Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 EX with 75000 miles, engine light and TCS light went on last night. Stop the car and re star engine TCS light went off, then read the code P1491 came out ( I think I am still under EGR extended warranty), drive the car for little while and the engine light went OFF too ????
Is this normal? the engine light just went off without reseting it.

·
Super Moderator
1,175 Posts
Looks like your Ody is still eligible for TSB 05-026:

Warranty Extension: EGR Valve Contamination or EGR Port Clogging May Cause DTC P0401, DTC P1491, or Engine Hesitation/Surge

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A05-026.PDF

The CEL (check engine light) went off on its own without the need to clear the code or reset the ECU, since the system did not see a constant issue and only an intermittent one. That is how the system works.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
A 2003 registered in 2002 could be very clost to the 8 year limit so better check when it was first registered or get it to the dealer fast........

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice, so when the engine light went off the engine code is still stored in the computer. Is that right?

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
It should be in the history. As to whether the dealer will do anything about is questionable as the problem was intermitent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is an awesome forum! I was experiencing hesitation/surging at 45-50 mph, just after up shifting to 5th gear. I thought it was a transmission problem, but thanks to this forum I found out this is an EGR problem, and better yet, it is covered under warranty! I printed out the technical service bulletins (TSBs) listed in the posts, 04-029 and 05-026, and gave them to the service rep at the local Honda dealer. The check engine light (CEL) had come on after I made the appointment and sure enough the code was 1491 "EGR Valve Lift Insufficient Detected".

The dealer replaced the EGR valve for free and the car runs fine once again! (I have a 2003 EX with 70K miles.)

Thank you all for your help!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts