Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,
I'm sure many people know about this, just thought it'd be helpful for those out there (come on, fess up!) that have broken/cracked a trim panel and needed a good, strong fix.

Epoxy, adhesives, etc... are lowsy on the ABS trim panels so this is what I've been doing (on the RARE occasion that this happens)..

Here a pic...

This isn't the best example... you can make it look almost perfect (on visible side) if you are carefull. I use a high power (230W) Radio Shack "gun style" soldering iron for this panel fix technique as well as most of my car audio work.

Just bend some paper clips into loops (I did "S" shapes in this example) and melt them into the panel using the soldering iron. You can also seal the seam too a bit. Be carefull not to burn through though! Gentle pressure on top of the wire with the heated iron is all it takes.

Enjoy!
-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

[This message has been edited by shinjohn (edited 10-17-2001).]

·
Registered
564 Posts
SJ -

I love it when people share tips like this. You should see what I go through to repair some panels. They always look good in the end, but it's way more work than your idea.A

And of course picture is worth about 1034 words.

Thanks!

- Darell

------------------
"Some people say you can't take it with you. I'm taking it with me." - Steve Marin
Future: 2002 EXL-NAV, TW (with RES wanted!)
Current: 2001 Civic EX, silver
Leaving: 2001 V70 T5 - White w/ graphite leather

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by darelldd:
SJ -

I love it when people share tips like this. You should see what I go through to repair some panels. They always look good in the end, but it's way more work than your idea.A

And of course picture is worth about 1034 words.

Thanks!

- Darell
</font>
Glad I could help. I tried all kinds of repair methods before I tried this, and nothing really held well, esp. over the long term. The automotive env. really is harsh with the temp cycling etc...

Anyhow, hope to meet ya face-to-face in Nov!

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
196 Posts
Very useful tip. Maybe Jim can post it in the tech section.

------------------
Tom
2002 MB EX-L Soon!

·
Registered
564 Posts
SJ -

If my van ever comes in, I'll be there. Count on it. (hopefully with no broken panels yet!) My wife just rolled her eyes, but I'll drag her along too.

- Darell

·
Registered
148 Posts
I just wanted to add that hot glue will also work, it is a double effect. The hot glue will bind the parts together and at the same time, the temperature of the glue will melt the existing plastic and in effect, cause a stronger bond.

------------------

Here to help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts