Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Elite with 35k miles. I usually go to a Japanese mechanic who is so conservative, that they don't recommend a brake fluid change at this time. Was at the Honda dealership last week to repair a loose cable on the automatic sliding door, and they said I need a brake fluid change and a power steering fluid change, both $150 each, total is $300 or more. I had a 2001 Acura CL-S and I never changed the power steering fluid on that thing - I sold that car at 198k miles and 16 years old.

Maybe just ahead and change both fluids since the van obviously gets more wear and tear than my Acura?

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Dealerships say that kind of BS anytime you go in, even if the car is a year old with low miles. I hear that sh1t everytime I am at the dealer getting parts, I’m not exaggerating. The service and parts department are right next to each other and I hear their conversations loud and clear.

Brake fluid should be changed every 3 years, you should change it now.

PS fluid rarely needs changing. What you can do is suck out as much fluid you can from the reservoir and just fill it back up with honda PS fluid.

$300 is outrageous. What they will do is suck out fluid then top if off, both for the PS and brake fluid, then charge you $300 when you can do it for dirt cheap yourself like this:

·
Registered
662 Posts
Yep. 2001. I do the "turkey baster", trick, for the power steering. Every "many" years, I will buy 4/5 honda bottles. And
over a few weeks, done. Realize there are other methods. For me this is simple and seems to work.
ON 2nd power steering pump. But original rack. 215,000 miles.

Brakes fluid maintenance. Another issue.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
1,840 Posts
As was mentioned above, the brake fluid is not a silly upsell, as much as it sounds like one. I had ours done at the dealership because the van was going in there anyway to get a new key programmed and I didn't have time to mess around with it before taking the family on holidays with the van but the link @MrRangerZr1 provided is very good if you are inclined to DIY.

As for the power steering fluid, it should be changed as well but there is no good reason to ever pay a shop to do it - doing it DIY is cheap and fast and easy. Check out this thread:

The actual post quoted is me describing how to do the power steering using the no engine start method from @John Clark, but there are a few more details in the rest of the thread that may help make the job easier.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Dealerships say that kind of BS anytime you go in, even if the car is a year old with low miles. I hear that sh1t everytime I am at the dealer getting parts, I’m not exaggerating. The service and parts department are right next to each other and I hear their conversations loud and clear.

Brake fluid should be changed every 3 years, you should change it now.

PS fluid rarely needs changing. What you can do is suck out as much fluid you can from the reservoir and just fill it back up with honda PS fluid.

$300 is outrageous. What they will do is suck out fluid then top if off, both for the PS and brake fluid, then charge you $300 when you can do it for dirt cheap yourself like this:
assuming you do the power steering procees
As was mentioned above, the brake fluid is not a silly upsell, as much as it sounds like one. I had ours done at the dealership because the van was going in there anyway to get a new key programmed and I didn't have time to mess around with it before taking the family on holidays with the van but the link @MrRangerZr1 provided is very good if you are inclined to DIY.

As for the power steering fluid, it should be changed as well but there is no good reason to ever pay a shop to do it - doing it DIY is cheap and fast and easy. Check out this thread:

The actual post quoted is me describing how to do the power steering using the no engine start method from @John Clark, but there are a few more details in the rest of the thread that may help make the job easier.
For the power steering, I have done the syringe method, and the turkey baster method, remove old oil, add new, run engine... rinse and repeat till clear..
Have also done removing the return line from the reservoir method, then run the car and keep adding till clear, kind of hectic and is ideally a 2 person job!

Have also used ATF fluid on tired old leaky racks and ps pumps, with some success.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Have also used ATF fluid on tired old leaky racks and ps pumps, with some success.
Agree on the power steering fluid change, just suck out resevoir how ever you prefer, refill, start engine, turn steering wheel lock to lock a few times, shut off, repeat 3 times.

I have had good results with Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak both for leaky seals (small leaks) and noisy pumps. Stops the rack seals leaks and quiets the pump somewhat. Good for older vehicles where steering rack replacement is costly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This Mityvac has paid for it's self may times over!
Do you use for brake bleeding? Which model number do you have? I thought about getting one but was confused which model works well for brake bleeding. Saw some contradictory reviews. Thanks

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I use the MityVac for sucking out reservoirs. I found unless I had it on really tight It sucked in air causing bubbles.... hard to know if it was coming out of the brake line or the Mityvac.
I'm using a $10.00 one way brake bleeder on the Honda. I have a "pump up" Motive power bleeder but not a cap to use on the Honda. I use the Motive on another car.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Looks heavy duty!

I ordered the suggestion on @MrRangerZr1 youtube channel.
I hope he has an amazon affiliate account for all his efforts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2016 Elite with 35k miles. I usually go to a Japanese mechanic who is so conservative, that they don't recommend a brake fluid change at this time. Was at the Honda dealership last week to repair a loose cable on the automatic sliding door, and they said I need a brake fluid change and a power steering fluid change, both $150 each, total is $300 or more. I had a 2001 Acura CL-S and I never changed the power steering fluid on that thing - I sold that car at 198k miles and 16 years old.

Maybe just ahead and change both fluids since the van obviously gets more wear and tear than my Acura?
Over 50 years of driving GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, Nissan, Honda.......never once even considered changing
power steering or brake fluids with zero related problems.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
450 Posts
Over 50 years of driving GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, Nissan, Honda.......never once even considered changing
You've never replaced a brake caliper/wheel cylinder, master cylinder, PS pump or steering rack? Those are all affected by the fluid inside... And all of them last longer when the fluid is fresh and clean.

-Charlie

·
Registered
8 Posts

I am on my 3rd Odyssey. I have never changed brake or power steering fluid and have not had any issues. My first Odyssey EX (2003) had over 300,000 miles on it; my second one, a Touring (2009) had over 300,000 miles and my current 2013 Elite has 200,000 miles.

I also do not change my trans fluid either. I did on the 2003 and the trans went out within 6 mos of the change. I learned that new fluid cleans the clutches and if they are worn will kill them. However, the old fluid (which may be dirty) does not have this effect and the fluid never looses it's ability to lubricate. The 2009 and he current one have never had the fluid changed.

Having said these things, brake fluid can become contaminated with moisture. If that happens the it lowers the boiling point of the fluid and that can lead to brake problems or failure. Be careful.

I hope this helps you

Mike
Deucecoupe

·
Registered
63 Posts
Doesn’t anyone notice an improvement in the feel of the shifting after doing the 4 qt drain and fill? What convinced me was I got a bad judder on shifting on my 05 at about 130k miles. I was told it was torque converter and or engine mounts each over $1,000 to fix. A friend on the parts dept advised me to try 3x drain and fill (run and mix between each drain). So, $120 of fluid saved me over 2k? Judder completely gone. Next oil change I thought I would dump again because during the 3x I saw su much sludge on the magnetic trans. Oil plug. Sure enough, there was more stuff on it but way less than orig. I read here that it was cheap insurance to drain and fill every 8k. Car has 210k now with same old engine mounts and torque converter. No judder I bought OEM active engine mount online for $3xx.00 . And parts friend said that it was not counterfeit and exactly the same as the $800 one they sold. I also have two new Honda shift pressure sensors that are easy to get to and change that an expert told me are overdue for changing and instructions to clean a dirty shift actuator nearby, as well as a large cartridge oil filter for the transmission that no one seems to know about. It’s located on top of the transmission under the battery box. You have to loosen a brake line junction rack and remove some air intake parts to get to 2 bolts for the cartridge. I was told by this transmission expert that these maintenance items could keep the tranny healthy for a long time, especially keeping the oil clean. He said that starting in 2005 the transmission, it’s bearings and clutches were way overbuilt. Good news?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Curious how long have you owned/kept your vehicles?
Do you send the problem along to the next fellow?
Fluid changes are for the long haul..

The difference between leasers and owners, and those who buy new and dump every 3-5 years.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I am on my 3rd Odyssey. I have never changed brake or power steering fluid and have not had any issues. My first Odyssey EX (2003) had over 300,000 miles on it; my second one, a Touring (2009) had over 300,000 miles and my current 2013 Elite has 200,000 miles.

I also do not change my trans fluid either. I did on the 2003 and the trans went out within 6 mos of the change. I learned that new fluid cleans the clutches and if they are worn will kill them. However, the old fluid (which may be dirty) does not have this effect and the fluid never looses it's ability to lubricate. The 2009 and he current one have never had the fluid changed.

Having said these things, brake fluid can become contaminated with moisture. If that happens the it lowers the boiling point of the fluid and that can lead to brake problems or failure. Be careful.

I hope this helps you

Mike
Deucecoupe
Buy a lotto ticket. NOW.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Those who never changed any fluids probably never went over 3k RPMs in their van :LOL:

Changing fluids like brake fluid and ATF DOES improve things. You will definitely get better braking performance by changing the fluid (assuming you bleed them thoroughly and properly) and get better shifts with clean ATF. Lot of people reported that the shuddering of the trans decreased after changing the ATF. Same thing with PS fluid, steering response/feel will be improved.

Oil and coolant you won't feel any difference but your engine will thank you very much.

·
Registered
63 Posts

Use a turkey baster to remove power steering fluid yourself. Replace with only a Honda Fluid. I changed ours every 10k miles. Had 205k on our 05 when I sold it. Also replaced 3 1/2 quarts of trans fluid every 10k miles. Still had original trans. Brake fluid I Bleed fluid into a pan at each caliper at every 50k miles. Don’t let the master run empty!
good luck!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Y
you must be very lucky! Brake fluid turns to mud when very old. Transmissions won’t usually last past 125k if not serviced. Fluid is cheap! Parts like transmissions and power steering racks and pumps are not. Also ABS pumps are very expensive! Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Fluid is cheap! Parts like transmissions and power steering racks and pumps are not. Also ABS pumps are very expensive!
Exactly! I always tell people that.

"Oil is cheap but motors/trans are expensive"

1 - 20 of 35 Posts