Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 with 167,000. I have now entered the club I really didn't want to be a part of.

About 750 miles ago the code appeared. Only thing I've noticed with my tranny before the code was a clunk going from 1-2nd, sometimes I could baby it by decreasing the gas pedal before shift.

Now the code is on and I don't feel any difference in the shifting, maybe sometimes it doesn't seem to go into overdrive, but not sure. RPM's are about 2400 at 80mph (gps would call it 76mph) I can't remember what my rpms are usually at this speed on flat surface.
I've deleted the code a few times but it always come back around 15 miles of driving and my inspection is due at the end of this month in NYS. Maybe it'll pass with little miles on it before CEL comes back on.

Any help is appreciated.

Andy

·
Registered
2 Posts
The clutch material from the torque converter lockup and clutch packs is clogging up the solenoids. I've heard you can buy alittle time by cleaning the solenoid screens and tubes on the transmission, but the internal transmission filter will eventually get clogged. This will cause fluid starvation and will cause damage to the clutch drums. Had the same thing happen to mine. I ended up biting the bullet and had the transmission rebuilt before it got any worse. I thing Odyssey is Japanese for "needs transmission". The same way Accord stands for "needs CV joints". As good as the rest of the van is, I think it's worth having the transmission rebuilt. My Father in law had a 99 and the transmission went out at 100k. When he traded it in it had over 260K and we never even changed the fluid once. He towed with the van and we took it on several trips thru the mountains. The up front cost is a shocker, but if you spread it out over time it makes it alittle better.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ugh. Now you have a transmission issue to go along with your no-start issue.
Yup, I've been so busy gigging this summer I've barely had anytime to keep with the 4 motorcycles + sidecar, two cars, three bicycles, lawn mower, sno blower, roto tiller and the van. Hmm maybe I should simplify. :)

My four year old is the most important and she turns a good wrench.

I'll look into cleaning the solenoids out, I remember seeing a post somewhere.
The 05-09's are starting to look pretty good at the moment.

Andy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts