Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have noticed that the outside temp (on my dash) is intermittent. sometimes its accurate and sometimes not. I ran a diagnostic (four times in a row) on my AC and I (about half the time) was getting the code for an open in the outside air temp sensor circuit. The sensor is about 40.00-50.00 OEM. Not terribly expensive.
Just where it is located makes it (as far as I can see) difficult to get to (and remove).

How often do these sensors go bad?
Is there a simple way ("mechanics trick"). to get to and remove the sensor? Just dont want to have to remove the whole darn front bumper just to unplug and re plug (a new sensor).

Thanks for taking the time.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
FWIW, it’s very easy to remove the front bumper cover. Just buy some new fasteners for about $10.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,301 Posts
FWIW, it’s very easy to remove the front bumper cover. Just buy some new fasteners for about $10.
Well this also depends on one's ability to lift the vehicle. It looks like it can be done without lifting, but I'm sure it's a lot easier if you can lift it up, even just a little bit.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Check mins 2:33 it's actually the moment I start to show how to remove the front bumper.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Well this also depends on one's ability to lift the vehicle. It looks like it can be done without lifting, but I'm sure it's a lot easier if you can lift it up, even just a little bit.
??
No need to lift the vehicle.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
does this sensor effect how the AC works in manual mode? I understand the sensor effects the AC in AUTO mode. Just that (like I have stated several times) my van has over 250k on the OD and I dont want to soend any more $$ than I have to at this point. I plan on upgrading (to a newer van) after this summer.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,301 Posts
??
No need to lift the vehicle.
As I said, it's not necessary. Just makes removing some of the bottom clips easier. So a response to how easy it is would depend on that ability, as it changes the difficulty level a bit.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
As I said, it's not necessary. Just makes removing some of the bottom clips easier. So a response to how easy it is would depend on that ability, as it changes the difficulty level a bit.
Correct, lift is not necessary but recommended.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
does this sensor effect how the AC works in manual mode? I understand the sensor effects the AC in AUTO mode. Just that (like I have stated several times) my van has over 250k on the OD and I dont want to soend any more $$ than I have to at this point. I plan on upgrading (to a newer van) after this summer.
I believe the sensor that deal with the AC on auto is the one on the dashboard.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Why would they put it behind the bumper? Does it REALLY need that much protection? Seems it'd be easier to get to if it wasn't behind there either. Be nice if you could just pull the bumper cover off and get to it that way. Behind the actual bumper just seems silly.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I believe the sensor that deal with the AC on auto is the one on the dashboard.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If I do NOT use auto setting for AC, will the outside air temp sensor still effect the AC operation, or is that just when AC in auto mode?

I will also ask this on the thread for the AC problems thread that I started. Just that (as I have stated before), have 250k on the OD. I really don't want to spend any more $$ than I have to.

Plan on upgrading end of summer/mid fall.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts