Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 Odyssey EX-L. I replaced VVT solenoid gaskets bank 2 (front) (due to oil leaking on alternator and ruining it). Drove several miles > MIL came on (P3497 only) and running rough with loss of power. If I clear and reset codes > MIL comes on immediately (same P3497) and power loss continues. However, if I clear codes and engine is cool, then it runs fine and no MIL, UNTIL engine warms up (about 5-6 miles on interstate) and then MIL (P3497) and runs rough with loss of power again. I replaced the VVT oil pressure switch > no change. Do I need to replace the VVT solenoid to fix this? Is this just coincidence, or did I damage something when replacing those gaskets (simple, easy procedure that was uneventful).

·
Registered
16 Posts
The P1497 code didn't show up until after the gaskets were changed, correct?

Below is the recommended fixes provided by BlueDriver. You've already replaced the pressure switch. Try topping off the oil?

DECODED: 2012 Honda Odyssey
Model Year: 2012
Make Honda
Model Odyssey
Trim Level Unknown
P3497 CODE DEFINITION:
• Cylinder Deactivation System Bank 2

TOP REPORTED FIX:
• Replaced Variable Timing Electronic Control (VTEC) Oil Pressure Switch w/P3400
FREQUENTLY REPORTED FIXES:
• Adjusted Engine Oil Level w/P3400
• Replaced Engine Oil w/P3400
OTHER REPORTED FIXES:
• Replaced Engine w/P3400
• Replaced Engine Oil Filter w/P3400
• Replaced Oil Pump Relief Valve Spring w/P3400
• Cleaned Rear Rocker Arm Oil Control Valve w/P3400
• Replaced Rear Rocker Arm Oil Control Valve w/P3400
• Replaced Variable Camshaft Timing (VCT) Solenoid w/P3400

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying. The oil level is already full. I think I'm going to have to replace the VVT solenoid assembly (spool valve).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m having the same code. Can’t seem to find the problem. Were you able to fix the issue
Yes, it was my fault. When I replaced the VVT solenoid gaskets (NOT the entire spool valve, just the assembly on top), I used some gasket sealer on the rubber gaskets (as recommended on a YouTube vid I saw), the sealer got squeezed out of the gasket and a thin string of sealer went down the hole and must have been blocking something. I was able to removed the sealer, fortunately, and the P3497 coded has not come on since. Also, I can find no more oil leakage. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same issue here... Are use the sealer on the valve only not on the block and only on the outside edges not inside. Did you just take it apart and clean it up and put it back together without the gasket sealer? Did you spray something down the hall to free it up or vacuum upward?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
2012 Odyssey EX-L. I replaced VVT solenoid gaskets bank 2 (front) (due to oil leaking on alternator and ruining it). Drove several miles > MIL came on (P3497 only) and running rough with loss of power. If I clear and reset codes > MIL comes on immediately (same P3497) and power loss continues. However, if I clear codes and engine is cool, then it runs fine and no MIL, UNTIL engine warms up (about 5-6 miles on interstate) and then MIL (P3497) and runs rough with loss of power again. I replaced the VVT oil pressure switch > no change. Do I need to replace the VVT solenoid to fix this? Is this just coincidence, or did I damage something when replacing those gaskets (simple, easy procedure that was uneventful).
This TSB posted by @EE4Life, mentions if you remove front lower rocker arm oil control valve, you will create issues for yourself.
Page 3

1 - 7 of 7 Posts