Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello folks,

We bought our '07 Honda EX-L with 60K as our first van this past Fall. I noticed right away the van was very hard to steer but chalked it up to it being a bigger car than our little Ford Edge. December, we got a letter from Honda saying the warranty had been extended to cover a faulty power steering pump. So, I brought it in to the Honda dealer and they replaced the pump. The power steering now is awesome! I never knew the Odyssey was capable of parking without a white knuckle grip!

The problem is that now, AFTER the steering pump has been replaced the van is making this awful groaning/whining sound with every turn of the wheel. At first it was at slow speeds. I have heard it in other cars when parking and didn't think much of it. Now, I hear it all the time. Not just low speeds, going around a slight bend in the road at 40MPH I hear this sound. It is actually kind of embarrassing now as we drive through the neighborhood, loudly whining and groaning with every turn.

So I bought it into the dealer again last week and they looked at the pump and drove it around the parking lot. I didn't get in the van with the mechanic since I had a little one to occupy inside the dealership. The mechanic says the pump is fine and the steering is "actually one of the quietest he has heard in the Odyssey."

My question: Did the mechanic not have enough time in the vehicle to hear the sound OR is this what the power steering in the Odyssey sounds like? I have started hearing the same sound in other cars as I am in local parking lots and every time I turn to look the car emitting the sound is some old rust bucket haha.

Anyone else notice this in your Odyssey? I have done lots of googling and looking through the forum and can only find info for PS issues prior to replacing the pump. I am confused as to why we are having the issue after replacing the pump. Thanks!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Pumps wine for various reasons, mostly are a result of AIR in the sysyem. Air is in the system from either being low or when parts are changed and will usually settle down after 3-5 days of driving and 160km or 100m.

Air in the system is more pronounced at slow speeds when pressures are higher

I'd recommend full Synthetic fluid as its properties help with strg wine issues no matter the Brand.

If not satisfied take the service manager for a ride to hear it while your driving

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you akesj1! The pump was replaced about a month ago. So any air would be out by now right? Driving around this evening, it occurred to me that the noise happens not as I turn, but as I come out of the turn during acceleration. So, now I am thinking maybe its a totally separate issue. Joy....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am stumped. I have been searching the forum for about 3 hours and watching Youtube videos with car sounds to try and identify the sound. It is not as high pitched as power steering, but definitely a whirring like the power steering. It is not a metallic sound- which could be pinging right? If there is any knocking its faint or muffled (maybe more like a putter) and accompanied by the whirring that I mistook for a power steering sound. I hear it the most when I am pulling up hill to the garage door and accelerating slowly towards the door as it opens. (I thought it was a steering problem since I need to make a tight left into the driveway to get into the left side of the garage.

·
Registered
286 Posts
hhncy,

You need to bring the van back and you recreate the whining noise
with the tech (or service advisor) sitting on the passenger seat.
If the tech could hear the noise, then he would find a way to fix it.

My 1999 Accord had a PS pump rebuilt with new rubber seals.
Afterward, I noticed PS pump made loud whining noise at low speed.
The shop owner told me not to worry, just drive car around to purge air from the system.
Next day, PS pump still whined so I brought it back and the tech disassembled the pump.
Lo and behold, the tech found one of the part was installed backward inside the pump.
One month later, PS pump is still quiet and leak seems to be gone.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Does it sound like pinging, like small particles rattling when you accelerate but unlike pinging it doesnt increase with acceleration or load? Just curious. And can you gauge what area its coming from?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was having the same problem with my 06 Odyssey. I looked at older posts in Ody Club and someone mentioned replacing the ps reservoir. My husband and replaced it ourselves. It only cost $43.00 for parts. It is running a lot quieter now.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Ok

Sounds like NOT P/S wine and the tech that drove your van was listining to the P/S and found it to be normal but probable never heard your concern

I Phone and make a video , you can still get a few instances on when it occures and take the service manager for a ride

·
Registered
302 Posts
ok here is your problem. I had the same problem last week. I fixed my problem. Cost me $20. I thought it was PS pump but this was the solution.

TSB 07-005 Power Steering Pump Whines, Buzzes, or Hums
Applies To: 2005–07 Odyssey – ALL
2008 Odyssey – From VIN 5FNRL38..8B000001 thru 5FNRL38..8B075356
2008 Odyssey – From VIN 5FNRL38..8B400001 thru 5FNRL38..8B419525
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/A07-005.PDF

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Check your invoice from dealer repair: did the dealer replace the PS Reservoir ($12 at dealer).

My problem was the same: noisy steering, but steering effort OK.
Replaced PS Reservoir, noise gone.

As a matter of fact, the Honda TSB mentioned that at the minimum, replace the PS Reservoir, if noise goes away then OK.
If steering effort is still hard, then replace the PS Pump.

I posted some info on PS Reservoir recently. A partially blocked PS Reservoir will create noise.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Yep, I know our 2008 LX had intermittent but severe PS whine and binding (super stiff wheel) from about 3000mi, 'till I finally took it to the dealer about a year or so later.

They replaced the PSF reservoir and suction hose. This completely eliminated the noise, but parking lot maneuvering is still like trying to park a 1962 Chevy Belair with no power steering and a 3 on the tree.

Dealer cannot reproduce of course. :(

Joel

·
Registered
286 Posts
You can check this.
If the PSF reservoir has a white dot on top, then it is the improved unit.
The TSB says if the reservoir has 3 ribs, it is the improved unit.

·
Registered
613 Posts
FYI - under dirkdaddy2 on youtube I have a video of a noise I thought was power steering. But mine had no difference with steering position. Mine turned out to be a groaning AC clutch bearing. Pls post results. If you have the new tank and enough fluid that's odd.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts