Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got P0740 on our '01 Odyssey, 135K miles. It is only 15K miles on a rebuilt transmission. I changed the transmission fluid with ATF-DW1 and noted only a little bit of material on the drain plug. The fluid (previously ATF-Z1) was greyish-red, and had been last changed at 120K miles.

I removed and checked both the "Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Valve - Shift Solenoid Valve A", and the "A/T Clutch Pressure control Solenoid Valve A and B". The two solenoids on each part appeared to click and move normally when +12V was applied. To my surprise, the filter screens (five in total) were completely clear.

I then drove at 60 mph, and after a minute the TCS and MIL lights came back with P0740 again. There are still no apparent symptoms during driving.

Other posts indicate that clogging of the screens, and sometimes, failed solenoids, are a main cause of this code. Obviously the transmission is on its way out, but what is there for me to do at this point if the solenoids and screens seem to be fine? If I take it to any shop they will just want to replace the transmission right away, but is there nothing I can do to get some more life out of it?

·
Registered
305 Posts
What warranty did you get with your rebuilt transmission?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought the van with the rebuilt already installed, though I did not get the paperwork. The rebuilt apparently had a 12-month warranty and as the van had been parked and for sale for some time, so there were only few months left on the warranty by the time I bought it.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Yhe valves could be sluggish. About the only other thing in the diagnostic procedure is checking the oil pressure.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This could probably be easily looked up, but do you know offhand where one would tap into the pressurized side of the hydraulic system to get a reading? The place where the Magnefine filter is would not work as the system is not pressurized there (as far as I know). Also, would Autozone or O'Reilly (formerly Kragen) have a gauge with the necessary fittings?

·
Registered
2 Posts
P0740 code on honda means your Torque Converter is falling apart or the Torque Converter o-ring is damage.

I just had my civic transmission rebuild for the same issue. I'm running aftermarket Torque Converter, Alto Red Eagle clutches, amsoil atf, magnefine filter and original solenoid.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will it fail suddenly, or just gradually start slipping?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey, check out this article. I found this while doing research to rebuild my own transmission. This could apply in your case since your rebuilded transmission only have 15k miles on it. You either have a defective TCC or one that is burn up because the rebuilder did not do a good job rebuilding the valve body inside your transmission, thus, cause TCC to burn up quickly and slip.

http://www.gearsmagazine.com/view.ashx?article=20a83f75-ba7c-41c5-9bb1-78806fa6ee1d

1 - 8 of 8 Posts