Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came home today to find the top of my Odyssey with a huge spot missing paint, between the top of the windshield and the moonroof....roughly the size of my hand, clean gone, down to the bare primer/metal...this is an 08 bought new, no accidents, Tafetta white. Going to the dealer tomorrow..this is a $41,000 quality?:mad:

·
Registered
94 Posts
It's not just Honda... My 09 Armada had pretty much all four corners of the roof ate up. Garage parked and waxed about three times a year.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Came home today to find the top of my Odyssey with a huge spot missing paint, between the top of the windshield and the moonroof....roughly the size of my hand, clean gone, down to the bare primer/metal...this is an 08 bought new, no accidents, Tafetta white. Going to the dealer tomorrow..this is a $41,000 quality?:mad:
What happened to it, did it just fall off?

·
Registered
186 Posts
My Blue 05 hood , roof was repainted by Honda due a paint problem at the factory,,, might want to call a Honda rep and see if white is included in this recall.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If it is dark blue it is a known issue and they will paint the entire top of the vehicle. If it is not dark Blue I would be calling Honda.

·
Registered
193 Posts
That sucks and happened across all the manufacturers. Environmental regs forced changes in paint formulations and many of them didn't work the first time.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Today's cars really have issues with there paints.
My Taffeta White Ody, '08 also, was painted under warranty twice. Once when the paint was gone like your situation on the rear quarter panel and the second time when it was rusting/bubbling under the paint under the driver's side step panel.

·
Registered
227 Posts
My Baltic Blue '08 is starting to lose paint in the door jamb areas, where it is visible with the doors closed. Not happy. :huh:

I spoke with the local dealer, they basically said "you're out of warranty, buzz off." The 20 year old paint on my MR2 looked & held-up better... and that was a non-clearcoated red!

This is my last Honda.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread however I came home today, parked the Odyssey in the garage, and as I was walking away I noticed something on the roof - pretty much the same exact paint issue as the OP!

I will be visiting my Honda dealer tomorrow. My 08 Touring is still under the 100k warranty and hope this gets fixed without issue *fingers crossed*.

[/IMG]

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just realized this morning that my 2009 Odyssey has the same problem. My van has only 49K miles. I hope I won't be charged for this... IMG_0104.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cbr and Rugby, good luck with this. I paid ZERO to have my whole roof re-painted. The dealer took it up with the regional guy, and they agreed to do it as a goodwill repair. They arranged it directly with the local body shop, and I told them I needed a loaner too....i think it was 2 or 3 days. I had bought a new Pilot years prior from this dealer, and had done much of the service intervals under the warranty from the dealer, but I did not have an extended warranty. The dealer said he thought it was more out of embarrassment that they didn't want a 2008 Odyssey (which looks exactly like the 2009 and 2010 ones too) looking so bad out there on the road. Again, these should not be looking like those purple Dodge Neons that we have all seen.

I will tell you that once you see it like you have, the paint starts peeling off a at rather good clip...and I don't think it would stop until it hit a panel seam. The guy at the auto body place said the factory primer didn't look right...it was far too smooth. Ironic that in each of our cases in was in the same section in front of the moonroof...the leading edge of the airflow over the roof must be the weak point

·
Registered
7 Posts
Resurrection once more; my '08 Taffeta White is peeling in the exact same location. It just started a couple of days ago. I'm not pleased. In 50 years I've never had a car do this; why does it have to happen on the most expensive vehicle I've ever purchased???

cdo

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread however I came home today, parked the Odyssey in the garage, and as I was walking away I noticed something on the roof - pretty much the same exact paint issue as the OP!

I will be visiting my Honda dealer tomorrow. My 08 Touring is still under the 100k warranty and hope this gets fixed without issue *fingers crossed*.

[/IMG]

·
Registered
469 Posts
Wow! My ODY's roof has about 7-9 pea's size holes of missing clear coat all over...Wondering if I should take a visit to Honda, I do have HondaCare. Yikes I wonder if my roof will look like that too in a few more months!

·
Super Moderator
13,644 Posts
Wow! My ODY's roof has about 7-9 pea's size holes of missing clear coat all over...Wondering if I should take a visit to Honda, I do have HondaCare. Yikes I wonder if my roof will look like that too in a few more months!
IIRC, HondaCare does not cover paint. I believe for paint woes, you are stuck with the general Honda 5/60K warranty. They might do it out of goodwill but HondaCare will not cover this if I am not mistaken.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
My family used to race Soap Box Derby cars. There were a number of years when plastic shells of the Super Stock division were known to have issues where the paint would peel off in large chunks. "Early adopters" would spend hundreds of dollars on custom paint jobs only to have the large sections peel off within a few months.

At first they blamed their paint shops which seemed credible since the second paint job would typically hold for many years.

It was eventually determined that there was some sort of unseen-unfelt residue from the manufacturing process that prevented the primer from sticking to the shell. Most folks assumed it was left over from the release agent used when molding the shells. The peeling primer would remove the residue so the second paint job held up. Paint shops then began going through the "stripping process" on the brand new shells before painting them for the first time. This removed the unseen-unfelt residue and the primer (and paint) then held on tight.

Perhaps there is some sort of residue on the roofs of some Ody's preventing the paint from sticking. I wonder if the problem roofs could be back-tracked to a single source/manufacturing plant/manufacturing time period resulting in the root cause being discovered.

·
Registered
3 Posts
More of the same

We are the second owners of a white 2010 Odyssey. We bought it in Sept 2014, and a few months later, paint started peeling off in chunks above the windshield and in front of the sunroof. It looks exactly like the other photos posted in this thread! I'm SO disappointed to find out via the internet that this is due to crappy QC from Honda! I had no idea! I can't believe I just assumed, didn't even THINK otherwise, that Honda, the maker of the best, most popular minivan in existence, would have superior paint. I can't believe I assumed it, and I simultaneously am stunned that it's not true.

When purchasing this van, we sold, as a trade in, our silver 2002 Toyota Sienna. It had a stellar paint job. Not one known nick in the paint anywhere, and it was 12 years old.

I have an appointment with my local dealership's service department tomorrow. I don't see this going very smoothly...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts