Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed while at the dealer pointing out a problem with our 2011 EX that the paint on the front bumper is beginning to come off, right where it connects to the body on the driver's side. I believe it was just not put together very well, causing the paint to come off. Anyway, here is a picture so you know where to look on your van. It looks worse in person.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Hey, I think I have a smaller version of that on the same spot, but it does not look chipped. It might be related to the way bumpers are painted at the factory.

I got myself an OEM Honda touch-up paint so I may have found its first job :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I will look at mine again. I noticed a similar issue on my van in the same spot. It's as if the bumper and side panel are causing friction in some way either when it was installed of maybe when driving and the wind slightly moving it??

if you grip the bumper near the bottom on the side - you can move it slightly with your hand.... Don't know if the wind could make it do that or not?

I hope it does not get worse over time - it would look terrible if the paint started to peel / chip from the joint. I wonder how and if Honda will address this is it becomes a problem for everyone.

·
Registered
197 Posts
There was a TSB just posted today about this very issue. Look at the TSB sticky thread.

·
Registered
739 Posts
The Pilot has the exact same problem. Come on Honda, you gotta do better than this.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
TSB-004 Applied

Thread resurrection...

Finally got the time to apply this TSB. It really started to get ugly. The whole bumper is removed and painted. On the upside, some scratches are now gone, it looks spanking new.

Done by the dealer's collision center.

Lucky 1st year beta model, one of the first batches off the truck :p

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I delayed taking the van in for this TSB repair thinking they would do more harm than good, and I was right. I left our 2011 with 21,000 miles there for new front rotors and asked them to go ahead and do this TSB while waiting for the rotors to arrive. They painted part of the bumper, but then they chipped or rubbed paint off other parts. I will drop it off Monday morning for them to try again. It's not rocket science, so I do not know why this dealer's body shop does such crappy work!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has anyone had a dealer tell you they would not fix the paint issue with the claim that it was caused by bumping into something as opposed to friction?

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Has anyone had a dealer tell you they would not fix the paint issue with the claim that it was caused by bumping into something as opposed to friction?
I think a picture might help better to be honest, but I've owned many cars and of course I've bumped into things many times, none of them has had this issue (the scratches and peelings were somewhere else though :)) . In my case it was clear that it was friction against a non-well finished or oddly shaped surface, too much of a coincidence that it happened in both sides, and the bumper did not look misaligned at all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My van is at the dealers so I cant provide a picture. The peeling was on both sides though. One side, the peeling was on the bumper, the other it was on the car panel itself :(. To me it didn't appear to be from any accidental bumper bump. Will have to see what their "body shop" has to say about it.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
My van is at the dealers so I cant provide a picture. The peeling was on both sides though. One side, the peeling was on the bumper, the other it was on the car panel itself :(. To me it didn't appear to be from any accidental bumper bump. Will have to see what their "body shop" has to say about it.
What year is your car? It *seems* that it just affected the 2011s (early production batches)

·
Super Moderator
13,837 Posts
What year is your car? It *seems* that it just affected the 2011s (early production batches)
My 2007 has the same issue on one side. This has been a problem for a while. I never took it in. I do need to touch it up. It is a minute spot and a small paint chip at the joint peeled off eventually.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
My 2007 has the same issue on one side. This has been a problem for a while. I never took it in. I do need to touch it up. It is a minute spot and a small paint chip at the joint peeled off eventually.
Did Honda issue a TSB for yours as well? I did the touch-up thing, but it obviously came back after some time and got worse. The gap between the front bumper and the front fender needs to be increased (TSB 11-004)

·
Super Moderator
13,837 Posts
Did Honda issue a TSB for yours as well?
Not that I know of. I did NOT want to get my bumper repainted under any circumstance as they already had tried that with my fitment issues. I had posted a thread of the mismatch back in the day. So, I have been living with the problem and thankfully, it has not gotten worse. Quite a few of us in the 3rd gen had the same issue as well so it wasn't just me at the time either.

·
Registered
9 Posts
it was not covered. there are scratches on the bumper so they are claiming that the bumper hit something and that caused the problem. I have no way to prove that wrong. oh the issues of buying a used car :(. They quoted 400ish to fix the paint issue. The big problem for is that the paint is peeling on the drivers side on the bumper but on the passenger side it is peeling on the fender :( That concerns me more.. The metal is already turning color.. I think it should get it fixed. What do you guys think? I live in chicago and winters are bad especially with salt. :(

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
$400 for the bumper and the fender is not that bad in my opinion, when they repaired mine under the TSB I think the quote said $600+ (exaggerated cost that goes back to Honda I guess). Also, remember, they need to widen the gap between the bumper and the fender. see the TSB list (TSB 11-004) on the main forum page

Are they an authorized collision center? If they use the OEM paint (check the color code on the door jamb specs sticker) and they do the right thing it may not be thaaat noticeable, and even if it is, it's better than rust and bare plastic...

Here is a site to locate authorized collision centers:

Body Shop Locator

·
Registered
9 Posts
I assume it was an authorized place since it was the place that honda sent it to. I will have to find out where they sent it to and make sure. Thanks for the site. There were some small scratches on the sliding door and one under the door handle. They quoted 800 for all of those :(.

I was going to check some other body shops to compare prices. I would prefer to get it fixed correctly because winters are brutal out here. My concern is that touching it might make it worse.

They didn't widen the gap because it was not covered. They said that if they had done that work, they would have charged me. I will probably get this into the shop within the next month in order to beat the winter snow.

·
Super Moderator
13,837 Posts
You need to find a different dealer and take the print out of the TSB the next time you take it in.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts