Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought in my 2013 Honda Ody w/ 12,500 miles for service B to Ourisman Honda in Laurel; Keith Breeden, Manager. When I came to pick it up I did a walk around and noticed not only a paint chip in the top rear quarter but bubbles underneath the paint. Triple Diamond White paint. They had cut the paint by leaving the pressure washer on it during a car wash and the water had begun to peel away under the paint layer. They'd also damaged the finish on 3 wheels with the pressure washer too.

No manager was on duty when I was picking the car up tonight - so the only promised resolution was "We'll look at the cameras and get back to you". I have their documents showing no previous damage to my van. The service advisor verbally said he knows there was no damage before - but would not write that down.

The van "was' immaculate, not a single ding or scratch. Gets driven about 650 miles per month and always garaged.

Not sure how I need to handle this, advice appreciated. I need them to own up and commit to fix it correctly. I don't think I want their body shop working on my car - especially since they are too careful w/ the use of a pressure washer.

Is there a Honda Ombudsmen contact anywhere? Any advice appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I'd be pissed. I'd start by sending a message to Honda on their facebook and twitter pages with the pics. See how fast they get back to you! I did something similar recently with a bank here and I got satisfaction asap. Good luck

·
Super Moderator
13,558 Posts
I would be pissed too. What ever you do, do NOT let them paint more than the sliding door rail cover which is what they seem to have damaged. Best would be for them to replace the cover with another one they have on the used car lot that has not been repainted. They can put on the repainted one on that car. :D

·
Registered
8,718 Posts
They probably held the pressure washer nozzle too close to the van.

Paint quality is diminishing IMHO due to stricter environmental regulations. Even a quick blast at close distance would cause this very unfortunate damage.

Sometimes I wish pressure washers had never been invented. I once saw a wooden deck seriously damaged by one. Car dealerships should know enough to never use them. It was a nice gesture of your dealer to give you a complementary car wash. Had they washed your van with a soft mop and a bucket of soapy water, your van would still be pristine.

Dave

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quick update - the body shop at the Ourisman Honda dealership say they're Honda Certified and would lifetime guaranty their work. They removed the damaged rail cover, painted and replaced it. When I got it back I could immediately see waves in the paint and where the previous damage had been - completely unacceptable. The rail cover was not attached correctly either.

In my first post I'd mentioned they'd damaged 3 of the 4 wheels, but I told them I wanted the fourth one refinished as well to ensure they all matched. Well, they charged me $225 to repair that wheel.

Seeing how this was not going to end well and being smart ass angry belligerent rarely helps in these cases - I callled American Honda and a friend that works at Allstate. They gave me the correct part number for the factory painted rail cover and a cost of $93; they opened a case with the dealership. I took the van back and asked them to order a new rail cover as this is the correct remedy for their chargeback to Honda for claming defective paint. The Service manager said he'd not heard of this solution and didn't realize it was a simple removable panel. I told him he was fortunate to have such educated customers helping him thru these troublesome issues. He agreed, and we waited for the part to come in, then I waited for the snow/ice to subside.

So a month later, the van paintwork is done. One wheel was done shoddy - but I don't feel like dealing with them. I had four trips to the dealership, and am out $225 to repair one wheel and $185 for the regular service that caused all this adventure. I've asked American Honda to refund a % of these charges to repair loyaly.

Bad, frustrating and time consuming process.

·
Registered
8,718 Posts
In my first post I'd mentioned they'd damaged 3 of the 4 wheels, but I told them I wanted the fourth one refinished as well to ensure they all matched. Well, they charged me $225 to repair that wheel.
Yeah, my dealer refinished a wheel they damaged but it turned out slightly yellowish compared to OE. They couldn't see the difference, but I did.

It was probably a good idea to refinish all 4 to make them the same, but they were within their rights to charge you for the undamaged fourth.

Dave

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, my dealer refinished a wheel they damaged but it turned out slightly yellowish compared to OE. They couldn't see the difference, but I did.

It was probably a good idea to refinish all 4 to make them the same, but they were within their rights to charge you for the undamaged fourth.

Dave
Yup, I agree that they were within their rights to charge me full retail to repair the only wheel they didn't damage. I get it, but it's not the way they're going to keep me as a customer. I've bought two Honda's and had them serviced there for 6 years - not anymore. I understand that accidents can happen, but how one deals with the problem and the customer, it can turn a bad situation into an opportunity to build loyalty. It doesn't mean giving away freebies either. Unfortunately, this was not one of those times.

·
Registered
72 Posts
This is why I never accept those free complimentary car washes at dealerships! I wash my own cars thank you very much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts