Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Odyssey EX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Odyssey EX with about 366k miles. Threw two codes at the same time (suspicious?).

P0706: transmission rang sensor open
P1456: evap system leak

• First, wondering why both of these would happen at the same time. Computer confused? Is one falsely triggering the other?
  • Second, not too worried about the P1456. Get to that later.
  • Third, before ordering a new transmission range switch to fix P0706, tried to see how hard it would be to remove the old one. Looks simple except I literally spent two hours trying to unplug it without success. Even removed the front driver's side wheel to get better access. Can't replace if I can't unplug. Had a son release the locking tab from above while I did all the pulling from underneath.
(We tried releasing the plug catch about every possible way we could think of. Seems that the release is on the top of the switch socket and supposed to push down on the passenger side of the release lever. Also tried pulling up the driver's side of the release lever. Tried other things too.)

Anyone have any tips, tricks, for unplugging the transmission range switch?

Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
did you check the gas cap? the P1456 code can get thrown for a bad or missing gas cap.
I had that code on my 2001EX, and it was the evap canister under the drivers seat.

do an advanced search on this forum for those codes for 1999-2004 odyssey, lots of hits.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
watch the video...

the transmission code, will leave that to the other more experienced folks to comment on.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Signs of this failing is the light on the dash does not light up on the gear you are in as you shift thru all the gears - down and back up. Or hard to shift out of park. I got mine from autozone for $100 shipped. I missed a sale on ebay for $70 oem many years ago. Its located right at the driver side wheel well. Easy job. Just have to reach in at back of tranny for the harness connection.

·
Registered
8,672 Posts
Try pushing on the connector first before opening the release and pulling the connector off.

·
Registered
2001 Odyssey EX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello everyone. Thanks for the feedback.

P1456: I already re-seated the gas cap and that didn't seem to help. Will test the gas cap first before anything else.

P0706: Lots of searching on this forum didn't uncover info about my specific trouble - unplugging the transmission range switch. I did try pushing in the plug first before pushing the release. Tried prying the plug out with a plastic tool. Tried every combination of manipulating the release - pushing down and pulling up each end while pulling the plug after making sure it was fully seated so that the catch wasn't binding.

The other problem is that the plug body has almost nothing to grab a hold of - my fingers tend to slide off and I end up pulling on the wires. Not good.

Will keep trying and let you all know how it goes.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Try using a long nose pliers to pinch the release tab and a flat screw driver to pry open where it splits. Always work for me when its really tight. Remove the harness connection from the clip to get a better access.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can remove the bolts that attach the sensor to transmission, that will give you more room to disconnect the sensor plug. Prior to removing the sensor mark the position on sensor and transmission, with car in park. You can open up the sensor, it is held together with three screws, and clean the contact points and reassemble it. Take some photos of the open sensor so that you can put it back together. It is a simple mechanical sliding switch. You will save yourself some cash. Make sure all the pins in the plug are clean and have not slipped back out when the wires were tugged.

·
Registered
2001 Odyssey EX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks so much for all of the advice. Have an interesting development. On the theory that the two apparently unrelated codes being thrown at the same time indicate a "confused" computer, I disconnected the battery for a few hours and reconnected it. CEL cleared and the Ody has been driven about 80-100 miles with no CEL.
So at this point I'm not going to take any action unless the code is thrown again. I'll post if it shows up again soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts