear corner impact as the battery and fuse boxes are on the left front corner which is where we got slammed... Airbags are great and all but when you get hit multiple times they really only help for the first impact as they start to deflate pretty fast, so if they all blow on the first impact even if it's not on that side of the car then on subsequent impacts they won't do much, From seeing other dash cam videos it looks like on a lot of cars it will only fire the ones it needs to on the initial impact and then if a subsequent impact occurs that requires it to fire the remaining airbags it will do so...

I decided on having an interior view camera in case of anyone making any claim about what I was doing (whether it be a police officer thinking I didn't have my seatbelt on or was texting, or some road raging idiot coming up to my window and having to defend myself... whatever the unusual situation might be). After having the crash I can say the inside view really helped explain the injuries and showed the severity of what happened to us, leaving the insurance companies no room to say we were overstating injuries or such.... Plus it showed I was driving correctly and wasn't texting or distracted. There is actually one more inside video angle I didn't include as it was facing rearward inside and you can see the kids getting thrown around and hurt and thats not something anyone wants to see. The overhead camera was a 2 channel older blackvue I had picked up cheap from a friend that upgraded. I took a simple L shaped bracket (found in the lumber and decking section in homedepot) and bent it into a slightly odd shape and slipped it between the headliner and the sunroof shade (the bracket follows the shape of the headliner and is about 2 inches long, and didn't interfere with the sunroof or shade operation). I mounted the camera to that bracket with 3m body and moulding tape (used for mounting trim panels to the outside of cars).

Automotive design Car Automotive exterior Personal luxury car Auto part

Since my front and rear camera both failed to stay in place (mounts snapped off) and I had a few other dash cam related failures due to the severity of the crash, I did a thread in the dash cam area on another forum I'm an admin on: Dashcam Installs Lessons Learned . I showed what failed, and what should be done for a better install having learned a bunch from going through a bad crash. I included pictures of the new odyssey all wired up with the new camera's I got, and I did reuse the blackvue from the old odyssey as it survived, it's now a left/right facing camera mounted in the third row on the fixed windows, did a very similar install on my wifes pilot. I had a dash cam save me once before from someone that backed into me at a light and then told insurance I rear ended them, so I fully agree a dash cam is a worth while investment and you should have one. I take one even in rental cars when I travel.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Yea the right side curtain/seat airbags didn't deploy, however we didn't take any direct hits to the right side... where as we took two hits to left and then we were rear ended on the right corner sorta... the rear collision was odd. Typically when you get hit in the front in a offset crash the back end of the vehicle lifts off the ground a bit due to the sudden deceleration and moves sideways as you pivot about the point of front impact (to see this look up the small overlap crash test video on the odyssey). Looking at the damage of the car that we got shoved in front of it appears we made contact just above their left front wheel (so we were likely still wheels off the ground in the back) and they rode under us until about the A pillar on their sedan reached the rear frame of the odyssey which deflected them out from under us and sent them off the right side of the roadway into a tree. So in that sense the right rear crash was an uncommon type of collision and not the standard rear end impact which might explain why it didn't trigger the right curtians as it may not have fit the profile the sensor is looking for... It's debatable if the rear collision should have triggered them in the first place, maybe. It's also possible that after the front airbags deployed (which occured before the front has fully been crushed in) the damage that occured from that impact damaged the airbag electrical system and it couldn't fire the right airbags on the subsequent right rear corner impact as the battery and fuse boxes are on the left front corner which is where we got slammed... Airbags are great and all but when you get hit multiple times they really only help for the first impact as they start to deflate pretty fast, so if they all blow on the first impact even if it's not on that side of the car then on subsequent impacts they won't do much, From seeing other dash cam videos it looks like on a lot of cars it will only fire the ones it needs to on the initial impact and then if a subsequent impact occurs that requires it to fire the remaining airbags it will do so...

I decided on having an interior view camera in case of anyone making any claim about what I was doing (whether it be a police officer thinking I didn't have my seatbelt on or was texting, or some road raging idiot coming up to my window and having to defend myself... whatever the unusual situation might be). After having the crash I can say the inside view really helped explain the injuries and showed the severity of what happened to us, leaving the insurance companies no room to say we were overstating injuries or such.... Plus it showed I was driving correctly and wasn't texting or distracted. There is actually one more inside video angle I didn't include as it was facing rearward inside and you can see the kids getting thrown around and hurt and thats not something anyone wants to see. The overhead camera was a 2 channel older blackvue I had picked up cheap from a friend that upgraded. I took a simple L shaped bracket (found in the lumber and decking section in homedepot) and bent it into a slightly odd shape and slipped it between the headliner and the sunroof shade (the bracket follows the shape of the headliner and is about 2 inches long, and didn't interfere with the sunroof or shade operation). I mounted the camera to that bracket with 3m body and moulding tape (used for mounting trim panels to the outside of cars).

View attachment 168342

Since my front and rear camera both failed to stay in place (mounts snapped off) and I had a few other dash cam related failures due to the severity of the crash, I did a thread in the dash cam area on another forum I'm an admin on: Dashcam Installs Lessons Learned . I showed what failed, and what should be done for a better install having learned a bunch from going through a bad crash. I included pictures of the new odyssey all wired up with the new camera's I got, and I did reuse the blackvue from the old odyssey as it survived, it's now a left/right facing camera mounted in the third row on the fixed windows, did a very similar install on my wifes pilot. I had a dash cam save me once before from someone that backed into me at a light and then told insurance I rear ended them, so I fully agree a dash cam is a worth while investment and you should have one. I take one even in rental cars when I travel.
Wow great info, regarding the airbag that's what I thought, that maybe the sensors for the side curtains didn't get triggered. Even though for an impact so hard everything should have deployed to avoid the passengers behind the passenger side having a direct impact with the glass. what car was the one that hit you from behind?... like u said, that bad boy just went underneath the van. We have similar incident with a dashcam. My wife's mazda 3 got totalled and was recorded in video (I only hand front camera at that time). After the incident I ended up grabbing a couple for the rear. My current setup is a Rove R2 in the front and a Yi dash cam in the back. The Rove R2 shows great info. When the accident happened I only had a Yi in the front. The side view is great option as well the inside camera as u were able to show it in court. I have thought using a NVR with the same layout that you have, but saving it on an actual HD or SDD, but current cameras are too big. Thank you for sharing the link.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow great info, regarding the airbag that's what I thought, that maybe the sensors for the side curtains didn't get triggered. Even though for an impact so hard everything should have deployed to avoid the passengers behind the passenger side having a direct impact with the glass. what car was the one that hit you from behind?... like u said, that bad boy just went underneath the van. We have similar incident with a dashcam. My wife's mazda 3 got totalled and was recorded in video (I only hand front camera at that time). After the incident I ended up grabbing a couple for the rear. My current setup is a Rove R2 in the front and a Yi dash cam in the back. The Rove R2 shows great info. When the accident happened I only had a Yi in the front. The side view is great option as well the inside camera as u were able to show it in court. I have thought using a NVR with the same layout that you have, but saving it on an actual HD or SDD, but current cameras are too big. Thank you for sharing the link.
The car that we got shoved into/in front of was a VW passat. The damage from just behind the left headlight back to the A pillar is what I believe occurred from the back of our Odyssey, the rest of the front end damage was them getting sent off the road into a tree.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Yes, they have only just started making more than just two channel systems for dash cams in the last year or two that are actually decent. I like the 3 channel Viofo A139 a lot, I have two of them and they have both been running non stop for over a year now with no issues. (
) 2k Front, 1080 rear, 1080 inside and the inside has IR nightvision for filming in no light conditions. All adhesive mount so less chance of coming loose in a more intense crash. That said even a basic front only dash cam is generally enough to prove you didn't run a redlight and show what you as the driver were seeing, more channels is just extra protection.

·
Premium Member
8,559 Posts
Your RDForum writeup is solid. Thanks for taking the time to pass on these observations. I don't know if I'd have the mental or emotional energy to keep the wreck in perspective and compose such a well-detailed writeup.

Those multi-channel dashcams are something else. Thanks for the details on that 3-channel job you're using. Over a year on two separate units, that's good information.

OF

1 - 10 of 10 Posts