Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dumb mistake - I know better - but I was adding oil from a 5 quart jug and poured too much (instead of adding a little at a time and re-checking). Might be a quart over. How bad is this if I don't drain some off?

·
Registered
408 Posts
I usually put in the whole 5 quarts in my 7th gen Accord and 3rd gen Odyssey. They both burn a small amount of oil over time and the 1/2 quart extra doesn't really hurt either. From others on the 3rd gen forum, I've seen that they've also done the same

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Same here. I put in the full 5 qts in both of my Odysseys ('99 and '11). Still have not blown anything up. Other than being easier, one benefit of this is that I generally don't ever need to add oil between changes.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I don't generally use the entire 5 qt container, but this last oil change it happened. You should only be 1/2 a qt over, so I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
I had the oil changed at the dealer for most of my 02 Odys life. It always came at least 1/2 qt over the top mark on the dipstick.

·
Registered
15 Posts
[QUOTE = "egads, post: 2352786, member: 4669"]
У меня была замена масла у дилера на протяжении большей части моей жизни 02 Odys. Это всегда было по крайней мере на 1/2 кварты выше верхней отметки на щупе.
[/ QUOTE]

много масла не может быть выжато через сальники, луч не добавляет 100 грамм

·
Registered
438 Posts
Russian text omitted
[/ QUOTE]

Bitte posten Sie hier in Englisch. Die meisten hier verstehen kein Russisch! :giggle:
You translate the quotes to Russian, and post in Russian. Very few forum members here understand Russian! Please post in English. Spasibo!

·
Registered
230 Posts
[/QUOTE]

Translates to - " a lot of oil cannot be squeezed out through oil seals; the beam does not add 100 grams"

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying? ( Я не уверен, что понимаю )

ағылшынша сөйлеңіз және біздің форумға қош келдіңіз
пожалуйста, говорите по-английски и добро пожаловать на наш форум

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
[QUOTE = "egads, post: 2352786, member: 4669"]
У меня была замена масла у дилера на протяжении большей части моей жизни 02 Odys. Это всегда было по крайней мере на 1/2 кварты выше верхней отметки на щупе.
[/ QUOTE]

Is that you, Hillary?

·
Registered
250 Posts
oldshewel - LOLOLOL!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Overfilling can increase resistance to the crankshaft turning and also contribute to foaming of the oil, which may cause air instead of oil to be circulated. This air would not contribute to lubrication of engine parts and increased friction.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If it's massively overfilled, yes. 1/2 quart is good to go. I always put a 5 quart jug in both the Oddy and my TL (J32A2). After a couple thousand miles they are spot on the top mark. If you check immediately after filling, it may look worse than it really is because after starting it the first time the oil filter will eat some of that up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I put in all 5 quarts this past change back in May. Doing well so far, nothing seems angry at me. I may be a little on the low side right now, since I did slightly undertorque the plug at first. I'm running 5w-20 Synthetic High Mileage oil right now.

·
Registered
201 Posts
This is one of those things we will never know about until it's too late, which could take years to discover. But I agree - a half quart over (10%) isn't likely to cause any long-term problems, and I sometimes do it because there is only a little left in the jug. If I overfill my lawnmower, it will smoke clouds when going around corners in one direction on a tilt, so that is how I know I have overfilled it. So far, this hasn't happened with my cars.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
One half qt over will not cause that, but more could. 1/8 -1/4" over the full mark should cause no problem, when properly measured on the level.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
9 Posts
y'know, he said he was "...adding oil from a 5 quart jug and poured too much." He didn't say he was changing his oil. It could be that he was just a bit low and went to add enough to get it to show as full (½ quart?) and over did it. If this what he did I'd like to know how high on the dipstick it shows. He should definitively drain some if it out. To much oil causes it to foam / aerate too much and not lubricate as it should.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts