Honda Odyssey Forum banner

overheating issue

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  begoniafrone 
#1 ·
my 96 ody is overheating.
I replaced the temp sensor and the thermostat.
had the timing belt and water pump done as well.

the thermostat is working, eventually the lower hose heats up.

both fans come on when the ac is turned on, when I turn the car off the cooling fan kicks on, it runs then turns off then runs kind of wierd but seems to be working.

when I drive, the fan never kicks on. I'll drive 20 miles on the highway, then stop and the temp will begin to climb. I get out to look at the fan and it's not moving. if I turn the car off it will start.

when I sit in a drive through the temp begins to climb... if I rev the engine it will bring the temp down.

#3 ·
That kind of sounds like a stuck closed thermostat. You might try switching out your new thermostat for another one and see if that helps.

#4 ·
jumped the cooling fan switch on the thermostat housing and the fan came on. So I replaced it and now both fans will come on after the temp starts climbing.

I guess I will swap this thermostat with a more expensive one... then try bleeding the system.

Seems ok until I sit idle with the ac on.. I was able to run it up to boiling out of the overflow.

ALSO I have only water in the system at this point I am trying to do a cleaning... maybe this is having an effect as well.

#6 ·
ok... so cooling fan sensor ran the fan for about 1 day, now overheating again. fan stopped working while running van.

I am holding coolant well.

I jumped the fan sensor and it continues to be an overheating issue.
today I rotated the thermostat so the breather hole is up.. oops

So I swapped the sensor with one from the salvage yard, still no fan. brand new sensor had same symptom. Jumping the switch runs both fans. turning off the car runs both fans. the ac on runs both fans. while runing, the temp will reach 3/4 and still no fan.. UGHHH

I'd at least like to see the fan kick on when it gets hot.

what else can control the fan... I assume the relay is working since the fan kicks on when you turn the van off.. ANOTHER COOLING FAN SENSOR??? FROM DEALER OR SOMETHING?... I'm getting frustrated!

I really don't want to take it into a shop.

I understand I'm running just water in the system, "not recomended" I just want to feel like once I dump the anti freeze in It's not a waste.

#7 ·
cfhcar said:
having just water in system is not recommend. anti-freeze raises boiling point of coolant
Using only distilled water improves cooling and temperatures stay lower. It is only not recommended because of a high freezing point. You will find anyone on a spec miata circuit only runs water. You can totally use water just ENSURE you add Glycol when winter comes around.

#9 ·
update: removed thermostat and left fan switch jumped... this bypassed all overheating issues and helped prevent further head damage.

unfortunately the head is the culprit.. took to mechanic and found leak in cylinder.

my symptoms of blown head gasket...
using lots of coolant
keeps overheating after various parts replaced
a little white smoke at start up..

mechanic ran pressure test and failed drastically

I'm glad I used water over the summer and spent less on antifreeze.. I think I may have prolonged the head by removing the thermostat and jumping the fan switch.. although the temp barely moves.

now for the repair.. A guy is pulling the head for $100 and then the machine shop will look it over and test it for $30
then we'll see where were at.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.