Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 01 Ody EX with 126540 miles on her and today the TCS and CEL came on. I took the car to Autozone and got the code P0740 from the nice gentleman behind the counter. I know there is a number of threads on this awesome site but I just would like to know what I should do now? I read: pray and save money, or take it to the shop, and all sorts of things. I would like to know what to do first before I take it to Honda or to the tranny shop if anything. Are there things I should do or check 1st? I know this is a long known about problem and I know we are all tired of hearing about the next one but I could use some help. Thanks in advance.:confused:

·
Registered
664 Posts
Sounds like it got hot and you got issues. I'd follow the screen cleaning procedures, cooler install, and drain fill transmission with synthetic fluid.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Take it back to the dealer (Honda?) that you purchased from 13,000 miles ago and ask for goodwill assistance from Honda for a remanufactured transmission. Do not clear the P0740 code. Good luck.

Just in case you did not see the thread in my signature line below on our 2001s...

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
The official Honda policy seems to call for AT replacement whenever the P0740 code shows up. So be prepared for that - the dealer will not even discuss significant troubleshooting or other repairs.

I agree on pursuing the goodwill as much as possible. I've had 3 AT's replaced on my '99 with goodwill, but I'm also the original owner.

As you've probably read through the list, depending on what non-replacement repairs you make, you may be able to get many more miles out of it before replacing the AT. Sometimes the P0740 shows up before any symptoms do. Filter cleaning, fluid drain+filling, solenoid testing, etc. may get you more miles.

Good luck, many of us have been there before - multiple times.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
P0740 code

Well, the obvious happened. Took it back to the dealer and lo and behold I was told that I need a new transmission. Talked about getting "Goodwill" and I got the, "you must be kidding" look. So I guess you can add me to the list of Ody owners looking fro a new tranny.

·
Registered
664 Posts
You should be able to get a rebuilt one for less than what honda charges. Just call around and see what you can find.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Re: P0740 code

blakefan04 said:
Well, the obvious happened. Took it back to the dealer and lo and behold I was told that I need a new transmission. Talked about getting "Goodwill" and I got the, "you must be kidding" look. So I guess you can add me to the list of Ody owners looking fro a new tranny.
What did the dealer quote you to fix the tranny? In my case it was originally at $4,300, but I then asked for assistance and they later came back to me with a $3,800 price with a three year warranty.

In the end, we just ended up trading the '01 and got a pre-owned 2006 EXL.

Good luck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I may have caught a break!

Okay, I have a friend who knows a mechanic who is willing to do the work to fix my transmission. My question is: What parts do I or should I replace in the tranny? The Honda dealer told me that the torque converter clutch system failed but I am not sure what all that truly means. Anyone know the parts I need to replace? He is willing to rebuild the thing if I get him the parts needed and the fluid. Any help would be appreciated. :)

·
Registered
664 Posts
Re: I may have caught a break!

blakefan04 said:
Okay, I have a friend who knows a mechanic who is willing to do the work to fix my transmission. My question is: What parts do I or should I replace in the tranny? The Honda dealer told me that the torque converter clutch system failed but I am not sure what all that truly means. Anyone know the parts I need to replace? He is willing to rebuild the thing if I get him the parts needed and the fluid. Any help would be appreciated. :)
The parts to fully rebuild the thing cost less than 600 bucks. So if you get a transmission for around 2k with a transmission cooler and filter installed you are doing pretty good.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any idea about all the parts I need to rebuild the whole thing? If this guy is willing to rebuild it for me, I am going to jump on it. The rest of the Ody is in way to good of shape not to. Also, which trans cooler should I get? I dont haul anything with the van so I am not sure which one I should use. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anybody know how to find out the TAG ID for the tranny in my ODY? I know it is either B7YA or B7TA but how do I know for sure?

·
Registered
6 Posts
did you look for the tag at the front of the tranny. on mine it was a tag on the front, look to the right of the tranny dipstick it should be in that area on the tranny. are you getting any slipping? i wasnt getting slipping gears on mine but i got the p740. i got it rebuilt for 1850 but it doesnt really feel like new. i mean yeah it was smooth the first couple of miles but then i started to feel the shifts and still knocks into reverse, not bang into reverse like before and there's no gear engagement delay like before. i had 73000 miles on it thats why i got it rebuilt. if i had to do it again, i would've went with remanufactured. but thats my two cents.
and yeah i went to the dealer for goodwill , they never called me back.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Its an 01 odyssey.

Search of google.

This will get you a Jasper transmission, it comes with the transmission cooler for the shop to install.
http://www.jasperengines.com/find-installer.php put in zip to find local installer.

This will get you a level ten kit for rebuilding but bear in mind you most likely need a tourqe converter solenoids and transmission cooler too. Be better off sending yours in for the 3400 bucks to get a bullet proof one.

http://www.levelten.com/Level_10_Honda_PTS_Bulletproof_Rebuilding_Kit_p/hon-ja110-1000.htm

Here is a basic master kit

http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/MPZA.html still need solenoids.

Really, you'd be better off getting a Jasper kit in the grand scheme of things.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, she's in the shop to see what damage is done. I CAN'T wait to hear what they have to say. It ought to be GOOD! :confused:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got THE call today. The shop tells me that I need a new torque converter, Solenoid Assy., Overdrive clutch drum - 4th gear, and a controller (TCM). Price tag: $ 3,160.00 + tax. Yuck.

What to do?:(

·
Registered
664 Posts
Jasper transmission is going to give you the best bang for buck since it comes with all of that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I actually got the shop owner to come down to $ 2,935.54 out the door. The Jasper would of been $ 3,800.00. I would deffinately liked to have the Jasper, but in this economy, I need to go with the other. Sad, but true.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Spend a little extra and have the shop install a transmission cooler 20,000 grvw and a magnefine filter. It shouldn't cost you much more (100-150) and it will greatly extend the life of your transmission.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts