Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Needed or not, I sleep better when I do it. I travel cross country twice a year in a 235K+, 8 year old vehicle and don't think twice about it. The 6 spd transmission never misses in mountain passes even pulling a 900lb+ motorcycle.

·
Registered
2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L
8 Posts
Brake fluid should be changed every few years. Transmission fluid I'd change at least every 60-80K, but if you're a real fanatic do it every 30K. Just don't let it get as black as night. It should be a nice red color.
As for power steering fluid, I judge it on color and if there is particulate in it. If it's brown or your pump is making a whining noise, change it. A lot of people replace what's in the reservoir per oil change or two, but I think this is a bit excessive.
My Odyssey was neglected by the previous owner, and the fluids were never changed. Transmission fluid was extremely dark; changing it made the transmission shift so much better and allowed it to run cooler. Wasn't so fortunate with the power steering though, the pump was very loud and died a while later, and the fluid that came out was evil. Very dark brown with lots of particulate. Lots of grit washed out of the reservoir as well, I was extremely lucky the system didn't start leaking from abrasive fluid.

Remember, oil is cheap, parts are expensive, and there's no such thing as lifetime fluids.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
My Odyssey was neglected by the previous owner, and the fluids were never changed. Transmission fluid was extremely dark; changing it made the transmission shift so much better and allowed it to run cooler
How many miles did it have at the time?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Brake fluid starts to absorb moisture the minute you open a new can, and it continues to absorb moisture while in your system!!!

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
I believe it was around 170K. I'm very lucky the transmission didn't quit on me.
Wow! I'm in a similar boat with a 2006 EX-L. So far did 3-4 drain and fills and the ATF is still coming out brown.
2007-2010 trans are pretty strong.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Wow! I'm in a similar boat with a 2006 EX-L. So far did 3-4 drain and fills and the ATF is still coming out brown.
2007-2010 trans are pretty strong.
That made up for the 1999-2004 models!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Curious how long have you owned/kept your vehicles?
Do you send the problem along to the next fellow?
Fluid changes are for the long haul..

The difference between leasers and owners, and those who buy new and dump every 3-5 years.
Prior to buying my first Honda product which was an Odyssey, I drove Toyota Sienna for 11 years; in addition have
two long time career professional mechanics in my extended family......no where do I find evidence / experience / factory
documentation that overly excessive fluid changes are of any value.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Prior to buying my first Honda product which was an Odyssey, I drove Toyota Sienna for 11 years; in addition have
two long time career professional mechanics in my extended family......no where do I find evidence / experience / factory

There is plenty of data that shows changing fluid too often is actually harder on the motor, etc. Bob is the oil guy (website) has UOA's showing changing too soon increases wear. The additive packages are designed to activate after certain amounts of time. By changing it sooner, they never activate and you will experience increased wear. This is using a quality oil of course. If you're using garbage, there is no telling.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I also have automotive technicians in the family...
results and stories vary.

yoyotas are good quality vehicles and come at a premium, like hondas.

its possible you can abuse them more than the average car, but why, to save a few bux?
that's a whole new level of frugal in my book.
pay now vs pay later...

personally I will go with somewhere in between what the manufacturers recommend, field experience and common sense.

engine oil 2x a year (synthetic), trans fluid drain and fill annually, power steering and brake fluid, coolant every 3-5 years...depending on mileage.

If you add up the costs of all those fluids, its negligible vs major component replacement.

finding it ridiculous that this even has to be debated.

·
Registered
13,865 Posts
Oh man are there a lot of good ol' boys using old dads tales as mechanical advise in this thread.
Changing the trans fluid every 30K (normal drain & fill) is not obsessive, it is the factory recommended interval. If you want to be obsessive, the every 15K or every other oil change might be obsessive. (Unless you had/have one of those 1999-2004 Odysseys, then it was essential!)
A three year, regardless of miles interval for brake fluid replacement has been the norm since ABS was introduced. My first vehicle that called for that was a 1982 Mazda truck. Hardly a new thing. Now that ABS controller does the vehicle stability as well. They just keep getting more expensive to replace.
It is a really good idea to wait until the initial fill of engine oil on a brand new Honda be left in to at least 15%. There are chemicals in that oil that need to be in there that long. Then you can and should use the oil life to time oil changes. It's real and much better for the environment to use the chemical friction liquid to it's fullest. (There isn't much oil in engine oil anymore) Waiting to 15% has another positive, that's when the maintenance minder sets codes for other services, like that trans fluid you have been neglecting...
For some reason Honda does not have an interval for the power steering fluid. Those of us with old Odysseys just keep putting it in as it leaks out of a worn, expensive and difficult to replace steering racks. So maybe regular changes there are warranted. My wife's newer Acura RDX has electric power steering. No belt. No fluid? I don't even know. I guess I better find out...

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
1,840 Posts
My wife's newer Acura RDX has electric power steering. No belt. No fluid? I don't even know. I guess I better find out...
Nope, no fluid. Our 2011 Hyundai Elantra has electric power steering and it is completely zero maintenance - no fluid, no pumps, no belts. And (touch wood) it has been absolutely trouble free since day one.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
450 Posts
no where do I find evidence / experience / factory
Other than shortening the trans fluid drain/fill interval, nobody here is really suggesting anything above the factory intervals? Many started the shorter drain/fill cycles when they experience shifting issues - and the shorter interval fixed the shifting problems.

There is plenty of evidence that 7500 mile oil changes are perfectly reasonable with modern oils - no argument there.
3 years is the factory replacement schedule for brake fluid on almost every vehicle out there

On the power steering fluid, the factory recommendation is to inspect the condition of all the fluids every other oil change (B service). When it changes color (which is does way quicker than I have seen for other PS systems), it is time for a change. Guess what? That's about every 30k miles. The PS will also quiet down when that is done...

I'm finding more and more that Honda does not equal Toyota when it comes to maintenance requirements... At least parts are cheap!

-Charlie

PS. All this reminds me that I'm behind on my brake fluid replacement! :whistle:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Dealerships say that kind of BS anytime you go in, even if the car is a year old with low miles. I hear that sh1t everytime I am at the dealer getting parts, I’m not exaggerating. The service and parts department are right next to each other and I hear their conversations loud and clear.

Brake fluid should be changed every 3 years, you should change it now.

PS fluid rarely needs changing. What you can do is suck out as much fluid you can from the reservoir and just fill it back up with honda PS fluid.

$300 is outrageous. What they will do is suck out fluid then top if off, both for the PS and brake fluid, then charge you $300 when you can do it for dirt cheap yourself like this:
A brake fluid change is more than suck out the top and replace. You need to suck out the top and then bleed the entire brake system otherwise old fluid loaded with water will stay in the brake lines and caliper. That will cause the same problems as if you didn't flush the fluid out. $150 for a proper brake fluid change is not out of line

·
Registered
243 Posts
Other than shortening the trans fluid drain/fill interval, nobody here is really suggesting anything above the factory intervals? Many started the shorter drain/fill cycles when they experience shifting issues - and the shorter interval fixed the shifting problems.

There is plenty of evidence that 7500 mile oil changes are perfectly reasonable with modern oils - no argument there.
3 years is the factory replacement schedule for brake fluid on almost every vehicle out there

On the power steering fluid, the factory recommendation is to inspect the condition of all the fluids every other oil change (B service). When it changes color (which is does way quicker than I have seen for other PS systems), it is time for a change. Guess what? That's about every 30k miles. The PS will also quiet down when that is done...

I'm finding more and more that Honda does not equal Toyota when it comes to maintenance requirements... At least parts are cheap!

-Charlie

PS. All this reminds me that I'm behind on my brake fluid replacement! :whistle:
I'm finding more and more that Honda does not equal Toyota
Wont disagree with you there about Toyota quality.
We just retired a 1997 corolla, replaced it with the 2015 civic (wife's car).
The thing just wouldn't die, but was getting long in the tooth.

Around in my parts we call them yoyotas. soulless gutless cars that feel like you're riding on a sofa.

at the front of most line of cars on the highway holding up traffic, its a camry corolla rav4 priius or sienna!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts