Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I have an 09 EX and it’s starting to overheat. I noticed this because it just got cool and I stopped using the AC. So when the van is running, neither of the fans come on at all. If I turn the AC on full blast, both fans come on and cool the engine back down. When I turn the van off the fans kick on to cool the engine down. I’ve flipped all the relays with no change. Any ideas? I have read some of the old threads and haven’t really found my issue.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I’d be interested to see what you find out. The fans seem to be a weak point on the Odyssey to me. We recently had them both replaced on our 2014 EX-L. The AC was cycling on and off and the dealer told us that one fan had failed and the AC safety feature was cutting it off every time it got too hot. I guess they are typically replaced in pairs and they recommended we have both done because the other one had been carrying extra load with one inoperable. The engine wasn’t quite getting to the point of overheating but I guess the coolant was running hot enough to make the AC unhappy. ?‍♂

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My fans are actually working, but they only come on when the AC is turned on or when the van is shut off to cool the engine down. I’m assuming the temperature sensor is working since I can see the temperature going up and down. And I flipped the AC and the coolant relays. I don’t know very much about all these electronic controlled systems. The radiator is full, I had to refill it, it isn’t taking fluid from the Reservoir.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I’m sorry I don’t have any knowledge on it either. Will be watching in case mine ever act up again. Hope you get a solution soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Currently I’m attempting to get to the fan switch, but it’s not easy to get to from what I can see. It looks like it’s on the thermostat housing on the back side.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
If you turn off climate control system then the main engine fan runs much less. I noticed this with my VCMuzzler as sitting in traffic the engine temp gets much warmer to the point the VCM turns on. Just leave it on Auto and that will keep the fans active

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Ok. I have an 09 EX and it’s starting to overheat. I noticed this because it just got cool and I stopped using the AC. So when the van is running, neither of the fans come on at all. If I turn the AC on full blast, both fans come on and cool the engine back down. When I turn the van off the fans kick on to cool the engine down. I’ve flipped all the relays with no change. Any ideas? I have read some of the old threads and haven’t really found my issue.
When you mean overheat, does the gauge start climbing near H?
The fans will operate at certain coolant temperatures when the A/C is off. Sometimes it might take mins.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When you mean overheat, does the gauge start climbing near H?
The fans will operate at certain coolant temperatures when the A/C is off. Sometimes it might take mins.
I mean the needle gets close the the H and the pressure gets high enoigh that the radiator starts to dump anti freeze and smoking. Overheat.

·
Registered
192 Posts
If you turn off climate control system then the main engine fan runs much less. I noticed this with my VCMuzzler as sitting in traffic the engine temp gets much warmer to the point the VCM turns on. Just leave it on Auto and that will keep the fans active
My 06 Maxmuzzled EXL does this exact same thing ( only in town in slow traffic-like yours ). I noticed this only happens when the AC and heater are off. I have been wondering about a fix but came up with the same one as you-engage the heat or AC.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I always leave it on AUTO. But it was 39 the other night and I was waiting at a railroad track and noticed it smoking. Now I notice that it’s spraying antifreeze when it gets somewhere around 220. And the fans never come on unless I turn the ac on LO.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Had a very similar issue with our ‘07, not muzzled. I know you said you swapped the relays, and I did the same thing to no change. I replaced the radiator cap and thermostat to no effect. Then for the heck of it I bought a new relay and that fixed it. Not sure why it didn’t show when I swapped it with the AC but a new one did the trick. There were two varieties, not sure what the actual difference is, but I bought the cheaper one and seems to be working fine. Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts