Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings, what’s the risk of ignoring P3400 with a “muzzler” installed?

My 2010 EX-L just threw P3400, cylinder deactivation system bank 1.

If it’s somehow related, I changed the plugs this weekend for the first time at 157k miles since becoming van’s second owner at 60k. I added a half-quart of engine oil, it was at the bottom of the hashed area on the dipstick.

I also replaced the front brake pads and rotors, flushed the brake fluid, replaced the air filter, replaced the power steering pump, and replaced the accessory drive belt - but I guess none of that really matters in context.

This afternoon was the first time the van has moved, except for a quick check ride yesterday around the block.

The code popped up when the wife was driving back on a 20-mile round trip. She said the vehicle driveability did not change with the appearance of the code. Our 16-year old pulled the code when she got home. I’ll check the engine oil level after work.

Having learned about disabling the VCM over the holidays, my VCMtuner arrived this afternoon. I’ll install it Wednesday evening.

So there’s my question: what’s the risk of ignoring P3400 with a “muzzler” installed?

Thanks —

·
Registered
472 Posts
Have you erased the code, then tried driving around until the van "should" engage VCM to see if the problem occurs again? The quick ride check would not activate the VCM unless certain prerequisites were met.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will do! But the question remains - is it safe to ignore P3400 when a VCM cutoff has been installed?

Restated: the code could be cleared prior to installing the mod, but if the problem remained would it reappear after the mod has been installed? Would it even matter if it did?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts