Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We christened our new '01 SS EX with a week-long trip up the CA coast-Los Angeles to Morro Bay to Carmel. We took US 101 (4 lane divided hwy) to Morro Bay for a night, then 2 lane CA 1 up the rest of the way to Carmel, stopping at the Hearst Castle for a quick tour and Big Sur for a lunch with a killer view. The Ody was a champ on the freeways between LA and Morro Bay-I felt like I was king of the road, and my daughter and her friend were happy as clams watching their video collection on the iVES system. The interior noise was lower than our Volvo 850 Turbo, which is not as quiet as a LExus, but is still not bad-I was pleased, and my wife and I had no trouble chatting and listening to our old-fart music (70s rock and 80s New Age) while the kids watched the iVES theater-listening to Enya while driving our Odyssey through Big Sur was a truly New Age experience, suitable for an advertisement. I musr admit I was a bit apprehensive taking Hwy 1 with the Ody-this road hugs the steep sides of some pretty sheer mountains that drop right off the edge of the road into the sea, and I was not sure I would be comfortable driving a large vehicle such as the Ody on the twisty 2 lane parts. However, it was a breeze (I pulled over to allow the S2000 that was following us for awhile to pass), and we coasted into our Carmel Valley hotel suite in style. We got a killer deal at the Carmel Valley Ranch-this place usually runs $350 and up per night, but they had a $150/night special running for a 800 s.f. suite-we felt like royalty in our suite, motoring around the Carmel area in our beautiful new Odyssey. Driving the 2 lane helped me vary the speed to break in the engine-we got it new the week before our trip, so I had most of the break-in miles to go when we left. After our Idyllic stay in Carmel, we took the Carmel Valley road east through some georgeous California countryside, also with lots of twisty roads. However, on this leg I had to stop a few times-my wife and daughter were not handling the motion too well and looked a bit green, so we took our time on our way to US 101, then headed back down to LA, with a stop in Ventura for some beach time. I had managed to get some of the new accessories installed before we left, but I had to wait until we got back to take care of the rest. We averaged around 24 MPG, for the entire trip, which was around 850 miles (lots of side trips!). All in all, a great trip in the best long distance vehicle I have owned yet.

------------------
2001 EX
iVES
Infinity 652s/452s/105ts
Honda Wood Dash
Wheel Locks
Cargo Tray
Cargo Mat
Cargo Cover
Roof Rails
Cassette Player
Heartland console

Coming up: Foglights,CD Changer,Glove Box Light

[This message has been edited by odyfox (edited 08-21-2001).]

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by odyfox:
I musr admit I was a bit apprehensive taking Hwy 1 with the Ody-this road hugs the steep sides of some pretty sheer mountains that drop right off the edge of the road into the sea, and I was not sure I would be comfortable driving a large vehicle such as the Ody on the twisty 2 lane parts. </font>
Sounds like a very fun trip. I have been on those twisty clifftop coastline roads in California a couple of times. I have never understood the lack of guardrails to protect from plunging off the cliffs! Yeah, I know, they could block the views. But I'm sure a rail could be designed that would be a bit helpful in keeping cars on the road while still allowing a view. Looking at the view while driving would make it more likely that someone would drive off a cliff.

If the State of California fails to install guardrails while knowing the danger, doesn't it open them up to negligence lawsuits when someone accidentally drives over the edge?

Maybe there's a good reason for no guardrails that this non-Californian just doesn't know about.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Well written, odyfox. Thanks for sharing your experience.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've taken that trip, Pasa Robles to San Francisco four or five times and it is breathtaking to say the least. Guardrails aren't necessary....that is as long as you are heading north! For anyone contemplating the drive north to south, I suggest that you are well rested. I'll bet it is great in the ody. If you have any type of vertigo, stay home or try the 101 route. Still a nice view.

------------------

See my Pics

Tom
2002 RP EXL-RES

[This message has been edited by tomhan (edited 10-19-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts