Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ve searched this board and the internet and I m not getting alot of info on a "air/fuel sensor". Is it a O2 sensor? Can you clean it? Should it fail at 47k miles? Its an emission part would it be under warranty? And the last question, WHERE IS IT?? Pics would be great.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Don't have the 05+ book but from a google search it appears to be the bank 2 primary O2 senser heater that is bad.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply but they are telling me its the 'mass air/fuel sensor' not the 02 sensor. I fold it and bought some cleaner, doing that now, hopefully that fixes it.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Who is telling you it is the mass airflow senser? As I said I only have the 99-04 book and that series does not have a p0154. In a google search on Honda Odyssey p0154 code I get hits on the O2 senser. I see several posts where they suggest to clean it with no indication it is bad. Some people are living in the past where they just throw parts until it is fixed if ever. Check the heater circuit as the code indicates. Also look at the cable harness for the O2 senser closely as rodents like to chew on Odyssey cables. The mechanic with an OBDII scanner can look at the current and voltage on the heater circuit and determine if it is bad.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Honda uses Mass airflow sensor? I thought they only use manifold absolute pressure sensor. The code is probably indicating primary O2 going bad which is before the cat. If your car drives fine but still throw this code, then it can be a faulty secondary O2 sensor.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes honda uses an air fuel/sensor.

They pulled the code at Autozone. Heres the description:

A/F sensor 21 heater system malfunction.
Probable cause:
-Open or short circuit condition
-Poor electrical connection
-Faulty A/F sensor

Cleaning the sensor didnt work. :( Money is kinda tight, I dont want to buy the A/F and then have to turn around and buy the 02 sensor.

Heres something else its doing, its not going into 'ECO' mode.

·
Registered
513 Posts
The 2007 manual shows a front Air fuel ratio (A/F) sensor, bank 2 sensor 1. That could match "A/F sensor 21". It is part of the catalytic converter system.

Screen shot below.

Nicolas

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply, they are telling me its the one on top of the air box.

SO, can I buy one at autozone or do i have to go to the dealer?

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Stop playing games with terminology and you might understand it better. Air/ Fuel senser is an O2 senser. A/F is Ait/Fuel Not air flow. The code is for the heater circuit on the O2 senser. Either the voltage or the current is out of specs. As I said it can be checked on an OBDII scanner, not a reader that only reads codes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not trying to play with terms or words. And I was never disagreeing with you about it being an 02 sensor. I just know they were trying to sell me a part that I didnt think was right. If I thought they were right, I wouldve bought it.

Money is tight and if I can save money I need to. i dont have access to a OBDII scanner and the garage charges $50 to hook up to it. I cant find anything on the net or this forum to help either. You cant even search '02 sensor' on this forum bc its not enough letters in '02'.

Their computer doesnt call it a air fuel sensor, they call it an 02 sensor, there is a air/fuel sensor listed that goes on the air box. And dealing with auto parts people before, I know to do my own research.

I guess I m going to have to spend the $50 to get the right part.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Let us know how it turns out.

Nicolas

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Air Flow senser goes in the air box, Air Fuel senser goes in the exhaust. You could use a multimeter to check out the heater circuit of the failing senser.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had a P0154 on my 06 T with 94K mi. Thanks to nicomtl for verifying the sensor location, I replaced the top/front O2 sensor. (The sensor that could be reached from under the hood, just behind the radiator. )

Google search on other sites suggest to stick with a Denso or NTK O2 sensor, so I just bought it from the local Honda dealer. Could have saved a few bucks if I ordered online, but I didn't want to further induce a potential pre-mature cat failure. Which would burn a bigger hole in my pocket. It has only been 50 mi, but so far no P0154 related problems. I currently drive 300 mi a week and if I don't report back with problems, then the P0154 is gone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got this code Saturday P0154. Advance Parts checked it and it read; Oxygen Circuit No Activity Detected ( Bank 2 Sensor 1). He walked out to the van and pointed out the front top converter sensor.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well, not to bring a thread back from the dead, but this really seems to be on the right track for me.

I got this same code, went to 3 different parts stores and had them all tell me it was the rear upstream O2 sensor. So, $168 later I replaced it. Connections are good, wires look to be in good shape, and still getting the same code.

I went back to the auto store that typically is better than the others and was told I need to get 8-10 start cycles on the car to reset it.....

30 cycles later and 400 miles down the road, I still have the same problem.

So, am I correct in hearing that this is the front sensor, not the rear?

Sorry for the hesitation in the post, just trying to figure this out instead of going to the dealer or the local shop that both want $95 just to hook it up, and then $350 for the part as well....

Many thanks!
§

·
Registered
5 Posts
William is correct on this. The P0154 on a Honda Odyssey is an error indicating that the oxygen sensor in Bank 2 Sensor 1 needs to change. Luckily this is the easiest of the four sensors to change since it is right in front of you by the radiator when you open the hood. Denso part #234-5053 or NTK 24346. Don't buy from the dealer and pay extra, when I took the original part out of my Odyssey, the NTK 24346 is what came off.
Now as for the confusion whether this error has to do with Oxygen sensor or Mass Air Flow Sensor. There should be none. It is Oxygen Sensor Bank 2, Sensor 1. You will see this part referred to as an "A/F sensor." Do not be confused as the Autozone parts guys often are. A/F stands for Air/Fuel ratio sensor. It is the same thing as an oxygen sensor. For some reason Honda calls their pre-converter sensors A/F sensors, and post-converter sensors oxygen sensors. In any case, if you have the P0154 error, just change this part, and you are good to go. For a first time novice, it should take about 1 hour. (Tip : Much easier if you remove the plastic engine cover)For someone who know his way around the hood and tools, 15 minutes. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts