Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Engine light is on and OBD scanner reads P0420 on my 2013 Odyssey.
I first got this warning last December. I noticed the tear in the air intake hose and I replaced it. Then the warning light went away for about a month. When the light came back on after a month with same P0420, I deleted the code using a OBD scanner. I did not get the warning engine light until 4 month later. Again, I deleted the P0420 code with the scanner. And again, 4 month later which is now the light came back on again. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
5,447 Posts
VCM has probably wrecked your catalytic converter with all the oil being burnt. It clearly wrecked your motor mounts already based on the intake hose tear.

Disable VCM (see linked megathread), then replace the converter.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I first got this warning last December. I noticed the tear in the air intake hose and I replaced it. Then the warning light went away for about a month. When the light came back on after a month with same P0420, I deleted the code using a OBD scanner. I did not get the warning engine light until 4 month later. Again, I deleted the P0420 code with the scanner. And again, 4 month later which is now the light came back on again. Any ideas?
welcome to the forum...

unfortunately ignorance is not bliss with this generation of ody.

read up and save big, or trade it in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
VCM has probably wrecked your catalytic converter with all the oil being burnt. It clearly wrecked your motor mounts already based on the intake hose tear.

Disable VCM (see linked megathread), then replace the converter.
thanks for your input

·
Banned
279 Posts
Sometimes you can save the cat by using a cat cleanup product, i've done this before with success, sometimes not. if it's not vcm, other ideas are to clean all oxygen sensor connectors, on this car it costs a lot to replace all 4 oxy sensors, sometime you can logically figure out and replace just the downstream ones, google for other ideas. if you're not in an emissions insp. area the code doesnt matter except for possible future damage, carry on smiling, cheers, chin up!

·
Registered
2011 Odyssey LX, 136k miles
2,185 Posts
The fact that you can go 4 months before the code comes back is encouraging. If smog checking is a concern, you may be able to pass just with good timing. Need to wait until you have no codes, and all the readiness monitors are good.

P0420 code detection is notoriously indirect and possibly inaccurate, so some of the methods to "treat" the condition may work for you vs. failing for others.

Electrical or spacing (spark plug non-fouler) solutions might help.

P0420 is for bank 1 (the rear bank of your V6). P0430 is for bank2 (the front bank). Very often if there is a problem in your engine, both banks will eventually be affected.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The fact that you can go 4 months before the code comes back is encouraging. If smog checking is a concern, you may be able to pass just with good timing. Need to wait until you have no codes, and all the readiness monitors are good.

P0420 code detection is notoriously indirect and possibly inaccurate, so some of the methods to "treat" the condition may work for you vs. failing for others.

Electrical or spacing (spark plug non-fouler) solutions might help.

P0420 is for bank 1 (the rear bank of your V6). P0430 is for bank2 (the front bank). Very often if there is a problem in your engine, both banks will eventually be affected.
Thank you for the info. I'll try everything before replacing it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
AS stated above, this first thing to do is disable the VCM- I did this on my sister's 11 Odyssey that was starting to throw a misfire code every now and then, I'm sure the P0420 code would have been soon to follow but after installing the disabler, no problems at all + the van seems to ride and accelerate much more smoothly.
Now, the other part of my post here will have a lot of detractors- all I will say is that it worked for me once the P0420 code popped up on my 2005 Accord (same deal- it would come on for a bit and I would reset it, then it would come back on again a couple months later, implying that the cat was just getting to be on the threshold of dirty/clogged enough to trigger that code.) As another poster stated above, there are certain off the shelf chemical products you can buy to try to deal with this- BUT the product I used on my Accord that has seemingly solved the problem is lacquer thinner. Various YT videos on this trick- it won't harm anything in your fuel/ engine/ exhaust systems, and might clear the code if your cat is just on the edge of being below efficiency. One gallon of lacquer thinner in a half full fuel tank, then run the tank out the rest of the way and refuel- see if it works for you. It's cheaper than CataClean by a long shot too. Give it a shot.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
AS stated above, this first thing to do is disable the VCM- I did this on my sister's 11 Odyssey that was starting to throw a misfire code every now and then, I'm sure the P0420 code would have been soon to follow but after installing the disabler, no problems at all + the van seems to ride and accelerate much more smoothly.
Now, the other part of my post here will have a lot of detractors- all I will say is that it worked for me once the P0420 code popped up on my 2005 Accord (same deal- it would come on for a bit and I would reset it, then it would come back on again a couple months later, implying that the cat was just getting to be on the threshold of dirty/clogged enough to trigger that code.) As another poster stated above, there are certain off the shelf chemical products you can buy to try to deal with this- BUT the product I used on my Accord that has seemingly solved the problem is lacquer thinner. Various YT videos on this trick- it won't harm anything in your fuel/ engine/ exhaust systems, and might clear the code if your cat is just on the edge of being below efficiency. One gallon of lacquer thinner in a half full fuel tank, then run the tank out the rest of the way and refuel- see if it works for you. It's cheaper than CataClean by a long shot too. Give it a shot.
I second that.
A muzzler will help to prolong the life of your mounts and CATs, and you have 3 of them.
Lacquer thinner will help if your cat is bordering the threshold.
Take it in for emissions test as soon as the Readiness status is completed so get a cheap reader if you don't have one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts