Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took delivery of my TW '02. It's GREAT! I had Perma-Plate, an after market paint protection put on my 1988 jeep. It's lasted 14 years. The paint is in great shape. I know that paints have improved over the years and wondered if anyone had any thoughts on putting this or any other paint protection product on my ody.

Unfortunately my ody will be in a car port, instead of a garage so I want to protect the paint as best I can.

I am also looking at getting a dash protector for this same reason. Any ideas about a nice one?

·
Registered
47 Posts
hillbie,
Interesting to hear that you had perma plate paint protection on your l988 jeep and it lasted l4yrs. Did the water still bead up when you washed it and did it keep a shine for that period of time? I had a paint protection product put on my new 1985 mercedes...I think it was called ProShield and it lasted about 7yrs., keeping a great shine on a dark blue car. I don't do wax, and my husband was too busy to wax the car routinely, so the paint protection worked for us. I don't know about the quality of the Perma Plate protection, but it has not been highly regarded by anyone on this forum.
As far as a dash cover...you might try JCWhitney.com for 'everything automotive'
I see you live in Rancho Palos Verdes. I have relatives that live there and also in San Pedro.
Schnauzer

P

·
0 Posts
We have Perma Plate on our Ody. So far it seems allright (the Ody is in deperate need of a bath). They also applied some stuff to the interior that made it nice and shiny.

We've had our Ody for 2 months, with less than 2k miles on it, so there's obviously no noticeable paint deterioration. Honda has really good paint, my 7 year old Civic has lived outside its entire life and still looks great.

As you know, Perma Plate has special car wash that you have to use. I've barely made a dent in the bottle, but who knows how expensive the wash is. Oh, and I mix up a pitcher of it and run it through a power washer, saves time and elbow grease. But drying the van, you've gotta save the entire afternoon for that (that's a big factor in why I haven't given the Ody a bath!).

The dealer threw the PP into the sale, so we didn't shop around for different products. It's just what they use.

Michelle

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by schnauzer:
hillbie,
Interesting to hear that you had perma plate paint protection on your l988 jeep and it lasted l4yrs. Did the water still bead up when you washed it and did it keep a shine for that period of time?
</font>
The water beaded up for at least 7 yrs...maybe more. It doesn't bead up anymore, but it still has plenty of shine. I have never waxed the car even though perma plate supplied a kit. I just never thought I would keep the car that long. I would really like to use it again, and was hoping for more feed back from the forum

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by schnauzer:
hillbie,

I see you live in Rancho Palos Verdes. I have relatives that live there and also in San Pedro.
Schnauzer
</font>
My house overlooks San Pedro. My huband grew up there, so if anyone in your family went to school there, he probably knows them.

Palos Verdes is very large divided by the hill. I'm on the East side.

Hillary

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi All-
New to the boards...can anyone tell me what is a reasonable price to pay for paint protection? Thanks and keep the good info coming!

------------------
2001 GG EX -Sold
2002 GG EXL RES

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by vjody2:
Hi All-
New to the boards...can anyone tell me what is a reasonable price to pay for paint protection? Thanks and keep the good info coming!

</font>
Zero.

I can't find any research anywhere that says that aftermarket paint protection does any better than the original paint, especially on these new vehicles.

If anyone can cite some research or technical analysis (and not industry ads) I'd enjoy hearing about it.

Regards,

Maugham

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dash Topper is available from HandA-Accessories.com in different colors. Received mine but not installed - waiting for delivery of SS EX.

·
Registered
24 Posts
YES PLEASE Post technical proof that paint protection works.

I have a Firepepper RED Accord and love the car and colour but, it has swirls and I haven't even been to a soft cloth wash... I go to touchless or handwash with a ridiculously clean wash mitt.

I'm too lazy to wax my Accord.

Please, if there's any proof that this Paint stuff works and WHICH brands, I'll use them!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts