Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a recent trip back from ice skating, our Check Engine Light and TCS light came on at the same time. We pulled over and checked to make sure the fluids and etc were ok under the hood. All was. When we cranked the van back up, the TCS was off, but the CEL stayed on. If we drove over 55mph the TCS would come back on. We took it to our local honda dealer to be diagnosed. It came back with P704 code. They told us we need a new transmission. This honda is a 2001 Honda LX with 147,000 miles on it. It has been well maintained. We bought it when it had 40,000 miles on it back in 2002. The thing is, the van is driving great. There is no indication that something is wrong with the transmission. The dealership told us to expect to pay around $5500 for the refurbished transmission and labor. The car isn't valued at that much. Could there have been an error on their diagnostic side? We have pretty much decided that we cant afford to put that much into a car that isn't worth that much to begin with. Thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
97 Posts
SEARCH!!!

Ok your new so I'll go easy on you..hehe

;)

Has the transmission ever been replaced before?

My check engine light has been on for atleast 2 years and my 2000 LX van is still going strong (140,000 miles)!

By the way I have the same code on mine but I drive my ody every day and its a VERY VERY reliable van !

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
First verify the code you reported as there is no code p0704 listed in the service manual.
Second look at the color of the transmission fluid. Has it ever been changed?
Third do a 3x drain and fill to get fresh fluid in and see if the code stays.

Correct transmission code is needed to diagnose the problem.

Honda never repairs anything on transmissions. If it gets a transmission code they just replace it. Have a good local transmission shop look at it and see what they say. Also read some of the transmission threads here as there are many.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'd be interested to know the weather conditions when this occurred. About 4 years and 50,000 miles ago I had the TCS and CEL come on when driving in an extreme downpour and making a panic stop that kicked in the ABS. I stopped and restarted the car and they both came on again. I drove home and the next day went to Advance Auto to borrow a diagnostic tool and pulled the dreaded P0704 code. On a whim I cleared the code and it never returned. I'm now at 114,xxx miles on the original transmission. I've never seen the code again.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm now at 114,xxx miles on the original transmission. I've never seen the code again.

Just an update. I'm now at 137,xxx miles (about 75,000 miles from my P704 code) and we have yet to experience transmission trouble. This is the original transmission in our 2002 EXL which we bought new and had the dealer install the trailer-package transmission cooler at delivery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts