Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Painted front bumper that come shipped "folded" ? eg. MBI Auto, PaintNShip, etc. ?

448 13
Hello,

The front bumper has seen better days. :( The car has 221,000 miles on it. And has the original xpel ppf from 2002 install that's just looking really faded and yuck.

I could spend days with steaming, etc. to remove the ppf, and the sticky residues that it leaves behind. Underneath sticky residues if cleaned up okay, should leave the original bumper from 2002, before xpel went on.

Looking at reasonable cost option to replace the front bumper with pre-painted bumpers from online places. I'll do the swap myself, seem doable after looking at few DIY's.

Options are,

a) $280+tax that is ship "folded" (expect some imperfections)
b) $560+tax that is ship "unfolded" (0 imperfections, so they say)

Anyone here has done business with online places (eg. MBI Auto, PaintNShip, etc.) that sell pre-painted bumpers and used their "economy" (aka. shipped "folded") bumper?

Thanks.

Car Grille Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX
298 Posts
It’s worth getting the folded one if you are getting the primed one with intention of painting it. I replaced the one in my 06 years back. It came out perfect. When all is said and done, you can’t see the crease of the fold. We had the paint mixed at Napa.
Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

· Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX
298 Posts
how well did it hold up to stone chips and cracks?
The paint job was what I made of it with the small compressor I had and a cheap spray gun from Harbor freight.

I found the bumper more brittle, thinner and not as flexible as the original. But it looked good and was a perfect fit. Unfortunately, we hit a raccoon a few months later and it shattered. Pretty sure the original would have held. So we bought another one and re-did the whole thing. Luckily I had paint and clear coat left over.

The bumper I got was MBI at Amazon. It was just primered. It was cheap, like 78 dollars back then.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts