Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am having a problem with the p/s pump in my 01 Ody. For the past few days it has been whining most of the time, more when I turn the wheel. Today though it was whining all the way to work, however on the way home, it was silent.

After searching, I thought maybe the pulley bearing, but I woudnt expect it to stop whining if it where a bearing. I have turned the wheel to purge air from the system several days ago, but the whining persited. When I got home I had my son turn the wheel stop to stop as I looked at the res, just swirling fluid, no foam, aslo no whining.

Could it still be the pump?

Thanks

·
Registered
318 Posts
Check the power steering inlet hose-- it may just be a bad O-ring on the hose letting air into the PS pump. American Honda had a recall for several years' worth of Acura TL sedans for a similar problem.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Completely flushed the fluid, cleaned the reservoir, changed both pressure and suction o-rings. Seems quiet a day later.

A few observations...

The screen in the reservoir is at the very bottom and is a fine cloth type screen. I have seen people mention it is halfway down and it would obstruct a "tuykey baster" or suction tube from getting most of the fluid out, not so, I could have gotten about 95% of the fluid in the reservoir out.

The suction o-ring is an orange color instead of black, dont know if it is an updated ring since many have said there were problems with them.

After flushing and refilling with Honda PS fluid, I was still getting noise and fine foam in the reservoir. I think the trick was to have patience and let the air bleed itself from the system. Someone mentioned it could take couple of days.

Even by turning stop to stop, unless you allow the fluid to sit and the air bubbles to escape, you are just pumping foamy fluid and creating noise. I have seen someone mention Lubegard for the P/S eliminates foaming, I tried NAPA for it but they were out. Maybe I'm better off since the noise stopped. All in all, $20 for 4 bottles of fluid and 2 orings, everything seems to have worked out well.

Now I just need to wait for my front motor mount to come...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts